DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accident rate data?

I need to restate that. I believe the graph is saying that the statistical incidence of propellers falling off UAVs occurs with “average” frequency on worldwide basis. Sure would like to see the supporting data on that one.

I need to restate that. I believe the graph is saying that the statistical incidence of propellers falling off UAVs occurs with “average” frequency on worldwide basis. Sure would like to see the supporting data on that one.
It's nonsense.
Looking at that "data" from Airdata shows that propeller fell off is as commonly seen as Interference,or Sprayer turned ON or Home Point Recorded.
Clearly the Airdata list is not a useful indication of how commonly faults occur.

Reactions: Thomas B and Chip
What "Dropshot" wants to know, is actually what is obligatory in Brazil. When we are authorized to fly we must fill in a pre-flight checklist, which must show a matrix of frequency of happening and severity when it happens. Its is similar to what planes have to do before they take off. I based my take-off check list on:
Each one listed gives you what to look for and what the frequency is and it severity.
It's hard to tell what he really wanted but as he's not in Brazil, it's unlikely that this is what he was looking for.
But as explained in post #22, that Airdata list is not at all useful as a source of frequency information.
Props don't fall off as often as home points are recorded.
You'd be better off just making up your own numbers.

Hello Chip I just used this as an example, but creating a checklist that makes sense and is easy to fill out, helps me fly safe. In Brazil all (comercially flown) drones are to be insured. This is not for the drone itself but for damages to third parties. So the checklist is to assure that the insurance company cannot blame you for any neglect. if something like this picture shows up.
1603391467303.png
Than you can kiss you coverage goodbye. All these items can be solved easily. But must be OKay. before liftoff.

The checklist needs to include at least:
Batteries OK
Propellers OK
Body OK
Weather OK (it can sometimes be to hot to fly), overheating the battery
Number of satelites visible, etc

And all other related items.

Last edited:
If any of you has a better data source for incident/accident tracking, please inform.
The Airdata information suggests that props fall off as often as home points are recorded (That's every flight).
The Airdata list is junk.
You would be better off making up your own numbers.

I'll start for you.
Props fall off = extremely rare

Most hardware problems are rare or extremely rare incidents.

I am sure the established air industry uses safety as an argument to prevent uncontrolled growth. To a certain extent I can understand, because there are still idiots who post stupid flights in YouTube.
I heard about 3 fatal accidents worldwide until now. 2 involved home brew large drones where the operator did not survive due to pilot error, the third one was a guy who drowned while trying to save his drone that crashed into deep water....
Compare that to the fatalities caused by normal planes and choppers!.
Trying to find objective data won't help in getting more realistic rules, I'm afraid.

Compare that to the fatalities caused by normal planes and choppers!

But you also need to consider the number of planes and choppers flying world-wide and the total number of hours flown. The number of drone hours flown is insignificant in comparison. Statistically, the fatality rate in civil aviation is very low.

True, but still I think that safety is used as an argument for law making, while the underlying reason is to prevent a huge growth of drones...
The worry most people have with drones is privacy, not safety... Many people think all drones they see are spying on them and yes, I understand their feelings. That is why I show people the footage and send them a copy or a link afterwards.

Yet, still it would be interesting to have objective data on hobby drone safety!

Last edited:
I think they data is also relevant. In the longer term getting the legislation changed to better suit the technology, capabilities and safety features in the future. Data driven arguments I believe would be more effective for the FAA to endorse legislative change.

I think they data is also relevant. In the longer term getting the legislation changed to better suit the technology, capabilities and safety features in the future. Data driven arguments I believe would be more effective for the FAA to endorse legislative change.

I think that as long as there’s no requirement for everyone who purchases a drone to complete some form of mandatory training, the legislation is only likely to get more stringent, rather than less.

But the FAA doesn't work that way so data-driven arguments are unlikely to be considered. Airspace regulations are put in place to minimize risk no matter how slight. For example, we all know the likelihood of a drone losing power whilst flying over people and then plummeting to crash onto someone's head - but while there is even an infinitesimal chance of it happening the FAA will not change or delete the relevant regulation.

For the FAA to relax this rule it might be a case of a drone having to be equipped with automated redundancy so that if power is lost, a backup system comes into play to enable the drone operator to safely land the aircraft.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun