DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ads-b air 2s

J.C.

Reactions
Hi this is my second ads-b drone. First one was the air 2 and now the air 2s. I never get ads-b warning but never. So i was wandering if there was a batch of air 2s that the modules were defect or just missing? It Is written ads-b on the landing arm?🤔

Even if an aircraft appears well within your visual range and is equipped with ADS-B out, your drone will not warn you of it unless it calculates it's (manned ac) trajectory in line within a possible collision course with itself (the drone).

The vertical and horizontal distances do not matter. You will see a red circle around the manned ac if it deems too dangerous (direct line of flight with the drone) and your RC vibrating up until the circle turns orange, and finally blue when the it passes your drone at a safe course.

It looks like the OP is in Canada. It should be noted that ADS-B in Canada is way behind the US and some other countries and at this moment not required by any aircraft is Canada In Feb of 2023, it will be required for those flying in Class A or B above 12,500 feet. Canada's implementation for other controlled airspace won't occur until 2026 the earliest.

I think if flying in Canada at this moment, it would be rare to come across an ADS-B enabled aircarft

I had an M2 Enterprise in Montreal and it often showed 2 or 3 A/C. I belief Fed Ex, UPS & others have been using RNP/RNAV for a while with ADS b out

Since I live right in the path of an airport and one of the most congested airspaces in the world, I get constant ADS-B warnings on my Air 2S haha.

I got mine a couple days ago, and I've already had 4 instances of it working quite effectively for me. In 2 of the cases I couldn't actually spot where the manned aircraft was but the screen was able to show me the direction they were approaching from. In one case had a helicopter probably 600-800 feet above me and the yellow warning circle/glow was pretty accurately pointing in the direction on a narrow area with the whole screen getting more amber as they came closer (I was descending at the time even though I was only about 150ft off the ground over a field).

The one time the whole controller vibrated with the screen flashing I couldn't see anything but seemed to have detected something directly above, I'm assuming probably a single engine plane quite a bit up since the bayou is probably about 8 or so miles from a small airport.

It's definitely a different experience from my Mini 2 where I just get a little red notification in the corner but no real indication of direction or distance.

I am a certified private pilot and I own a Cessna 150. I am certified with Cessna 152s and 172s. Most small airplanes do not have the ADS-B system. What we have are transponders. Anyway, if we fly below 500 feet AGL, we should be ok since most fixed wing aircraft do not fly below 500 feet AGL unless they are taking off or landing.

Helicopters are a different matter since they fly below 500 feet AGL. Most of the time, I carry an aeronautical radio transceiver tuned in to the frequency where I am operating the drone or to the CTAF and I just issue a traffic advisory saying that I am a ground station operating a drone at say 250 feet AGL in that area whenever I hear a plane or a helicopter nearby. Pilots appreciate this common courtesy.

Hope this helps. Safe flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54