DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you fly into a moving vehicle?

Dangerly

Reactions
In this FPV sequence you can see a drone following a moving car, and then it flies in to the car through the open window. It's a super cool effect and leaves me wondering how the drone handles the sudden change from flying forward at, say, 25 or 30 mph and then flies into the car where the wind speed suddenly drops to zero. It's all done so smoothly.

So of course now I want to try this out myself with an Avata, if it's even possible. How would you attempt such a shot? Is it even possible in Sport mode? Could you do it in manual mode? Would you try with a motion controller 2 or RC only?

• Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
In this FPV sequence you can see a drone following a moving car, and then it flies in to the car through the open window. It's a super cool effect and leaves me wondering how the drone handles the sudden change from flying forward at, say, 25 or 30 mph and then flies into the car where the wind speed suddenly drops to zero. It's all done so smoothly.

So of course now I want to try this out myself with an Avata, if it's even possible. How would you attempt such a shot? Is it even possible in Sport mode? Could you do it in manual mode? Would you try with a motion controller 2 or RC only?

Step 1: Equip the driver with body armor, helmet, and full face visor.

Reactions: ericole and Starz
Click the BTS link in the description? They don't, the drone has a handle and someone catches it out of the window and just waves it handheld inside., Then lots of post processing / SFX to cleanup and hide the ugly bits...
Ah man, that's cheating!!! But it gets the shot done well so I can't complain.

Reactions: Torque
And you want to try that? :oops:

Years ago I saw an FPV pilot fly a drone at Kinbane Head in Northern Ireland, it was gobsmacking.
Google the place and have a look at the ruin ( Kinbane Castle ) on the headland. He was flying the thing, AT SPEED, in through an empty window and out the roof then the reverse, a single mistake would have splattered the drone on a wall or sent it into the sea.

Many FPV pilots are very talented at such things, but I'm sure that was a combo of drone and hand held (to look like a drone) in the vehicle.
You can't pick it up on the entry segment, but exiting the vehicle you can see the window is wound up literally as soon as the drone shot picks up.
I wouldn't surprise me if the handheld video picked up when the drone first bumped the car at about 0:20, or even before that with a 2nd motorcycle.
Very clever clip and well done.

Here it is done without cheats:

Explained in this BTS:

There are a few more BTS available for this shoot, well worth watching!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne