DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track 2.0 - Objects Identified

SCK

Reactions
the user manual says that the "M2 can automatically identify up to 16 objects and uses different tracking strategies to track people, vehicles, and boats" I am reading this as the M2 is smart enough to "know" if you want it to tack a car vs person (for 16 different things) Do we know what the 16 items are that it can identify? Or am I reading that comment wrong?

My reason for asking is that I have a retriever that I think it would be cool to have the M2 track while she is retrieving. Has anybody tried this? My guess is that the M2 would have issues staying with her when she first accelerates and have a big issue if she enters the water and starts to swim.

I am not comfortable enough to fly over water yet (newby) but it is a shot I would really like to try out. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and did it work?

In general, the M2 tracking abilities are a lot better than the original Mavic. That said, I've tried tracking my pointer while afield with my Mavic 2 without much success. A dog in the water might fare better due to simpler background. On the other hand, most of the dog is submerged. I suspect you'll do better improving your piloting skills and not depending on the auto tracking capability.

I noticed with any object it is tracking, as long as the object (clothing or dog vests) are very distinct against the background and bright, the M2 is capable to track through rather difficult situations (objects disappearing behind bushes or trees etc). I have not had much success (yet) tracking my dog (German Shepherd SAR dog) when he is working (searching). He is most likely simply moving too fast and erratic. I have not tried it while he is wearing the bright red SAR vest - it may help.

I have used Autopilot and Airspace in the past with my Phantom and even with the Mavic Pro where I attached a phone to the dog's vest and established an "Airspace" connection between the dog's phone and the controller's phone. That worked reasonably well as the positioning is strictly based on GPS and altimeter. However, since Autopilot is going by the wayside (so it seems) and does not support the M2, I have not used it recently.

For "follow me" there is really no better (more consistent) way than what Autopilot/Airspace provided. Especially since it allowed you to break the WiFi distance barrier with Airspace over cellular internet (if you have good cell service of course).

thanks for the inputs. I will test it out as soon as I have a weekend without rain.... im guessing it will be a no go when she hits the water but if it can keep up with her at the start of a land retrieve in a cut field, I think it may follow. I will just have to see. Again thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom