DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying Avata 2 vs using my Air 3 in FPV Questions

Note that Easy Acro can't be recorded, it's for "flying fun" and not video production.

All sorts of reviewers have First Person footage of easy acro flips and rolls... the mystery deepens 😁

Reactions: Torque
This is kind of what I was wondering. I noticed that in the videos. Thats why I asked if the rocksteady stabilization made that much of a difference.

They make a huge difference.

HorizonSteady looks as good as a 3-axis gimbal, with rare exception. And it can handle 360° of roll axis position, something the gimbal on a camera drone can't.

You sacrifice image around the edges of capture.

Also, the Avata 1&2 record gyro data with the image, and can be stabilized in post, where you can fine tune the stabilization of the image.

Reactions: Kilrah
They make a huge difference.

HorizonSteady looks as good as a 3-axis gimbal, with rare exception. And it can handle 360° of roll axis position, something the gimbal on a camera drone can't.

You sacrifice image around the edges of capture.

Also, the Avata 1&2 record gyro data with the image, and can be stabilized in post, where you can fine tune the stabilization of the image.

Yea I kind of figured that. It looked pretty substantial in the videos I saw.
All sorts of reviewers have First Person footage of easy acro flips and rolls... the mystery deepens

Kind of curious about that as well. Ive seen the videos....

not true
video recording works just fine in easy Acro mode. Have tested and had no issue with this.
in fact @Kilrah have a good point
in this video, at 9.57 this guy tries to go in easy acro mode and gets the message that while recording he cant switch to acro mode

but then he stops recording and gets to acro and start recording again, at least thats my guess

and in the manual it says very clear that you cant go in easy acro mode while recording
so theres a little mess with this :)
and everyone is right
or wrong :)

Attachments

• scr.png
    scr.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
All sorts of reviewers have First Person footage of easy acro flips and rolls... the mystery deepens 😁
I am perplexed by this too. I have heard that you can't record using easy acro, yet there are plenty of videos of the flips and barrel rolls, and especially the drift maneuver.
My Avata was scheduled to arrive yesterday, then today. Now UPS says tomorrow...

I am perplexed by this too. I have heard that you can't record using easy acro, yet there are plenty of videos of the flips and barrel rolls, and especially the drift maneuver.
My Avata was scheduled to arrive yesterday, then today. Now UPS says tomorrow...
I wonder if the recordings we are seeing are just screen recordings instead of actual video recordings?

That would have a really negative impact on my purchasing decision. I have a feeling that if this is actually the case, that we will be hearing a lot of disappointment.

As mentioned earlier it's likely just the manual being misleading and you simply have to stop recording before changing modes and start again afterwards.

Haven't felt like wasting any of my flight time with the MC yet, it's cold/rainy these days...

As mentioned earlier it's likely just the manual being misleading and you simply have to stop recording before changing modes and start again afterwards.

Which is, still, mysterious.

Why, DJI?

Haven't felt like wasting any of my flight time with the MC yet, it's cold/rainy these days...

Well if you do figure it out, please let me know! Thats a big factor to take into account

not true
video recording works just fine in easy Acro mode. Have tested and had no issue with this.
Off topic but you might be able to help , on my first flight with my avata 2 (my first fpv) it went into RTH at 25% battery and narrowly missed powerlines as it did so . I didnt know how to cancel it , and RTH at 25 % battery when only meters away is daft . So how do I cancel RTH at 25% and use something more practicable like 10 - 15. Thanks

and in the manual it says very clear that you cant go in easy acro mode while recording
The manual says "enabled." The next section talks about when Easy Acro is "available." Hopefully this makes clear the difference while recording.

Off topic but you might be able to help , on my first flight with my avata 2 (my first fpv) it went into RTH at 25% battery and narrowly missed powerlines as it did so . I didnt know how to cancel it , and RTH at 25 % battery when only meters away is daft . So how do I cancel RTH at 25% and use something more practicable like 10 - 15. Thanks
You cannot change the number when RTH kicks in, doesn't it RTH whenever there is only enough battery to get back home safely whether it's 20%, 25%, 37%....50%? As with all DJI drones, the pause button should help you control a RTH except for maybe the critical battery.

I never fly around obstacle with a low battery but if you do so frequently, you may want to check your setting to Hover.

Lock button to cancel, can't change the level but usually you should be on the ground around 20% anyway. Read your manual (and set your RTH height appropriately)
1713476018895.png

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Well if you do figure it out, please let me know! Thats a big factor to take into account
before you start filming set your mode as easy acro. While in this mode you can select, using the wheel, the different types of response from the joystick. I believe you can make these changes while filming.
Can imagine that this "big factor" will be a significant problem if you plan your flight.

I have been looking into getting the Avata 2 for the past few weeks in order to be able to add that different perspective to my clients videos. Just looking to add another element into my work. But something just occurred to me. My Air 3 has FPV capability. So in order to save a little cash I am thinking of just getting the goggles 3 and the RC motion 3 in order to mimic the Avata 2 as closely as possible. Now, I know I wouldnt be able to do the Easy ACRO mode with the Air 3 and that is fine, but I am wondering what other limitations I would be facing if I try to go this route. Speed is another one that is pretty obvious to me but as someone who has never flown an actual FPV, I'm not sure what I may be missing out on. Does the rocksteady stabilization make that much of a difference? I normally use warp stabilizer in post to fine tune any unsteady movements.

Price for the goggles and rc 3 would run me right at $640 as opposed to the $1200 for the Avata 2 Fly more....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh