DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track Danger

Something I learned the past few days in this forum:
"Without the logs, we only can guess what happened..."
The logs won't show anything as they don't record Active Track data. The problem is the programming of the software itself. It needs to be fixed/corrected but I see no indication that DJI is interested in this. There were other companies that created their own Active Track that was far better then what DJI put out. AT could be something _exctremly_ useful and it is a shame that DJI is not doing much to make it work to where it is reliable.

Assuming you are correct, that still does not discharge the operator of him/her paying the attention to the flight as simple human sense would require. Today, we tend to rely on computers, software and automated processes and tend to ignore our own responsibility. If something goes wrong, it was the machine.
That's like me as I was alittle boy: If something went wrong, my brother had done it!
(untill one of the neighbours complained about him to my mother, who then revealed that I had NO brother, but that's a different story)

Reactions: The Rolling Drones
That was me using ACTIVE TRACK while running. Getting the information out there about Active Track is important but much of the onus must be placed on the operator including myself. It seems like it would be common sense not to fly your drone close to anyone. They are unpredictable to a certain extent by design regardless if you are using Active Track. Also my Mavic Pro 2 did crash land 2X and once I saved it by using the controller to fly it back up just before it crashed. It dive bombed about 5 X on a 40 minute run. I did the same filming riding a mountain bike and Active Track performed perfectly. I was curious if the fails had anything to do with compass calibration or that I was using a 16 ND/PL filter.

Well, what an interesting thread. Not to mention a bit freaky! I'm a new drone owner (Mavic Air) and have been doing short and what some would call 'lame' flights over the last couple of months just to get myself familiar with actually flying the drone and what it can do even before I think too much about the photography side of things (plus I sometimes forget the press the record button)!:confused:

But now, after looking at the video with all these 'attacks', I'm feeling a little apprehensive about trying the AT modes. Yes, I do agree, the video had a humourous side to it mainly because of the Jaws music that went with it, (good choice), but it is quite a serious issue. I will make sure that if and when I do try the active tracking etc. that I know what to do if things go pear-shaped and if my drone chooses to 'attack' me or my subject. Makes me think of the book about the cars that turned on their owners!!! :eek:

So, thank you all for the education. Safe and happy droning to everyone.

Last edited:
So far, I never had any problem with active tracking, either when I was using my Platinum, or now my pro 2 zoom. But after watching the video it's nice to know that this is happening though. However, that's one of the reason I wanted to get the Smart Controller; That way I am controlling the craft with something 100% designed for it, instead of using my phone with many background apps that could interfere with the drone functionality.

I think that a dedicated controller is a good option (and one I wasn't aware of). Using the phone and all the technology that's inside it is a bit of a risk, who knows what interactions are going on in the phone itself and the fact that all apps have access to most things on the phone worries me a bit too. But technology being the way it is, it's great when it works but I don't think any technology is 100% foolproof!! I guess we risk failure or malfunction with anything and nothing is for sure, except death and taxes!!

Reactions: drakkor
It may “dive in” relative to the speed you were traveling, but the Jeep is traveling at a good clip. The drone is still moving backward and the Jeep hits the drone. In a perfect world the drone should have kept it’s distance like it is designed to do, but anyone who has used AT knows it is far from perfect. I’m not saying there may not be possible issues with active track, but this video does not support that claim in my view.

Actually I'm going slow, watch my videos with the Typhoon H, Solo, Anafi... I'm going much faster and they hold a proper seperation. This is far from industry standard and dangerous.

DJI claims Active Track speeds up to 44.7 MPH, I'm barley going 10 MPH. Here's a Typhonn H going nearly 40 MPH hands off with dynamic altitude control. I've had the H up to 45 MPH in Follow Mode and the gimbal gives up before the H does.

Never in all these years have I got close to my H, Solo's, Anafi, Halo Pro.... only my DJI drones.

Here's the 350 gram Anafi on the same trail, DJI has a lot to learn...

Last edited:
Reactions: LivinLarge
This happened while I was still getting myself familiar with activetrack.
Perhaps I did not do enough research in advance, but personally I was completely unaware of the possibility/tendency for these drones to "dive on the subject" when they lose track of it.
I do agree that the feature should be removed until a consistent fix is found. But in my view, another major issue is the lack of warning on all official documentation about this danger. And if we look at the way the marketing describes the feature, then things get even worse. Despite my environment for these tests was reasonably controlled, I would have planned and behaved very differently if I knew about this possibility.
Never use activetrack in situations where you cannot be fully focused on the drone at all times.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard