DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If DJI offered an upgrade for more speed, would you pay for it?

By law that's top speed anyway and the Fast speed you see us achieve with FPV drones is more about Maneuverability more than faster drones really.
"By law", you're right. But I happen to know that with the right hands at the control, it will go faster. But the display will only go to 99MPH.

• Haha
Reactions: Cafguy
If they wanted to offer a nice upgrade to their drones (and they won't)- How about gimbles and cameras that you could purchase and swap, So that a guy like me who really doesn't need that fancy of a camera could get a cheaper version and Fly. Or if you needed something specialized just purchase the camera that fills your needs and swap it out!

I saw this on DJI’s forum, that someone said that if DJI offered a speed upgrade for say $100 per ten miles per hour, would you do it and how much would you spend?

I’d probably $1000 to get the FPV up to 100 mph in sports and the Avata up to 70 mph in sport.

I may spend $200 on the Air 2s.
I don't think you can get an Air 2S for $200, they are going between $400-$600 depending if they have more batteries and controller.

I don't think you can get an Air 2S for $200, they are going between $400-$600 depending if they have more batteries and controller.
I think they would pay $200 for the motor upgrade* -That's a pretty steep price for 4 DJI motors.
Besides the reason really is that everybody would be flying their Drones with xnova or ummawgawd Motors -installed by the customer or from the local Drone fix-it shop The DJI motor division would cave pretty quik!
*Edit sorry I meant to say that the person was willing to pay 200 for the upgrade

Last edited:
Poster is saying he would probably pay DJI $200 to unlock more speed with the Air 2S....
"By law", you're right. But I happen to know that with the right hands at the control, it will go faster. But the display will only go to 99MPH.
I think the poster is asking for more speed in sport mode which is currently limited to about 65mph. Some FPV flyers don't fly in Manual which is the only way to get to the higher speeds, 90+. For forever there have been request to bump up this speed for both the FPV and the Avata which is limited to about 35mph in sport mode.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I think they would pay $200 for the motor upgrade -That's a pretty steep price for 4 DJI motors.

It's not as simple as just upgrading to more powerful motors.

More power will be needed too, which mean higher currents. Are the ESCs able to handle it? Does the cooling design for the board handle the increased heat? Is the battery able to deliver the increased power/current?

Another thing to keep in mind: Drag increases as the square of velocity. So there is 4x the drag at 40mph vs. 20. That means the power increase is more than 2x to go twice as fast. So increasing top speed by 10mph is going to require a lot more power (and thrust) than increasing from 25 to 35mph.

IOW, this is quite a bit more complicated than just swapping in beefier motors.

Reactions: Meta4
Poster is saying he would probably pay DJI $200 to unlock more speed with the Air 2S....

I think the poster is asking for more speed in sport mode which is currently limited to about 65mph. Some FPV flyers don't fly in Manual which is the only way to get to the higher speeds, 90+. For forever there have been request to bump up this speed for both the FPV and the Avata which is limited to about 35mph in sport mode.
DJI Specs the FPV at 87MPH max, but I do out of the box, they will hit 100MPH with the right person at the sticks.

Baaahhhh... gotta be speeding close to the ground for it to be a thrill these days, and there aren't a lot of places I can do that...

...at 100mph. The Avata OTOH, at 35mph, sees a lot of close ground (and water 😁) adrenaline!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav