DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying Avata 2 vs using my Air 3 in FPV Questions

If all you want is the ability to see your Air 3 footage with goggles and control it with the motion controller then thats fine. You wont be able to use the regular controller with the goggles. Not from the factory anyhow, there are some hacks to make it work but assume you will only use the motion controller otherwise. With the Avata, you can add the FPV RC 3 which you cannot do with the Air 3. Hope that helps.
You can officially use Mini4/Air3 own Rc2 or Rc-N2 controller when using Goggles 3. But still - it's just videofeed to goggles instead of Rc2 or phone. And you lose DJI Fly app waypoints, POI, Activetrack and so on because Goggles have different software...

I have tried to use Mini 4 Pro with Goggles 2&3 + MC2/3 - you can fly but recording is not usable - too jerky (mostly up-down movements). It's eazy to fix by software - just to slow down gimbal up-down movement! But DJi haven't done that.

Last edited:
Welp, I bit the bullet and bought the Avata 2 Fly More (3 Battery). Going to pick it up today and hope to get it in the air tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your input!

Reactions: Torque
You will love it

I have been looking into getting the Avata 2 for the past few weeks in order to be able to add that different perspective to my clients videos. Just looking to add another element into my work. But something just occurred to me. My Air 3 has FPV capability. So in order to save a little cash I am thinking of just getting the goggles 3 and the RC motion 3 in order to mimic the Avata 2 as closely as possible. Now, I know I wouldnt be able to do the Easy ACRO mode with the Air 3 and that is fine, but I am wondering what other limitations I would be facing if I try to go this route. Speed is another one that is pretty obvious to me but as someone who has never flown an actual FPV, I'm not sure what I may be missing out on. Does the rocksteady stabilization make that much of a difference? I normally use warp stabilizer in post to fine tune any unsteady movements.

Price for the goggles and rc 3 would run me right at $640 as opposed to the $1200 for the Avata 2 Fly more....

Any help is greatly appreciated!
You can 100% get FPV/Whoop-style footage with a camera drone. They are all quads so their working principle is the same. The 2 main differences are that camera drones have an extra axis of stabilisation (yaw) which the Avata lacks, and the Avata has fixed prop guards. I have both the Avata and the Mini 4 and have flown both in FPV mode with the MC2 and Goggles 2. Seeing the drone's trajectory in the white circle in the goggles is HUGE. You simply cannot replicate that on a phone screen. If you're not getting too adventurous and you're smooth with the MC you can get decent FPV footage with the bigger drone, especially using head tracking to give that close fly-by look when flying past an object and pointing the camera towards it. You can of course do all that with the regular controller but you'd have to have the dexterity and precision of a machine. The difference in how far apart the rotors are in the two drones significantly affects how they cruise and roll, similar to how a vehicle with a shorter wheelbase will turn faster but not be as stable in a straight line. This can to a certain extent be mitigated by how you handle the MC but there will be limitations and the Air 3 won't be nearly as agile, to the advantage of being smoother when cruising/hovering. You won't be able to fly the Air 3 anywhere near as close to or between objects as the Avata due to the larger size and the fact that once you clip the rotors you're going down. This said, I still managed to recover a few collisions with the various Minis I've had and also completely wreck an Avata in a fall that I still can't fathom how it can have possibly have failed to recover from.
My opinion is that it's worth spending a little extra cash and have 2 drones so you have both bases covered with the right tool for the job at any given time rather than trying to half-arsedly cover both styles with one drone.

Reactions: Torque
You can 100% get FPV/Whoop-style footage with a camera drone.

Not true.

They are all quads so their working principle is the same.

True, but in a trivially meaningless way. See below.

The 2 main differences are that camera drones have an extra axis of stabilisation (yaw) which the Avata lacks, and the Avata has fixed prop guards.

This really misses what the main differences are which make it suitable for traditional FPV flight, key to capturing the footage that camera drones just really can't.

Prop guards: Yeah, that's the visible difference, but does not articulate how this makes a difference.

With ducted props, much shorter moment arms, and a tough design, you can and more importantly confidently will fly the Avata in places you will never take a Mini 4 Pro, for example. Screaming through an 18" diameter opening at 35mph simply will not happen with a Mini 4 Pro.

