DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding Batteries to the Mavic Pro and other delights!

iowahill

Reactions
I just received a MAXX UAV dual LiPo battery adapter (DJI Mavic Pro Battery Adapter) for my bird, and their dual LiPo saddle mount (DJI Mavic Battery Mount (Pro / Platinum)) for the same will arrive this morning. No, I don't have any connection with MAXX UAV, in fact I'm kinda PO'd with them because I paid shipping on two items rather than one!

I plan to do a hover test using a stock battery that is at least 1 year old, a fresh new stock battery, then each with a small variety of LiPo batteries in search of an optimal ratio of flying time versus bird weight.

The assumptions I make are that the stock Mavic battery is a 3S Lipo configuration that has three cells wired in series giving a DJIi rated voltage of 11.4 volts and an amperage of 3830 milliamps.. A single fully charged LiPo cell is about 4.2 volts, and is considered discharged safely at 3.0 volts. The battery power is brought out to the main body of the Mavic Pro connector on (from left side of the body) pins 2 and 3 for the negative power, and pins 5 and 6 for the positive. Power from the battery is ONLY hot when the battery is turned on with the button sequence used for powering up the bird.

The MAXX UAV adapter cleverly connects between the body connector and the battery without soldering or other warranty-voiding actions, and brings those connections up into a plastic housing that has two XT60 female connectors for use with 3S Lipos. The optional battery saddle is just one way of mounting additional batteries, some folks use Velcro or other means of mounting.

So when adding LiPo batteries of the same 3S voltage you are INCREASING the available amperage (milliamps) which is POSSIBLY what is going to give you a longer flying time. Adding two 1800 ma batteries might theoretically give you close to double the power, but you have to consider the added weight of the batteries as a factor that will require more amperage for the bird to accommodate. And 3S LiPos are available with XT60 connectors from under 1000 ma on up to over 5000 ma. So is there a sweet spot between added weight and optimal flying time? Let's take factors such as stress on the props and air resistance out of the discussion.

I fly almost exclusively with Master Airscrew props, with Mavic Pro Platinum props as backup. You can tie the bird to a lead brick and give it full takeoff power and sincerely doubt you're going to have a prop break. And the air resistance I suspect would be a small factor given the frontal area of the bird already. I suppose you could design little nose cones for the batteries for better aerodynamics and print them with a 3 D printer. I doubt you'd yield any noticeable improvement!

So I plan do do some testing and report back on my results. Others may wish to do the same, perhaps taking another approach. My hope is that we'll get some real world numbers and experiences rather than a lot of wordy argument,

I plan to set up a benchmark flight using the Litchi ap with a low-level hover to test batteries and different configurations. My methodology is to weigh the stock bird with a fresh battery that's been put through DJI Assistant validation, then do the hover test to 30% battery with a stopwatch. I'll repeat with some of my year-old batteries, and with various 3S XT60 LiPos to find an optimum setup that gives the longest time for the given loaded weight, charting and recording each test.

I don't anticipate anything more than a configuration that would prove worthy of a longer field test that gives me a level of confidence for prolonged flying. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or criticism as long as they're not unreasonably speculative. Real-world feedback, People!

I think what we're looking for here is up to date statistical results, not reposts of older material.

Last edited:
Reactions: sea157
I think what we're looking for here is up to date statistical results, not reposts of older material.
There's a 206 page thread that spans a couple years. I just did an indoor hover test with a 4100mah Lihv protek si graphene battery (221 grams) that added over 50% flight time.
As that battery just came out last month I wouldn't call it older material either.
There's a lot of blood, sweat, tears (and fire) in that thread.

Reactions: fabrizio1
There's a 206 page thread that spans a couple years. I just did an indoor hover test with a 4100mah Lihv protek si graphene battery (221 grams) that added over 50% flight time.
As that battery just came out last month I wouldn't call it older material either.
There's a lot of blood, sweat, tears (and fire) in that thread.

And here's yet another thread that just might add, hopefully without blood, sweat OR tears! You're welcome!

well in that case godspeed!
here's a cheatsheet Mavic Pro Battery Mod

Great! That's the kind of input that's relevant. It'll be interesting to compare the results of various batteries using a standardized test with a handful of Lipos of various capacities and weights , as well as some graphenes that I have on the way from an interested sponsor.

I fly R/C electric planes in two local clubs. The graphenes haven't been attractive enough for them to catch on yet for the majority of our members, mainly because of the price. But there are obvious advantages including weight which is an important factor.

But please don't be the "piranha in the punch bowl" with this thread. There are newer members coming in that may not find older material easy to find or navigate, and may find some useful information condensed in my opening post.

Great! That's the kind of input that's relevant. It'll be interesting to compare the results of various batteries using a standardized test with a handful of Lipos of various capacities and weights , as well as some graphenes that I have on the way from an interested sponsor.

I fly R/C electric planes in two local clubs. The graphenes haven't been attractive enough for them to catch on yet for the majority of our members, mainly because of the price. But there are obvious advantages including weight which is an important factor.

But please don't be the "piranha in the punch bowl" with this thread. There are newer members coming in that may not find older material easy to find or navigate, and may find some useful information condensed in my opening post.
no piranha here - the warden is always watching my fishing habits.

if your sponsor wants to create the optimal lihv graphene for the mavic pro (and i'd assume just as easily make a 4S version for the mavic 2), it would not only meet (or beat) the protek in capacity/weight , but discharge closer to the rate of the dji battery.
some batteries drain faster up top and leave too much on the table under 20% making one nervous while fighting autolanding for 10 minutes... and the proteks are the opposite - falling off quick in the last 20%.

the $59.99 4100mah protek (LiHV 11.4v/cell) weighs 221 grams and at the end of the flight, it is something like .02v/cell difference from the DJI battery.
i pretty much only fly with a battery mod these days. not only does it extend flight time 50+%, it also provides extra punch when it is needed (in my case too much when at 300ft up one of the front arms folded itself in at 58mph while climbing).

looking forward to your results!

Reactions: iowahill
no piranha here - the warden is always watching my fishing habits.

if your sponsor wants to create the optimal lihv graphene for the mavic pro (and i'd assume just as easily make a 4S version for the mavic 2), it would not only meet (or beat) the protek in capacity/weight , but discharge closer to the rate of the dji battery.
some batteries drain faster up top and leave too much on the table under 20% making one nervous while fighting autolanding for 10 minutes... and the proteks are the opposite - falling off quick in the last 20%.

the $59.99 4100mah protek (LiHV 11.4v/cell) weighs 221 grams and at the end of the flight, it is something like .02v/cell difference from the DJI battery.
i pretty much only fly with a battery mod these days. not only does it extend flight time 50+%, it also provides extra punch when it is needed (in my case too much when at 300ft up one of the front arms folded itself in at 58mph while climbing).

looking forward to your results!

Very impressive! I'm going to test with three 3S LiPos that I have on hand at the moment for starters as pairs; 1200ma/20C, 1300ma/35C, and 2200ma/60-120C (likely WAY too heavy!). Using the MAXX UAV saddle mount and their no-solder dual XT60 connector. I'll have to see what is available for the graphenes for testing later with the same benchmarks.

I don't have any experience yet with the graphenes so don't have a feel pro or con for the number of real-world charge/discharge cycles. I assume balance charging and testing is the same as LiPos?

Here's my MP1 with the MAXX setup:

batmod-1.jpg

batmod-2.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive! I'm going to test with three 3S LiPos that I have on hand at the moment for starters as pairs; 1200ma/20C, 1300ma/35C, and 2200ma/60-120C (likely WAY too heavy!). Using the MAXX UAV saddle mount and their no-solder dual XT60 connector. I'll have to see what is available for the graphenes for testing later with the same benchmarks.

I don't have any experience yet with the graphenes so don't have a feel pro or con for the number of real-world charge/discharge cycles. I assume balance charging and testing is the same as LiPos?

Here's my MP1 with the MAXX setup:

View attachment 57661

View attachment 57662

I know this is an old(ish) thread but I'm very interested in how well this setup worked. The mod itself is very clever...elegant even. No cutting or disassembly required.

Do you have any range/flight time data you can share? Thanks.

I know this is an old(ish) thread but I'm very interested in how well this setup worked. The mod itself is very clever...elegant even. No cutting or disassembly required.

Do you have any range/flight time data you can share? Thanks.

I've flown out to a tad more than 3 miles away in a straight line flight to Mt. St Helena and back. I had an approximately 10 mph headwind on the way back and landed with about 32% battery remaining. That particular flight was around 28 minutes. When I get some graphene LiPos in I think I'll have better times because of lighter weight.

That is a significant improvement in flight time. For me, flight duration is more important than range. There have been plenty of time where I'm doing many takes to get the perfect shots and have had to return home before I was satisfied. More battery reserve is then wasted for the transit and setting up the shots.

Generally, I prefer to do single take projects, rather than play around in editing. 10 more minutes on site could make a huge difference.

Not having to physically mod the drone is a huge bonus.

Do you have any stats using difference capacity aux batteries?

That is a significant improvement in flight time. For me, flight duration is more important than range. There have been plenty of time where I'm doing many takes to get the perfect shots and have had to return home before I was satisfied. More battery reserve is then wasted for the transit and setting up the shots.

Generally, I prefer to do single take projects, rather than play around in editing. 10 more minutes on site could make a huge difference.

I haven't tried some of my smaller capacity 3S batteries as yet because they use JST or Dean's style connectors. I need to make some adapters to fit the XT60 receptacles on the MAXX UAV adapter. So many projects, so little time!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e