DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track first test - Self shot MTB ride

AlexSP

Reactions
Yesterday I did my first attempt at active track. My apologies for the lousy video quality, I did a short edit in 720p (also shot in 720), but due to poor internet connection I wasn't able to upload anything better than this, will correct asap.

But it gives an idea of how it went, and despite the inclement sun and temp (above 95F or 35°C) I found it worked well enough to be usable. It's nothing too radical, mostly dirt roads in the middle of cane plantations with few trees, a bit of open field single track but I got over 10 minutes of decent footage, some of it inside a "tunnel" of trees.

As for setup, I used a small SERFAS stem bag attached to the top tube that allows me have the controller with the iPhone 6S at hand, with the sticks unobstructed and usable (to increase or decrease altitude as needed for instance). Easy and fast to stash in and pull out safely. As long as it's not too bumpy of course. It can be seen on some scenes. I will post pics of it later today.

Thankfully no incidents other than it losing track of me a couple of times, no biggie. Tried TRACE with some orbit and also PROFILE, but no Spotlight. Both work better than I expected. With time and practice it may improve, I'll do more tests during holidays to build confidence.

Last edited:
Great results...except for the video quality.

great result indeed? to a question i'm asking everybody,
Where did you put the radio after you set it up? in your bag?
Trying to figure out a way to mount mine before the winter is over so i can get going in the spring :D

Yesterday I did my first attempt at active track. My apologies for the lousy video quality, I did a short edit in 720p (also shot in 720), but due to poor internet connection I wasn't able to upload anything better than this, will correct asap.

But it gives an idea of how it went, and despite the inclement sun and temp (above 95F or 35°C) I found it worked well enough to be usable. It's nothing too radical, mostly dirt roads in the middle of cane plantations with few trees, a bit of open field single track but I got over 10 minutes of decent footage, some of it inside a "tunnel" of trees.

As for setup, I used a small SERFAS stem bag attached to the top tube that allows me have the controller with the iPhone 6S at hand, with the sticks unobstructed and usable (to increase or decrease altitude as needed for instance). Easy and fast to stash in and pull out safely. As long as it's not too bumpy of course. It can be seen on some scenes. I will post pics of it later today.

Thankfully no incidents other than it losing track of me a couple of times, no biggie. Tried TRACE with some orbit and also PROFILE, but no Spotlight. Both work better than I expected. With time and practice it may improve, I'll do more tests during holidays to build confidence.

I liked the tracking. You did a great job on that. It seems pretty accurate. I haven't seen anyone posting problems with the video in high temperatures, but below zero temps seems to affect video quality. Why is the resolution so poor? I could only view it at 240 resolution. Looks like it was filmed with a head of cabbage.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: erkme73
:D Yeah the video quality sucks but i'm in the countryside with limited internet acess, will re-up when possible, sorry.

This is the stem bag with the controller and phone, my 6S (used here to take the pic) sits sligtly lower and thus more stable, but overall it's safe and also easy to perform a few moves if needed.

awrpyw.jpg

I usually shoot in 720 or 1080 for everyday vids, it's good enough for most uses and easier/faster to handle. I only go higher if necessary for some reason

That's a great set up. I'm going to try using my iPhone 6+ on my controller.
I know what you're talking about with trying to upload hi resolution files when you have slow internet. I wasn't thinking about that. I'm looking forward to some more videos. I have a Mavic ordered , but not sure when they'll have them back in stock at Best Buy.
Have you tried hosting videos on Vimeo? I seem to get faster uploads and good results there.

Last edited:
Updated the original link with the HD video, much better now. Yesterday did another ride trying different altitudes, everything went fine again. A bird almost hit the quad early on, put it in slo-mo it's crazy LOL.

[/QUOTE]
That's the best video I have seen by far of the active track feature. You did an excellent job. I loved the part where the Mavic passes the bird. LOL

I just ordered mine today. Can't wait to get it.

Reactions: AlexSP
Updated the original link with the HD video, much better now. Yesterday did another ride trying different altitudes, everything went fine again. A bird almost hit the quad early on, put it in slo-mo it's crazy LOL.

On the original video there is a spot where the Mavic quickly increased elevation. What caused that? It looks like your hands were still on your handlebars.

Reactions: Arthur
On the original video there is a spot where the Mavic quickly increased elevation. What caused that? It looks like your hands were still on your handlebars.
Yeah. At the 30 second mark.

I had the controller at hand right next to the handlebar, as shown on the picture above. It keeps the sticks free and I can experiment with different altitudes during the flight, and also to keep up with me climbing and thus the elevation in terrain. It's so close that it looks like both hands are on the bike but it's not, I was controlling (sort... LOL) at times. Did the same on the first vid too.

I'm still experimenting and learning, will try with my road bike and other sports also but so far I'm confident that Active Track is usable and reliable in some specific situations. I've been flying drones for yrs now and this is the first time I get to film myself while riding - thanks to the Mavic being so compact, lightweight and easy to fly autonomously!

PS.: The hard part is to not keep looking back to the drone to check if everything is fine LOL :p I hope this goes away with time but anyway... :D

Last edited:
That's awesome! Unfortunately when you're MTBing in actual mountains they have severe elevation changes and whatnot so you have to be much further away and it doesn't look as good.

That's awesome! Unfortunately when you're MTBing in actual mountains they have severe elevation changes and whatnot so you have to be much further away and it doesn't look as good.

Thanks, and agreed - this is just some light trail and road riding to test and gain confidence. I'm already thinking of ways to shoot in more technical terrain, should be more challenging but also more rewarding.

There's a nice calm road on the mountains here that should make for an excellent backdrop for profile flying as the drone can follow alongside safe and get a good shot at us climbing slowly.

Talking about it, from what I could get so far our speed is key to the performance and thus the results. We need to experiment to see what's really possible (and safe!) but I like to take time to do it right and keep risk as low as possible. Fortunately the weather and the holidays are helping so I expect to learn some more this next week!

Last edited:
I had the controller at hand right next to the handlebar, as shown on the picture above. It keeps the sticks free and I can experiment with different altitudes during the flight, and also to keep up with me climbing and thus the elevation in terrain. It's so close that it looks like both hands are on the bike but it's not, I was controlling (sort... LOL) at times. Did the same on the first vid too.

I'm still experimenting and learning, will try with my road bike and other sports also but so far I'm confident that Active Track is usable and reliable in some specific situations. I've been flying drones for yrs now and this is the first time I get to film myself while riding - thanks to the Mavic being so compact, lightweight and easy to fly autonomously!

PS.: The hard part is to not keep looking back to the drone to check if everything is fine LOL :p I hope this goes away with time but anyway... :D
Dude. Seriously. That is epic. Kudos.

Reactions: AlexSP

Just so you know, the Mavic will climb or descend with you and keep the same elevation above ground as you move along.

Are you sure? From what I've read and seen during my tests it will keep the designated altitude throughout the flight, unless you manually apply throttle. Or in Follow Me mode, but that's something else.

I thought Terrain Follow wouldn't work in conjunction with Active Track and a few other advanced features, it's a mode in itself to be used with pilot controlling not autonomous flight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d