You'll do it with the Avata (2), maybe clip the side a few times practicing which the Avata will most likely come through undamaged. Probably even recover and stay in flight.

Your Mini 4 Pro will never make this shot, and is likely headed back to DJI in pieces for repair.

Want to do a little lawn-mowing? screaming around right at the tips-level of tall grass, even pushing through it a bit, trimming the tallest pieces? 35mph? or 60 in manual? Thrilling footage. Try that with a camera drone, even with prop guards. Result: Crash. Avata: Fly another day.

Indoor flight: Again, the design of the Avata (2) makes this so much safer for both the drone, and your interior. Fly the Avata (2) under a chair, table, through a small open window, and on and on. You will be focused on what you're trying to capture, not what you risk destroying.

Line up 5 friends in a staggered line, feet spread 18", slalom through their legs. No one gets hurt. It's fun.

Mini 4 Pro? Hospital bills.

Where light is too dim for VPS to work effectively and the drone goes into air-hockey puck mode sliding around with momentum, a.k.a. ATTI, who cares? No one gets hurt, nothing gets damaged.

Camera drone? Wet-your-pants panic time.

If all you want is the first person, immersive view experience, and have a supported camera drone, just buy the goggles. Don't waste money on an Avata (2). The camera drone is a better choice for soaring around far away from everything.

Get the Avata (2) if you want to completely change your flying experience and skillset. While you can fly it like a camera drone, you can't fly a camera drone like a cinewhoop.

Last edited:
You can 100% get FPV/Whoop-style footage with a camera drone.
For about a minute, much less if you are indoors. Then after you pick up the pieces of the cinematic drone, you can buy a FPV drone designed for that type of fling

Not true.

True, but in a trivially meaningless way. See below.

This really misses what the main differences are which make it suitable for traditional FPV flight, key to capturing the footage that camera drones just really can't.

Prop guards: Yeah, that's the visible difference, but does not articulate how this makes a difference.

With ducted props, much shorter moment arms, and a tough design, you can and more importantly confidently will fly the Avata in places you will never take a Mini 4 Pro, for example. Screaming through an 18" diameter opening at 35mph simply will not happen with a Mini 4 Pro.

You'll do it with the Avata (2), maybe clip the side a few times practicing which the Avata will most likely come through undamaged. Probably even recover and stay in flight.

Your Mini 4 Pro will never make this shot, and is likely headed back to DJI in pieces for repair.

Want to do a little lawn-mowing? screaming around right at the tips-level of tall grass, even pushing through it a bit, trimming the tallest pieces? 35mph? or 60 in manual? Thrilling footage. Try that with a camera drone, even with prop guards. Result: Crash. Avata: Fly another day.

Indoor flight: Again, the design of the Avata (2) makes this so much safer for both the drone, and your interior. Fly the Avata (2) under a chair, table, through a small open window, and on and on. You will be focused on what you're trying to capture, not what you risk destroying.

Line up 5 friends in a staggered line, feet spread 18", slalom through their legs. No one gets hurt. It's fun.

Mini 4 Pro? Hospital bills.

Where light is too dim for VPS to work effectively and the drone goes into air-hockey puck mode sliding around with momentum, a.k.a. ATTI, who cares? No one gets hurt, nothing gets damaged.

Camera drone? Wet-your-pants panic time.

If all you want is the first person, immersive view experience, and have a supported camera drone, just buy the goggles. Don't waste money on an Avata (2). The camera drone is a better choice for soaring around far away from everything.

Get the Avata (2) if you want to completely change your flying experience and skillset. While you can fly it like a camera drone, you can't fly a camera drone like a cinewhoop.
"If all you want is the first person, immersive view experience, and have a supported camera drone, just buy the goggles. Don't waste money on an Avata". So, if I was to buy the Mini 4 Pro and goggles, which goggles show the clearest view? Are they really as clear and vivid as the videos I've seen online? I have never used them before. Can I fly using my Ipad mini while I put the goggles on my Wife? That would help her understand my love of the sport.

Best goggles are Goggles 3. You don't need Motion Controller. You can use Mini 4 RC2 or RC-N2.
It's really clear view. RC2 or phone screen is quite bad when sunny.
But when using Goggles you lose all Fly App funtionality (POI, Active Track, Waypoints etc)
You can use Goggles and also stream same view to phone/pad using USB or WiFi. Usually for other person - as pilot must have best view.

BUT - I also have to say that Mini with Goggles is not same as Avata. You will newer go near to places, where you can go with Avata2. Of you broke it very soon. Avata is very sturdy.

So buy Mini4P + Avata2. As most of us have done. Best combo ever. Even if you have to sell your kidney.

Best goggles are Goggles 3. You don't need Motion Controller. You can use Mini 4 RC2 or RC-N2.
It's really clear view. RC2 or phone screen is quite bad when sunny.
But when using Goggles you lose all Fly App funtionality (POI, Active Track, Waypoints etc)
You can use Goggles and also stream same view to phone/pad using USB or WiFi. Usually for other person - as pilot must have best view.

BUT - I also have to say that Mini with Goggles is not same as Avata. You will newer go near to places, where you can go with Avata2. Of you broke it very soon. Avata is very sturdy.

So buy Mini4P + Avata2. As most of us have done. Best combo ever. Even if you have to sell your kidney.
Thank you for your reply. Others have mentioned though that it is not possible to view iPad screen and Goggles 3 at the same time. I'll of course need to watch the screen while my wife is wearing the goggles. Are you sure that is possible? If so, I'm buying Mini 4 Pro and goggles tomorrow. I don't need the Avata. I'll be cruising the skies of Sedona, Arizona poking around ancient Indian cliff dwellings.

Thank you for your reply. Others have mentioned though that it is not possible to view iPad screen and Goggles 3 at the same time. I'll of course need to watch the screen while my wife is wearing the goggles. Are you sure that is possible? If so, I'm buying Mini 4 Pro and goggles tomorrow. I don't need the Avata. I'll be cruising the skies of Sedona, Arizona poking around ancient Indian cliff dwellings.
If you had the Avata, you could share 2 goggles which I think is the best solution.

If you had the Avata, you could share 2 goggles which I think is the best solution.
Ye. That is definitely a solution, but I don't want the Avata right now. I would like to have a little visual awareness and also some friends may also be looking at the Ipad screen. Do you think I would be able to watch the Ipad screen and someone can use the Goggles ... at the same time? I know I may be encumbered by a cable, but that's ok.

Ye. That is definitely a solution, but I don't want the Avata right now. I would like to have a little visual awareness and also some friends may also be looking at the Ipad screen. Do you think I would be able to watch the Ipad screen and someone can use the Goggles ... at the same time? I know I may be encumbered by a cable, but that's ok.
I don't know enough about the Goggles 3 setup; I think it's a bit different than what I am used to with Google 2/Integra/v2/Avata1 where you could use multiple goggles, the Fly App and connect to your iphone or ipad easily. If you were just one generation back, I think it can be done easily.

For Mini 4 Pro you usually use included controllers - RC2 (with screen) or RC-N2 (controller without screen + Phone/pad connected with cable). And you use Fly App, where you see camera view and/or map and you can use POI, Waypoints, Hyperlapse, Mastershots and so on. If you don't need it, then why to buy Mini 4P at all - buy just Avata. It can do both cinematic and FPV footage.

If you want to use Mini 4 P with Goggles 3, then you can use RC2 or RC-N2 to control drone movements, but you cannot use RC2 screen or RC-N2 phone screen and you cannot use any on Fly App possibilities.
You can use quite limited menu on Goggles screen.

When using Goggles, you can connect second phone/Pad to Goggles 3 using cable or WiFi streaming for spectator view. It's just copy view from Goggles 3, not interactive screen. You have to use Goggles 3 buttons for menus.
This is limited to ONE phone at a time.
And it's also possible to broadcast your Goggles view to multiple other Goggles 3 devices.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
To simplify: Goggles 3 can share it's view via wifi to a smart device running DJI Fly. So you can buy an M4P and Goggles 3, fly wearing the Goggles and share the view to your iPad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stormy2024