DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track & Strange Reaction To Stick Movements

zygo

Reactions
Hi

New M2Z pilot & had my first play with some of the active track modes today (many thanks to wife & puppy for wondering around the park for me :)
Trace & profile worked well, as expected but spotlight puzzles me. It followed my wife while hovering fine but then I tried to fly around & ahead of her. Surprise! the sticks no longer produce movement as per the crafts attitude in the sky? I fly Mode 1 but the sticks appeared to produce movements as if I had changed to mode 2 ???? Not sure if it was exactly mode 2 because I scared myself with the first few movements & I had trees close so I bailed on the active track. By the time I flew back to change batteries the rain started & that was it for the day.

I was just here thinking is this actually what is supposed to happen, as in, do the sticks change to some sort of "rotate around the subject" type movement? Anyone else found this strange behavior, especially anyone flying mode 1?

New M2Z pilot but long time RC pilot.

OK, just in case someone else comes across this, I will add to it. Its not changing stick modes.

Got the chance to fly again this morning and set up a test to see what was going on.
Hovered about 4m up, put it in Activetrack Spotlight and picked a spot on the ground ahead of it.
Gave it some right roll and watched it start to fly to the right then around to the side as it rotated to the left.
Now gave it some forward input and it flew as if I had given it more right roll??
Kept trying to fly around the spot with random inputs to get me 180 around from starting position.
Gave it right roll, craft went to its left. Gave it left roll, craft went to the right. Gave it forward input & craft went backwards.

So, it would seem that whatever attitude the drone was in when you started activetrack, all stick inputs while it is running are relative to that attitude & not the actual attitude it happens to be in while its flying. This I found unnerving.

Has anyone else found this? Can anyone confirm they get the same result? Is this how its meant to work?
Am I missing something?

Cheers

Last edited:
I get the same exact thing on my 2 Pro. I never realized that it was basing it movements off of the initial orientation but but you are right. I can't stand it

Reactions: zygo
I get the same exact thing on my 2 Pro. I never realized that it was basing it movements off of the initial orientation but but you are right. I can't stand it

With the lack of responses I was starting to think I was the only one who was having a issue with this... or had noticed it. So Im not going mad after all ;)

See if this helps you guys understand:

Yeah, I can see what he is doing, its just the different control/attitude/orientation that is throwing me. By the way, several times he says yaw does nothing. It must have changed since then because Im pretty sure yaw does work now.

Cheers.

Sounds like it becomes courselock mode for stick movements.

I didn't think to try a stationary subject to try out Activetrack. Someone mentioned they used their P3 as a subject which I want to try.

Reactions: zygo
For anyone that's interested, I came across this in another thread. This is pretty much what I was trying to achieve but with a slow moving person in Active Track mode.

Reactions: Jaymaharg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe