DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track Top Speed? (Boat)

SabrToothSqrl

Reactions
Hello, I currently have a Mavic Air 2, and it's great for everything I need it for... except 1 thing. It tops out at 42MPH and doesn't have a prayer of keeping up with my favorite subject - a boat. I've tried active track on it a number of times, and it never worked well enough.

I picked up the FPV done, which can easily keep up, however it's 2 axis gimbal and flight time leave a lot to be desired, for photography.

I saw the Mavic 3 classic tops out at 47 MPH, which should be enough for my needs, without the cost of the big boy a used Inspire.

Does Active Track work all the way up to 47MPH? Can it keep pace with a performance boat? The slowest I can stay on plane is 42 MPH GPS. Tops out at 70 ;) If there is any wind (there is always wind), the drone take a speed hit, so really it's not hitting 42.

I would love some better shots of it. My Air 2 just can't hack it, either with tracking or top speed. I don't want to get one, just to find out it can't hack it. Anyone near Essex MD want a boat ride ;)?

thanks!

I'm seeing Inspire 1s, used, for less than a new Mavic 3, think I should use one of those?

Last edited:
Hello, I currently have a Mavic Air 2, and it's great for everything I need it for... except 1 thing. It tops out at 42MPH and doesn't have a prayer of keeping up with my favorite subject - a boat. I've tried active track on it a number of times, and it never worked well enough.

I picked up the FPV done, which can easily keep up, however it's 2 axis gimbal and flight time leave a lot to be desired, for photography.

I saw the Mavic 3 classic tops out at 47 MPH, which should be enough for my needs, without the cost of the big boy a used Inspire.

Does Active Track work all the way up to 47MPH? Can it keep pace with a performance boat? The slowest I can stay on plane is 42 MPH GPS. Tops out at 70 ;) If there is any wind (there is always wind), the drone take a speed hit, so really it's not hitting 42.

I would love some better shots of it. My Air 2 just can't hack it, either with tracking or top speed. I don't want to get one, just to find out it can't hack it. Anyone near Essex MD want a boat ride ;)?

thanks!

I'm seeing Inspire 1s, used, for less than a new Mavic 3, think I should use one of those?
If the size and transportability issues don't both you, and you aren't launching from and landing on a moving boat, a used Inspire 1 is a good choice with a 58mph top speed. However, the Mavic 3 beats the Inspire 1 on all other issues, which is likely why the Inspire 1 is being sold.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Yeah, the more I look at it, I don't think the Inspire 1 is for me Hopefully the 3 can keep up.

I just found this in the manual "
ActiveTrack 5.0 ActiveTrack 5.0 is divided into Trace and Parallel, which support tracking both stationary and moving subjects such as vehicles, boats, and people. In Sport, Normal, and Cine mode, the max flight speed is 12 m/s
"

that's about 26.8 MPH. Not fast enough.

Of course I ordered the drone an hour ago because DJI chat said it could active track in any mode, up to 47 MPH.
So, thanks DJI.

I canceled the order. ugh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas