DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding Weight to the Mini 2

With the Mini 2 weighing 249 g out of the box, does adding any weight (light, landing gear, etc) causing it to weigh 250 g or more, take it out of Recreational Satus?
No. Any drone up to 55 pounds may be flown recreationally in the US. Any drone over 250g must be registered with the FAA and carry its number. All may be under the rec rules.

Rec vs. Pt. 107 is not determined by the weight of the drone, it’s determined by the intent of the flight.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your question. It does not changevthe purpose of the flight but does require that it is registered.

With the Mini 2 weighing 249 g out of the box, does adding any weight (light, landing gear, etc) causing it to weigh 250 g or more, take it out of Recreational Satus?
They don't weigh 249g. They are about 238g. Mine with 2 strobes and mounting clips is just under 250g.

Sort of defeats the entire purpose of the Mini 2, unless you are also using it for commercial work. All sorts of compromises were in the development of the Mini 2 to make it registration free.
Depends on where you are. Here in Canada (where it's the kind of flight, not the purpose, that matters) being under 250 g means that you can legally fly many more places than you can with heavier drones. That's why why I got a Mini to supplement my M2P. If I was a real estate photography in a city, the Mini would give me a lot more flexibility.

Reactions: S.Jordan82
Hi, in Sweden, from 2021 there is no difference between private/leasure or business drone flying. Flying is flying! Stick to the rules. A business $$ photo from today. BTW the Mini2 is just excellent because you can price-compete with those who flies expensive bigger drones and have to charge more. You can also fly where big drones are banned.
Unfortunately here in the USA you have to have a Part 107 license through the FAA in order to charge money for photos and videos from flying drones. I wish they were a lot more lenient but the rules, regulations, and laws are there for the safety of the community, and the pilot... if you were to get caught flying without part 107 license and your photos and/or videos are monetized then the fines are very stiff, usually in the thousands of dollars. The FAA usually tries to teach people and give them the knowledge needed before applying stiff fines. But if there is blatant disregard for the rules, regs, and laws, they have no problem stacking those fines on the pilot of the drone.

They don't weigh 249g. They are about 238g. Mine with 2 strobes and mounting clips is just under 250g.
So, the factory label on the Mimi 2 stating 249 is in error? Wonder why they would label it that way?

So, the factory label on the Mimi 2 stating 249 is in error? Wonder why they would label it that way?
Not an error, is well known Mini2 from factory weights around 238-239g but is labeled 249g for letting you know it's a <250g to be in accordance to the 250g rule in effect in many countries.

Reactions: dart106 and SethB
The label is to certify that a Mini 2 weights under 250g, for the many many jurisdictions where that matters. I think of it as a purposeful regulatory response by manufacturers.

Ah, my reply crossed with @danymavicpilot who wins this round of “who can reply faster (with accurate info)?”!!!

Reactions: dart106 and Faster