DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

advantage of having the RE version of Goggles over the standard non RE version for Mavic Air

karusz

Reactions
Hello, I am new and am waiting for Mavic Air.

what is the advantage of having the RE version of Goggles over the standard non RE version for Mavic Air (not the Mavic Air Pro)? Please? Thank you

i guess i always thought that the RE goggles were meant for people who already had a racing drone and were looking for bigger, better goggles.

Yes, but could Someone try please - maybe it is enough to buy the first version of Goggles for MavicAir because there will be no advantage of the second?

They are a little faster in the transmission department. Not as much lag (the regular goggles are great for non-racing). They are also compatible with non DJI drones (not sure if right out of the box though). I hear they are a bit more comfortable, and they are red and black vs white.

Personally, for the price, I found the original goggles to be more than sufficient.

Last edited:
The maximum distance the Mavic Air will fly when the remote control is connected to the RE goggles is limited to only 50m.

Since Mavic Air does not use Occusync to transmit the video signal to the goggles and since you cannot connect the goggles and a smartphone/mobile controller to the Mavic remote controller simultaneously, the restriction to 720p video resolution within max 50m flight radius severely limits the fun.

Unfortunately, the use of goggles with the Mavic Air is not really practical.

Reactions: MikeMauk
The maximum distance the Mavic Air will fly when the remote control is connected to the RE goggles is limited to only 50m.

Since Mavic Air does not use Occusync to transmit the video signal to the goggles and since you cannot connect the goggles and a smartphone/mobile controller to the Mavic remote controller simultaneously, the restriction to 720p video resolution within max 50m flight radius severely limits the fun.

is there a fix to this, can you plug in your phone get the app open then disconnect your phone and turn on your goggles to lift distance restrictions like on the mavic?

I was able to take off to a hover with my smart phone and then disconnect it. This moved the video to the goggles and I was able to fly without altitude or distance restrictions.

Please write how you did it step by step? I am going to buy the Second version of Goggles, but as I am new to Mavic I do not understand it.

• Plug phone into RC
  • Plug cable from goggles into RC
  • Open DJI app on phone and connect to drone
  • Turn on goggles - the screen will be the gray splash screen
  • Use auto launch on phone to takeoff and hover
  • Unplug cable to phone
  • Drone camera view will now appear in goggles
  • Fly without limitations normally in place w the goggles

For Mavic Air ONLY the old goggles are just as good.

If you think you might want to use them with something else at any point in time you'd probably be better off going with RE. Your call vs price difference etc...

1,THank you. What else can I use it for apart from Mavic Pro?
2. Does the version non RE has distance limitation?
3. Is non RE version worse resolution?

If you hot swap the phone FIRST with then with the goggles, it somehow overrides distance/altitude limits. I know that makes no sense, but I literally watched it happened on YouTube. I will try to find the link for that. But the pilot had the 30m altitude with the goggles to start. Then he took unplugged the googles, plugged in the phone, then repeated the swap back to the goggles. He then flew up over 250m! The pilot didn’t know why, but who cares? It works.
FOUND THE YOUTUBE LINK:
Hope this helps. Might look at his Part 1 to this video as well

Last edited:

You have the ability to for unrestricted flight if you hot swap between your phone + controller TO controller + goggles.
Simply: #1 start RC, #2 start app on smartphone! #3 start Mavic Air. #4 Make sure all are synced.
#5 disconnect phone from RC, #6 Connect goggle to RC using USB port (middle/bottom on RC) & microUSB on goggles. For whatever odd reason, the hot swap overrides the flight limitations. You can also hotswap backwards....say if batteries on goggles were depleted.
I’m not making sense, let me know. (Its 4:39am here and trying to get back to sleep!) :)

I have bought MavicAir and I Have already the 2nd version of Glasses- they arrived. I am learning and reading how to fly the drone, I never did my first flight.
I hope the newest update will not destroy any possibility of obeying the distance limit.

By the way I want to run simulator - I have Macosx or if I need I may have Windows but I do not like it. Any steps how to connect and what?
2. I have not even activated the drone yet

I have bought MavicAir and I Have already the 2nd version of Glasses- they arrived. I am learning and reading how to fly the drone, I never did my first flight.
I hope the newest update will not destroy any possibility of obeying the distance limit.

By the way I want to run simulator - I have Macosx or if I need I may have Windows but I do not like it. Any steps how to connect and what?
2. I have not even activated the drone yet

Have u flown a drone ever before? If so, then the flight simulator is redundant. If you’ve never flown before, there are free drone simulator in the App Store which you can practice on w/o having to use your Mavic at all.
If you’re learning for the first time on a Mavic...IMHO I would get a cheaply drone. Or be SURE to have your prop guards on and take your drone outside. Get used to the drone before you play with your goggles and have a spotter!!

Have u flown a drone ever before? If so, then the flight simulator is redundant. If you’ve never flown before, there are free drone simulator in the App Store which you can practice on w/o having to use your Mavic at all.
If you’re learning for the first time on a Mavic...IMHO I would get a cheaply drone. Or be SURE to have your prop guards on and take your drone outside. Get used to the drone before you play with your goggles and have a spotter!!

No I have not flown before I am reading and learning. There is simulator in the App for Mavic. You connect your Mavic and joystick but fly not real
What simulator are YOU talking about?
I will do first tests outside.
What is a spotter??? (Language problems)

No I have not flown before I am reading and learning. There is simulator in the App for Mavic. You connect your Mavic and joystick but fly not real
What simulator are YOU talking about?
I will do first tests outside.
What is a spotter??? (Language problems)
A spotter is another another person that can keep a visual line of sight (vlos) on your drone while you fly using goggles.
Clearly you will only have forward vision unless you are flying a Pro or other drone with gimbal that turns left & right. (Not up & down as with the Air).
If you have an IPhone or iPad, there is a free game in the App Store called “Drone on my phone”. It is for racing, but once you can get even the basics down, it will help you fly your own drone in the real world. Or you can hook your drone & remote up and use that simulator, but what a hassle compared to a quick easy app. imho

I am just trying to discover if there will be any advantage of Goggles RE - or I simply overpaid? Adventage over the Version 1?

And another thing - how shall I start with Mavic air connection to Goggle RE. What shall I do- aircraft is set-up already without propellers at home.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato