DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice before takeoff & landing from a boat

I have an old MPP that I fly off sailboats that are moving. I have a handle mounted to the bottom that makes it much easier and safer to retrieve.
Always take off from the back so the boat moves away as soon as airborne. Much safer to approach from the back of a moving boat, then you can just abort the approach by letting the drone go back to a hover.
I have one person managing the boat, one person flying the drone and someone else catching the drone. It is much harder to fly and catch.
Obstacle detecting is a problem for approaching most boats. The MPP has only fwd obstacle detection, so I just back into the boat.
After catching, turn the drone on its side to stop the rotors. Otherwise the drone is frantically trying to get to a hover.
Lastly there was a setting limiting how far from the takeoff point. Definitely want that off if the boat is moving.
Good luck. You get great photos and videos.

Reactions: mavictk
This is a great thread and is a great help.

I would like to have my original Mini follow my boat towing a skier or a tuber, using Litchi (at least until I upgrade). I typically have a GoPro set up to record but this is a whole new perspective.

Based on what I’ve learned her, I am going to practice take off and landing at the dock, then In calm waters and then in a little rougher waters in the back bay. Then I will try just following the boat without a skier and then put it all together.

In terms of obstacle avoidance, there are no trees in the river we play in, so my only obstacle is taller boats. Keeping the drone at 30 feet should be enough to avoid them.

Like any other skill set, putting it together in stages makes the most sense. Thanks for the great advice

If you decide you absolutely must hand catch a drone, at least get yourself a pair of decent gloves as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) - At a minimum, there are grade 5 Cut Resistant gloves available, this is the level of glove recommended for use in the glass industry. I would be tempted to go even one better and use the steel mesh gloves that butchers wear.

A drone, however expensive, is worth a lot less than the continued use of your hand.

If you decide you absolutely must hand catch a drone, at least get yourself a pair of decent gloves as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) - At a minimum, there are grade 5 Cut Resistant gloves available, this is the level of glove recommended for use in the glass industry. I would be tempted to go even one better and use the steel mesh gloves that butchers wear.

A drone, however expensive, is worth a lot less than the continued use of your hand.
Thanks for the advice, it's very helpful. I have fishing gloves and a pair of gloves I use for cleaning crabs. Hopefully they would provide enough protection.

As an update, I did order the Mini 3 pro and that has tracking built in. Can't wait to try it on land and then on the water!

Reactions: Gringorio
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa