DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying Avata 2 vs using my Air 3 in FPV Questions

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
I have been looking into getting the Avata 2 for the past few weeks in order to be able to add that different perspective to my clients videos. Just looking to add another element into my work. But something just occurred to me. My Air 3 has FPV capability. So in order to save a little cash I am thinking of just getting the goggles 3 and the RC motion 3 in order to mimic the Avata 2 as closely as possible. Now, I know I wouldnt be able to do the Easy ACRO mode with the Air 3 and that is fine, but I am wondering what other limitations I would be facing if I try to go this route. Speed is another one that is pretty obvious to me but as someone who has never flown an actual FPV, I'm not sure what I may be missing out on. Does the rocksteady stabilization make that much of a difference? I normally use warp stabilizer in post to fine tune any unsteady movements.

Price for the goggles and rc 3 would run me right at $640 as opposed to the $1200 for the Avata 2 Fly more....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
The main difference in the two is that the Air 3 is a camera drone and the Avata is an FPV drone. Two different categories of drones. With the exposed props and dependence on GPS, the Air 3 will be fine out in the open but the closer you get to objects and especially indoors the worse it’s going to perform in comparison. With the ducted props on the Avata and its configuration of downward sensors, you can easily maintain a foot off the ground to follow terrain and bump into things without much issue, generally. It can pull itself to a wall surface and fall but generally doesn’t. It can impact hard enough to cause an error and stop the props, but just be careful not to hit something at a high rate of speed. The Air 3 will just clip the blades and you’re done. The FPV with Air 3 is just that, first person view of the Air 3 camera but it does not make it an FPV drone. Two different things. If all you want is the ability to see your Air 3 footage with goggles and control it with the motion controller then thats fine. You wont be able to use the regular controller with the goggles. Not from the factory anyhow, there are some hacks to make it work but assume you will only use the motion controller otherwise. With the Avata, you can add the FPV RC 3 which you cannot do with the Air 3. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Torque and Cafguy
YEP the avata will go places the air 3 will not or you won't want to go. The avata has a stable mode just like any camera drone so as long as you don't put in in manual mode you will be fine. if you are into real estate I would think the Avata would be a better tool for you. NOW if you practice and are a pretty good pilot you could just use the air 3 BUT sooner or later you are probably going to bump into something and thats what a Whoop is for!

Reactions: Torque
Not to mention protecting the environment around the drone. Avata will hardly make a mark, hit something with the Air 3 and it will likely cause some damage. Not something you want if the purpose is commercial work. It happens but you want to avoid it.

The other difference between the Avata (2) and the Air 3 is the A3 flies like an oil tanker by comparison to the Avata Jet Ski. So even out in the wide-open you will not be able to duplicate some of the quick maneuvers you can with the Avata.

Reactions: Cafguy
I have been looking into getting the Avata 2 for the past few weeks in order to be able to add that different perspective to my clients videos. Just looking to add another element into my work. But something just occurred to me. My Air 3 has FPV capability. So in order to save a little cash I am thinking of just getting the goggles 3 and the RC motion 3 in order to mimic the Avata 2 as closely as possible. Now, I know I wouldnt be able to do the Easy ACRO mode with the Air 3 and that is fine, but I am wondering what other limitations I would be facing if I try to go this route. Speed is another one that is pretty obvious to me but as someone who has never flown an actual FPV, I'm not sure what I may be missing out on. Does the rocksteady stabilization make that much of a difference? I normally use warp stabilizer in post to fine tune any unsteady movements.

Price for the goggles and rc 3 would run me right at $640 as opposed to the $1200 for the Avata 2 Fly more....

Any help is greatly appreciated!
using goggles 3 and mc3 with air3 will not add any different perspective to your videos
the air3 will just fly the same as is do now

the goggles 3 and mc3 will offer you just the posibility to fly the air3 with goggles
so you will see the video feed in the goggles, that all about the fpv fly style added to air3

you will not get any fpv fly modes for the drone

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
YEP the avata will go places the air 3 will not or you won't want to go. The avata has a stable mode just like any camera drone so as long as you don't put in in manual mode you will be fine. if you are into real estate I would think the Avata would be a better tool for you. NOW if you practice and are a pretty good pilot you could just use the air 3 BUT sooner or later you are probably going to bump into something and thats what a Whoop is for!
Can you fit prop guards to the Air 3 for FPV flights ! No one has mentioned the long endurance batteries of the Air 3 compared to the still half endurance of the new Avata 2 ?
The Avata 1 was ridiculously short endurance

using goggles 3 and mc3 with air3 will not add any different perspective to your videos
the air3 will just fly the same as is do now

the goggles 3 and mc3 will offer you just the posibility to fly the air3 with goggles
so you will see the video feed in the goggles, that all about the fpv fly style added to air3

you will not get any fpv fly modes for the drone
Im not sure what you mean...

I have flown in FPV with the Air 3 before and it is definitely a different perspective. Not just on the screen, but in the videos captured. I know the drone wont really fly any differently, I didnt expect it too.

I have also seen videos with operators using the head tracking to help mimic some of the FPV maneuvers.
Example

If all you want is the ability to see your Air 3 footage with goggles and control it with the motion controller then thats fine. You wont be able to use the regular controller with the goggles.
I really appreciate your response!

I think I might be confused. I've seen videos of people using the goggles and mc with the Air 3 and while the drone isn't as fast, the video seems quite similar. They are also able to use the head tracking to help mimic the maneuvers. Check this video out... Link

Am I seeing that incorrectly?

Im not sure what you mean...

I have flown in FPV with the Air 3 before and it is definitely a different perspective. Not just on the screen, but in the videos captured. I know the drone wont really fly any differently, I didnt expect it too.

I have also seen videos with operators using the head tracking to help mimic some of the FPV maneuvers.
Example
you said I know the drone wont really fly any differently, I didnt expect it too.
so how do you expect to get a different perspective in the videos?

that head tracking have nothing to do with the fpv flying style
the head tracking is available for years, it was on mavic pro with goggles re

Last edited:
They are also able to use the head tracking to help mimic the maneuvers. Check this video out... Link
Looks like usual "camera drone" footage but worse because said head tracking just makes it unstable/imprecisee, it's just slow and jerking around all over the place... what makes what's usually called "FPV footage" what it is is the speed, the varying roll angles and the trajectories like climbs and dives that a camera drone can't do but an FPV drone in acro/manual can...

I know I wouldnt be able to do the Easy ACRO mode with the Air 3
Note that Easy Acro can't be recorded, it's for "flying fun" and not video production.

Obviously if you like what you see then go ahead.

Reactions: gogorokokoko
you said I know the drone wont really fly any differently, I didnt expect it too.
so how do you expect to get a different perspective in the videos?
Because the camera/ gimbal behaves differently in FPV mode. The drone will "fly" the same way but the camera and gimbal wont be in "follow" mode.

Looks like usual "camera drone" footage but worse because said head tracking just makes it unstable/imprecisee, it's just slow and jerking around all over the place... what makes what's usually called "FPV footage" what it is is the speed, the varying roll angles and the trajectories like climbs and dives that a camera drone can't do but an FPV drone in acro/manual can...

Note that Easy Acro can't be recorded, it's for "flying fun" and not video production.

Obviously if you like what you see then go ahead.

This is kind of what I was wondering. I noticed that in the videos. Thats why I asked if the rocksteady stabilization made that much of a difference. I wasnt sure if that was something that could be fixed in post using warp stabilizer or something similar. It seems like the Air 3 with the goggles and mc would be able to mimic the angles and climbs/ dives but to what extent is my concern. Seems like there isnt a lot of confidence that it would be even remotely close to the Avata, which isnt completely unexpected.

And thats kind of a bummer that the Easy ACRO cant be recorded. That was one of the main reasons I was still leaning towards the Avata. Seemed like it may reduce the learning curve.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99