DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track - On the Water testing

GH02050

Reactions
I finally had the another opportunity to play with Active Track on the water. The last time I tried this it was nearly a disaster (a story for another day). I put the drone up in the air at the Marina and had it follow the boat. Leaving the marina I used the 'Profile' mode but nothing ever goes exactly as planned and at the 44 second mark the drone lost me behind a large slipped boat. I reset and used the 'Trace' profile and just let the drone follow. Max speed for this test was about 24knots. It is relatively easy to retrieve the drone by hand while on the boat in calm water. I'm sure it will be more challenging on rougher days. Anyway here's a sample video of my test .... I know I need to work on height and camera angle, this is way I am doing these short test flights (also builds confidence, no room for error on the water).

I had another opportunity to play with active track from the boat again early Saturday morning. I learn a little something every time I fly.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I tried this today on the water too. It lost track several times, you can see the camera jerk a tad when it looses lock each time. I'll have to play with it more I just don't use a lot of the advanced features enough I usually just manually fly the drone with GPS on. Any ideas how to get this to not lose track? Thanks

Link to video below (click VIDEO) How do you embed the video like the ones above?
Video

Isn't there a way to have it follow the signal from the controller, rather than follow an object that you highlight with a box on the screen?

Isn't there a way to have it follow the signal from the controller, rather than follow an object that you highlight with a box on the screen?
I always asked that myself ... maybe there's usage for both cases but just stupidly following the controller would work in many scenes and is way less insecure I guess to lose track.

would be great following the controller but on iOS keep getting......
Mobile device gps signal weak
It’s location can not be acquired

I tried this on the 4th of July but I was only able to get my mavic to take off once. The other 2 attempts, I got error messages for "mag interference" and a request to calibrate my compass. I am wondering if that's because the current in the river was maybe moving too fast and the mavic couldn't figure out why it was moving when it wasn't flying?? Here is a clip of the successful flight. I've owned my M2Z for a little over a week.

Reactions: ff22
I tried this on the 4th of July but I was only able to get my mavic to take off once. The other 2 attempts, I got error messages for "mag interference" and a request to calibrate my compass. I am wondering if that's because the current in the river was maybe moving too fast and the mavic couldn't figure out why it was moving when it wasn't flying?? Here is a clip of the successful flight. I've owned my M2Z for a little over a week.

I get calibration warning often sometimes I switch the AC off back on and it goes away and touch wood never had any mishap but thats my 2c

Reactions: NorCalM2Z
Yeah I did active track over the ocean and the thing nearly crashed into the ocean. It wobbled all over the place. Haven’t AT over water since

I usually film in 2,7K 60FPS

I noticed that with active tracking it automatically switch to 2,7K 30FPS without any advice.
I saw that only during the editing. The problem was that with different fps I should have filmed with different shutter speed, but then it was too late....

The other thing I cant do while active tracking are going near and far from the subject, since it seemes that right rc stick is useless while active tracking

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18