DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding Weight to the Mini 2

dart106

Premium Pilot
Reactions
With the Mini 2 weighing 249 g out of the box, does adding any weight (light, landing gear, etc) causing it to weigh 250 g or more, take it out of Recreational Satus?

"Recreational status"????? Of course not. It just means you must register it, being over 250 grams. Most drones over that weight are still "recreational."

"Recreational status"????? Of course not. It just means you must register it, being over 250 grams. Most drones over that weight are still "recreational."
That’s what I thought was the case from my memory of the online course, and mine is registered. Thanks?

My Mini 2 weighs 239 grams ready to go. All of the landing gear I have seen will take it over 250. I have Fire House 2 strobe and a Ulanzi with the ears cut off. Using a minimum of Velcro, with both attached, mine weighs 248.

Reactions: Torque
I’m currently in “Recreational” status, with my 107 application as a part 61 pilot submitted and waiting for the FAA to process it and respond back. Just trying to maintain inside the regulatory lines and not “step on it” in the mean time. There was quite a bit of new drone related information in the online course. So, my questions are intended to confirm what I think I remember.

I just registered mine in the same FAA account as my Air 2S. I can put any accessory I want without being worried passing the 250g.
Sort of defeats the entire purpose of the Mini 2, unless you are also using it for commercial work. All sorts of compromises were in the development of the Mini 2 to make it registration free.

You don't need to register each drone individually. You only need one registration number for all your drones.
Along with that, the only time you need to get a part 107 license is if you plan on using your drone, photos, or videos for monetary purposes.
If you fly for any reason other then just for fun, then you pretty much need a part 107.
But on the "recreational use" side of things, you still need to know what you're doing, and the laws, rules and regulations around you're flight. So I would HIGHLY recommend taking the TRUST Certification course. It's free I think (at least it is thru the Pilot Institute where I am currently studying for my 107). But I believe you can get the TRUST Certification on the FAA website as well.
And thank god I took the TRUST Certification course because there's some places that require you to show proof that you know the rules and regulations to fly as a recreational drone pilot under 44809 (recreational pilot).
I live in Maine and am going on a cruise to the Bahamas in less then a month and want to bring my Mini 2 and my Mavic Air 2. And in order to fly down there I had to send them a copy of a bunch of information (including my TRUST Certification Card).

You don't need to register each drone individually. You only need one registration number for all your drones.
Along with that, the only time you need to get a part 107 license is if you plan on using your drone, photos, or videos for monetary purposes.
If you fly for any reason other then just for fun, then you pretty much need a part 107.
But on the "recreational use" side of things, you still need to know what you're doing, and the laws, rules and regulations around you're flight. So I would HIGHLY recommend taking the TRUST Certification course. It's free I think (at least it is thru the Pilot Institute where I am currently studying for my 107). But I believe you can get the TRUST Certification on the FAA website as well.
And thank god I took the TRUST Certification course because there's some places that require you to show proof that you know the rules and regulations to fly as a recreational drone pilot under 44809 (recreational pilot).
I live in Maine and am going on a cruise to the Bahamas in less then a month and want to bring my Mini 2 and my Mavic Air 2. And in order to fly down there I had to send them a copy of a bunch of information (including my TRUST Certification Card).

What an you tell us about the process of getting approved to fly in the Bahamas? Are you required to post a deposit based on the value of the drone with customs on entering?

I know exactly what you mean but I bought the Mini 2 just for its portability.
Not to split hairs, but the Air 2S you already own is only slightly larger, equally portable, and much more capable in every way, if you are going to register yourself as a UAS pilot anyway, and don't need the sub 250g with all its compromises to save a few grams. The difference in weight is only 12 ounces. That being said, the Mini 2 can be used for riskier missions at less than 1/3 the cost of replacement of the Air 2S, and does look like a toy, so no one will feel threatened by it!

Sort of defeats the entire purpose of the Mini 2, unless you are also using it for commercial work. All sorts of compromises were in the development of the Mini 2 to make it registration free.
In some countries there’s a huge difference sub-250g on where you can fly, what kind of registration is needed, and how a pilot needs to certify.

In the U.S. the *only* difference is $5. Load up over 250g, register your drone. Simple.

I really think “defeats the purpose…” doesn’t apply in the U.S.

And yes, my Mini 2 still met all MY purposes after registration ;)
(I fly a variety of drones rec and 107, but so far for my purposes the Mini 2 is rec only)

Reactions: Torque and Faster
Not to split hairs, but the Air 2S you already own is only slightly larger, equally portable, and much more capable in every way, if you are going to register yourself as a UAS pilot anyway, and don't need the sub 250g with all its compromises to save a few grams. The difference in weight is only 12 ounces. That being said, the Mini 2 can be used for riskier missions at less than 1/3 the cost of replacement of the Air 2S, and does look like a toy, so no one will feel threatened by it!
Mini 2 is less obtrusive and quieter than the Air 2S. Is not just lighter, it takes lots of less space than the Air 2S. Batteries can be charged with any phone USB charger or a portable power bank. Problem is when you need to add any accessory, for example, a strobe light for getting better VLOS for any specific flight. At this moment your drone is weighing more than 250g, easy solution is $5 FAA registration but if you already are a registered UAS pilot is easier by just adding your Mini to your FAA list.

Reactions: SethB and Torque
Both my Mini and my Mini 2 are listed under my FAA registration, along with a couple of dozen other flying machines.
Never thought twice about. And some people find the Mini 2's price point aligns with their budget - and they can add what they want to it and still get fantastic photos.

Hi, in Sweden, from 2021 there is no difference between private/leasure or business drone flying. Flying is flying! Stick to the rules. A business $$ photo from today. BTW the Mini2 is just excellent because you can price-compete with those who flies expensive bigger drones and have to charge more. You can also fly where big drones are banned.

Attachments

• Väsby.jpg
    Väsby.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member