DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If DJI offered an upgrade for more speed, would you pay for it?

SWTSU

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I saw this on DJI’s forum, that someone said that if DJI offered a speed upgrade for say $100 per ten miles per hour, would you do it and how much would you spend?

I’d probably $1000 to get the FPV up to 100 mph in sports and the Avata up to 70 mph in sport.

I may spend $200 on the Air 2s.

I saw this on DJI’s forum, that someone said that if DJI offered a speed upgrade for say $100 per ten miles per hour, would you do it and how much would you spend?

I’d probably $1000 to get the FPV up to 100 mph in sports and the Avata up to 70 mph in sport.

I can't support this model. It's not a good idea. DJI will receive the backlash just like car companies should they decide to sell features ala carte. I'll leave it at that, for now.

No.

You want speed fly induction RC jets.
119 MPH out of the box:

This hypothetical discussion is rather pointless as it ignores the physical limitations of the drone and the way your drone can increase speed.
There's no practical way that DJI could offer more speed for their camera drones.

I don't see it happening. Faster Motors don't last long and if you could swap out different size motors like that, MOST of their customers will be crashing Drones left and right if they even get them off the ground. Faster also means you need the ability to tune the drone and that is a whole Drone class of its own and a long and confusing one at first too. It's Something I don't think DJI is willing to open up to its everyday customers..

The theoretical top speed of 46 mph is plenty fast for what I do. I can get to my max vlos and have plenty of battery to spare. The only advantage I can see for me would be the ability to fly in higher winds. A calm day in my area is a rarity. Today was a beautiful day, but winds gusting to 30mph meant it wasn't worth the trouble of going out to fly.

Reactions: Cafguy
The FPV already goes 100MPH in manual mode. There is no reason for the non-FPV drones to go that fast. If you want the thrill of speed, fly non-DJI FPV rigs.

No, beyond VLOS in no time.

Reactions: Intrceptor
Nope - I don't fly too far or too high usually and sport mode scares the crap out of me - if I was flying in less crowded spaces or longer distances (BVLOS) I could possibly see the need but as others have said, I think all it will do is end up with more crashed drones. It already takes a while to stop a drone at current top speeds.

The FPV already goes 100MPH in manual mode. There is no reason for the non-FPV drones to go that fast. If you want the thrill of speed, fly non-DJI FPV rigs.
By law that's top speed anyway and the Fast speed you see us achieve with FPV drones is more about Maneuverability more than faster drones really.

No!

This hypothetical discussion is rather pointless as it ignores the physical limitations of the drone and the way your drone can increase speed.
There's no practical way that DJI could offer more speed for their camera drones.

Except we've been hacking them to go faster for years. My Mavic Air is hacked and goes 10mph over the spec'd top speed in Sport Mode.

The tradeoff is reduced wind "resistence".

By law that's top speed anyway and the Fast speed you see us achieve with FPV drones is more about Maneuverability more than faster drones really.

^^This. Power in FPV is all about tight responsive turns, not speed so much.

Can't speak for others, but I got over the speed thrill with the DJI FPV pretty quick. Yes, it's an adrenaline rush, but it gets boring after not too long.

• Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR