DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B Question

Jeffro15

Reactions
I fly commercially, and had hoped that ADS-B, and the tracker apps would let me drop one of my VO's.
But I find that when using the fly app and other flight tracking, apps, 30-40% of low flying manned aircraft do not squawk adsb.
Any body else having this problem?

I fly small aircraft too - my avatar shows dog is my copilot in my Husky A1-B. You are seeing low flying manned aircraft, without ADS-B, as it is not required in much of the airspace:

"ADS-B is required in Class A, B and C airspace within U.S. domestic airspace and all land mass regions of the U.S. as defined in 14 CFR 1.1 and it includes the states (contiguous and non-contiguous), U.S. possessions, or territories."

I fly commercially, and had hoped that ADS-B, and the tracker apps would let me drop one of my VO's.
But I find that when using the fly app and other flight tracking, apps, 30-40% of low flying manned aircraft do not squawk adsb.
There are still a great many GA VFR aircraft not using ADS-B. It will take time for everyone to comply.

Besides that under current FAA UAS regulations, the availability of ADS-B does NOT alleviate you from having to use a VO as needed to maintain VLOS at all times.

I find that true, I find that most military aircraft do not have it either. I do love the feature as I just bought the Ma2

Maybe it's your receiver. I don't find that to be the case at all. When flying I find that a large percentage of aircraft have ADS B even though it's not required in all airspace. I'm in an area where it's going to be required if you're planning on going anywhere. Military VR**** routes are just plain scary and if you're near one you should check NOTAMS. they are not restricted airspace. Aircraft are restricted to below 250 kts below 10.000 ft but on VR routes that can be far exceeded and they are not under the control of ATC. Personally I haven't seen any aircraft on the one closest to me in years.

I've been using 2 VOs, 1 to keep an eyes on the drone, and 1 scanning the sky for manned AC.
Thought all AC had to be transmitting adsb by Jan. 1 of this year.

I've been using 2 VOs, 1 to keep an eyes on the drone, and 1 scanning the sky for manned AC.
Thought all AC had to be transmitting adsb by Jan. 1 of this year.
Even military have to comply?

Current Equipage Levels
The current 66% equipage level doesn't represent what's actually in the air flying.
I think the extremely popular non-electrical Piper cubs get better utilization, more than 40 hours per year. As opposed to other static/derelict airplanes which remain registered but haven't flown for five or ten years. Change of ownership would be the only motivation to change equipage of ADS-B. I'm seeing a plato of equipage levels. If you're relying on ADS-B to spot traffic, you might as well have blinders on.

My 2020 FAR/AIM just came in, (I usually only buy it every other year). As best as I can make out, if within 30 miles of an airport you must be broadcasting adsb, and if equipped, at all times.

My 2020 FAR/AIM just came in, (I usually only buy it every other year). As best as I can make out, if within 30 miles of an airport you must be broadcasting adsb, and if equipped, at all times.
You need to qualify that statement as to what type of airspace that airport you're within 30 miles of, is in. Most airports are in class "G" airspace. (Uncontrolled) There's only 38 airports in the USA that have the Class "B" type airspace you're talking about. More than 5000 small town airports in the homeland, have yet to be turned into shopping malls.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
I'm near class E airport controlled airspace and would love to see how low these planes buzzing by really are. Using apps is hit or miss, mostly miss. FlightRadar doesn't even acknowledge the airport due to not having one of the designations used by airports with regularly scheduled commercial flights. Coastguard, FedEx and UPS frequently use the airport though.

I'm near a controlled medium sized airport, class C, requires LAANC authorization. Although I usually fly just outside the LAANC zone, but still well within the 30 miles.

Mavic Air 2 has ADS-B. I understand that is receive only? Does it in fact have ADS-B OUT send signal. How will my drone become compliant with Remote ID, if not?

Ive only observe one occassion where my MA2 indicated of receipt ADS-B input. Useless without more than a dumb icon.

Mavic Air 2 has ADS-B. I understand that is receive only? Does it in fact have ADS-B OUT send signal. How will my drone become compliant with Remote ID, if not?

Ive only observe one occassion where my MA2 indicated of receipt ADS-B input. Useless without more than a dumb icon.
When the alert goes off tap on the map in the lower left corner and it will show you where the plane is or helicopter

"...demonstrated last year in Montreal, uses an open drone-to-phone standard developed with officials from the FAA and our industry colleagues. The existing Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennas installed in most drones become Remote ID transmitters once modified by a software update....the FAA itself (among others) has already used DJI’s broadcast Remote ID to solve problems and pursue investigations."

But it is the telecommunications greedy scuds and cohorts who want amerikans to cough up more taxes. Simple isnt profitable.

ADS-B In/Out its alive and tracking me oh shite ? So any nut in the neighborhood with phone App can collect the bounty on another drone.

Last edited:

Remote ID won't use ADS-B. It's a separate system, possibly internet based for some applications. The FAA said they wanted to avoid issues with jamming up the ADS-B frequency with tons of drone activity.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo