DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track Boat

Bensherrard1

Reactions
Good evening,

Trying out active trace tomorrow with kids on the tube behind the boat. Can I manually control height/distance while MP2 is in active track or will that cancel my subject I have selected? Thank you!

Be careful with your RTH settings. Either return to you or hover, not the takeoff point. Also understand the limitations of flying over water. You might prefer “Follow me” mode. Read up, Fly safe

I have a friend with a boat who is after me to follow his boat while cruising on the water, easy for him to say, it sounds exciting and intriguing ........ I too do not have the guts.

Where is the problem. Stop the boat, hand catch the drone. Easy (turn off "landing protection" to make it really easy).
Flying over water is not a problem at all, if you are not too close to the surface. At some point the sensors can cause problems, maybe... but lets say something like 5 meters should be super fine and not cause any problems (my guess).

I have a friend with a boat who is after me to follow his boat while cruising on the water, easy for him to say, it sounds exciting and intriguing ........ I too do not have the guts.
Ok I'll give it a try, thanks for the information.
Lot to learn before attempting. (Mavic got no legs). Especially setting up return to home (Emergency Only!) being you, not to take off point. Also hand launching and landing is a must. Practice from the back of a pick up truck to get an idea of the problems involved. Hand Launch well above the truck bed or loads of compass interference. Trailing a short weighted string below, aids catching but remember, it fights back. ?

Trailing a short weighted string below, aids catching but remember, it fights back. ?

Why? That string could get caught by the props in flight, why would you do that? Or do i missunderstand?
I really dont see a problem, if the boat stands still on the water, and the sea/lake/river isnt rough, its almost like catching being on land. Like i said, if you turn of landing protection, there is no sensor annoying you catching the drone. And as far as i tested, you dont really need that feature anyway in any situation (i watched videos and tested myself, couldnt find a situation where i could see what that feature does)

Why? That string could get caught by the props in flight, why would you do that? Or do i missunderstand?
I really dont see a problem, if the boat stands still on the water, and the sea/lake/river isnt rough, its almost like catching being on land. Like i said, if you turn of landing protection, there is no sensor annoying you catching the drone. And as far as i tested, you dont really need that feature anyway in any situation (i watched videos and tested myself, couldnt find a situation where i could see what that feature does)
Sinker (weighted) on string. LOL
I hang stuff regularly. Not in props

Be careful with your RTH settings. Either return to you or hover, not the takeoff point. Also understand the limitations of flying over water. You might prefer “Follow me” mode. Read up, Fly safe
Having lost a drone over the sea when it climbed out of the hover then descended into the sea,all this from an initial hover of 12’,I would never let it hover below 10 meters,without constant vigilance..
I do a lot of surf and paddle board video,at around 12’ but I never lose sight of the drone,..and climb to30’+ between takes..

Active track will not successfully lock on to surfers,unless you are able to lock on with the surfer standing..
SUP riders can be locked on to because the drone recognises the human shape.,and POV with circling selected,can produce some interesting shots.
.Don’t expect the drone to be able to maintain a constant circling distance if the SUPs are surfing..
One benefit of tracking,apart from the obvious,is that you can keep a direct eye on the drone,over the water,as the tracking takes care of the image..Be prepared to climb...

Reactions: Lens