DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track via WIFI only

ThePaulius

Reactions
Anyone had any problems or any advice on active track via WIFI only?

Too much kit to take with me on the [mountain] bike, so I thought if I just take 2 spare batteries, phone (with sun shield!) and go out I can just use the phone either on handlebars or sling it in the pouch...

I'd rather this than using RC and stick guards and prey they aren't moved whilst riding..

I've not used Wi-Fi yet...

My main concern is needing emergency control or it auto landing which I known can turn off of course.. shame RTH isn't updating to RC location as you move..

I think the biggest problem is that you are limited on WiFi to 100 meters from home point. So you ride 100 meters, bird stops. You can then re-set homepoint every 100 meters but that will get old.

I was going to test this out yesterday but never had time.
Its my understanding that in active-track, as long as it shows in the app its tracking a person, it will use dynamic home-point whether you use WiFi or a controller. Yes you will be limited by the 100m WiFi range, and that's okay as long as you are within 100m of the Mavic. Its the home-point that determines maximum flight distance but as long as dynamic home-point is set it will update this every 15m and keep tracking you. The annoying part is you have to leave your phone turned on the whole time. If you are using an iOS device, when you turn it off it kills the feed to the Mavic. The app at the moment doesn't support background mode. I have asked DJI to look into this.
I think you can two finger swipe up and lock the screen when in WiFi mode, a bit like you can with the spark. But it does leave the screen on. I guess turning the brightness down will help save a little battery life.

Just remember. Scan the area for objects with the potential for impact. As good as the sensors are, don't rely on them. Get your Mavic at least 5m above them. Also if RTH is enabled, check if RTH at current alt is enabled, if you are tracking under trees and it RTH's then it will fly up into the trees. At least with RTH at current alt it will fly back to the home-point 15m away and attempt to land. It will also use obstacle avoidance to dodge anything it missed on its path back to home.

Good luck, let me know how you get on :)

224002x8epvw48poedpcnq.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi