DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow me mode/active track gps home

InAz

Reactions
When using Follow Me mode/Active Track is it possible to have MP4 avoid establishing the GPS Home tracking? I was using followme mode & got the mesage that it's returning home due to low battery & I had to click on option to Manually land, instead so I wouldn't have to turn around & return 2 miles.

You can't make it dynamically change the home point automatically while it's following you.

However, there is a solution. Change your RTH setting in the Safety section in the settings to "Land", and it will land right where it is when it reaches low battery.

I would recommend, however, to set it to "hover" since you will be near it, and then you can take control and land it safely... when the low batt occurs the area right below might not be suitable for landing.

You can't make it dynamically change the home point automatically while it's following you.

However, there is a solution. Change your RTH setting in the Safety section in the settings to "Land", and it will land right where it is when it reaches low battery.

I would recommend, however, to set it to "hover" since you will be near it, and then you can take control and land it safely... when the low batt occurs the area right below might not be suitable for landing.
Thanks. That makes better sense since it was a bit annoying when it started back & I had to turn around and force it to land.
Also, I flew under power lines that were about 20 ft high & had altitude set at 10 ft. That didn't go well, all the sudden the drone showed 80 ft then had obstruction warning and I lost transmission. Found out it landed. It doesn't like high voltage power lines.

Last edited:
Thanks. That makes better sense since it was a bit annoying when it started back & I had to turn around and force it to land.
Also, I flew under power lines that were about 20 ft high & had altitude set at 10 ft. That didn't go well, all the sudden the drone showed 80 ft then had obstruction warning and I lost transmission. Found out it landed. It doesn't like high voltage power lines.

You absolutely need to take some time and dig into the many different settings (especially RTH settings etc). It's imperative that you understand WHAT the settings are, HOW they work, and When/Why they kick in.

It sounds like you got VERY lucky on that one :)

• Love
Reactions: mobilehomer
When using Follow Me mode/Active Track is it possible to have MP4 avoid establishing the GPS Home tracking? I was using followme mode & got the mesage that it's returning home due to low battery & I had to click on option to Manually land, instead so I wouldn't have to turn around & return 2 miles.
Your best choice would be to simply reset the homepoint every 5 or 10 minutes to keep it close to you and the drone.
That way the drone isn't going to get to a point where it thinks that home is two miles away.

It won't matter whether you reset to the current location of the controller or the drone for what you want to do.

Not fully familiar with all details for the Mini 4 Pro & the FLY app, using GO 4 myself...

But is this really possible?

Setting the failsafe action (loss of connection) to either RTH, Hover or Land have always been possible... but low battery RTH or critical low battery landing is what it is... at least used to be.

You absolutely need to take some time and dig into the many different settings (especially RTH settings etc). It's imperative that you understand WHAT the settings are, HOW they work, and When/Why they kick in.

It sounds like you got VERY lucky on that one :)
I know WHY it kicks in and also the what and how but thought there may have been a default when you have it in certain modes. I mean, why would dji have RTH be even an option on follow me mode? Hover or land seems to me that they should be the appropriate options & RTH should be disabled.

Your best choice would be to simply reset the homepoint every 5 or 10 minutes to keep it close to you and the drone.
That way the drone isn't going to get to a point where it thinks that home is two miles away.

It won't matter whether you reset to the current location of the controller or the drone for what you want to do.
That's what I started doing after it turned back the 1st time but that's just silly to me. It means you need to make unnecessary stops while exploring.

I know WHY it kicks in and also the what and how but thought there may have been a default when you have it in certain modes. I mean, why would dji have RTH be even an option on follow me mode? Hover or land seems to me that they should be the appropriate options & RTH should be disabled.

Keep in mind that Follow Me isn't just "me" but can follow other people and things. I can completely see why RTH is not only an option but a default as it's "usually" safer to RTH when in doubt rather than hover or land in place. IIRC, if you do HOVER and it hits low battery land in place will then initiate.

Reactions: slup
... if you do HOVER and it hits low battery land in place will then initiate.
The sequence with hovering & then followed by a critical low voltage landing only occur if the battery % threshold for a low battery RTH have been passed & you have made the choice there to reject the RTH.

If the failsafe action is set to hover... & you lose the connection (before you've had the opportunity to cancel the low battery RTH), the drone will hover but only until it reaches the battery % threshold for a low battery RTH... there it will initiate a RTH on it own.

Reactions: BigAl07
Not fully familiar with all details for the Mini 4 Pro & the FLY app, using GO 4 myself...

But is this really possible?

Setting the failsafe action (loss of connection) to either RTH, Hover or Land have always been possible... but low battery RTH or critical low battery landing is what it is... at least used to be.

You're right... that's only Failsafe. Not available for other RTH modes.

Feature request... 😁

Keep in mind that Follow Me isn't just "me" but can follow other people and things. I can completely see why RTH is not only an option but a default as it's "usually" safer to RTH when in doubt rather than hover or land in place. IIRC, if you do HOVER and it hits low battery land in place will then initiate.
I know. There were many small trees in the area, & it showed 12 targets and it got confused so it remained in hover mode as I started to drive away. Not really sure how it's safer in rth mode, it' actually a pain to have to turn around & follow it, especially offroading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne