DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track legallity

cweam

Reactions
I can't maintain line of sight when I use Follow Me Mode. The drone is behind me. Does that mean it is illegal?

I can't maintain line of sight when I use Follow Me Mode. The drone is behind me. Does that mean it is illegal?
There's nothing to stop you walking backwards and keeping line of sight.

Active track is designed to track a subject. If you are the subject, then keep it ahead of you so you can see it. Follow does not by necessity mean behind you.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
VLOS doesn't mean you're always looking at the aircraft it means you CAN look at it, and see it, at any given moment.... although in general terms you should be looking at it and around for other aircraft but I'd imagine you're flying fairly low in order to get good vids etc.

Reactions: jimlips
Like anything else there are shades of gray. One could make a case for VLOS meaning that it is within visual parameters that you *could* see it, and not that you have to be staring at it 100% of the time. So if it is tracking you and your easily turn around and spot it though turned away from it for a few seconds or longer, does that break the VLOS rule? I think one could make a case that it does not, while other may make a case that it does.

Frankly I think the rules are a big mess and often comes down to authorities standing behind the "the law says what I say it is" position. A case in point is the recent interview with a FAA representative that sort of held that if you are flying around, turn your camera on on purpose and post the footage on social media where only friends follow you, you are in violation of Part 107. Personally I think that is a bogus interpretation and could easily be argued against in court if the hearing was on an even playing field.

So as I said... Shades of gray.

The requirement is that you must be able to see the drone unaided by any device, except for eyeglasses/contact lenses. You can have a spotter performing the VLOS duties. If someone is watching your drone and is close enough to speak to you, that is allowed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007