DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Tracking-Controller with you or inside vehicle?

Grey Wolf

Reactions
Supposing you want to film a car in the countryside, away from airports of course and all the farmland is mine, let's just say, and i want to film the car moving. Would it be best to leave controller in car, I'm not driving it, or keep it with my on the driveway?
This would be with Active Track in Trace mode. Would iy also clear trees by itself or would I have to set height above the trees? Flying forward only as pr OA sensors.

Active Track uses software to visually track an object. What you want to do is 1) keep the controller with you at _all_ times an 2) keep you and the controller within operating range of the Mavic at all times. If the Mavic looses connection with the remote it will initiate a RTH. I _highly_ recommend that this be set t hover and not return to th home point if you will be moving any great distance. Keep in mind, loosing connection is not only because of range, obstacles, such as buildings, can also cause this to happen.

If you don't do 1 and 2, you are a high degree of risk.

As above, the controller needs to be with you at all times, whether you're in the car or back in the driveway. Active Track needs connection to the RC and APP to work, so the Mavic can't follow the car out of range or it'll stop tracking.

Your best bet is to just ride in the car. Flying from inside the car GREATLY reduces range, but you'll still have enough range to go as far out as Active Track will reliably work. You should also set your height above ALL obstacles. Don't trust the OA to actually fly you around trees in Active Track mode. Active Track itself barely works correctly, don't complicate it.

Did it just yesterday and worked like a charm. Just placed the MP at a secure altitude (30 mt to be safe) and active track. Then i jumped in the car and drove away having a look at the screen to see if the Mavic was following. Kept both windows open to avoid loss of connection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78