DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice - Drone Malfunction after latest firmware update

sinbrad

Reactions
Ok guys, Updated my MA2 to the latest firmware on Friday, took my drone out yesterday evening to take some night shots which is something I had done previously without problem.

My battery was fully charged and it was a clear night. I took off as normal and the home point registered. Took it up to a height of 120m and took a couple of shots, almost immediately I noticed the battery had dropped to around 50% and started to panic, it was just about then the dji fly started to show up warning messages about being in a restricted zone, which I wasn't and intermittent warnings about losing connection with the drone, what it was above me? So I decided to bring the drone back down and that is when things really started to happen. It started to show up messages about wind conditions and that I need to fly carefully, I then decided to hit return to home and although I got the indications of it returning to home it started to increase in height and also the distance between me and the drone started to increase. I cancelled the return to home and tried to do it manually but it would not respond and I watched on the screen of my phone as it started to move further and further away, I tried again to initiate RTM but no joy and then the message came up stating critical battery alert and that the drone had decided it had to land. I eventually lost connection with the drone. After calming down I decided to check out the flightpath it had logged and followed that flight path and after about an hour and a half I spotted it lying at the side of our local railway track. I managed to get hold of someone from the railway signal box who came to my aid and retrieved the drone but on return wasn't good news as it had suffered damage and one of the front legs was snapped and some superficial damage to the rear, both on the same side.

My question is, would DJI have any responsibility due to the fact that it hadn't done this sort of thing prior to this latest update and also I think I had read someone else had had similar problems but they never had their drone crash land?

Thanks

Given the recent firmware issues, it would be helpful if you could post the firmware/app versions.
I also imagine someone will ask you to post flight logs for analysis (and to use as evidence when contacting DJI).

My question is, would DJI have any responsibility due to the fact that it hadn't done this sort of thing prior to this latest update and also I think I had read someone else had had similar problems but they never had their drone crash land?
The answer will be in the recorded flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: Thomas B
The answer will be in the recorded flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Or .. just post the txt file here.
Sometimes its in the flight data, but sometimes it isnt. But what if the flight data is incorrect? What if it says high wind and thats untrue? Theres no way to tell that is a malfunction because it doesnt tell wind soeed and direction, right?

Sometimes its in the flight data, but sometimes it isnt. But what if the flight data is incorrect? What if it says high wind and thats untrue? Theres no way to tell that is a malfunction because it doesnt tell wind soeed and direction, right?
All I know is the "Log Guru's" here are batting about 98% on failures and a very good percentage of the "I did nothing wrong" posts of the "Fly Aways"are shown that they really did cause the issues known as OE (Operator Error) ;) And as for logs you would be surprised what they show...taking what you said...logs do indeed show what direction and approximate what speed wind is coming from. It can be derived from motor speeds, tilt angles and adjustments and what direction the aircraft is facing using compass.

Reactions: dawgpilot
All I know is the "Log Guru's" here are batting about 98% on failures and a very good percentage of the "I did nothing wrong" posts of the "Fly Aways"are shown that they really did cause the issues known as OE (Operator Error) ;) And as for logs you would be surprised what they show...taking what you said...logs do indeed show what direction and approximate what speed wind is coming from. It can be derived from motor speeds, tilt angles and adjustments and what direction the aircraft is facing using compass.
Oh cool, Im gonna have to check out my log data if I can borrow a computer. I just have a ipad pro and last drone i had worked with a app for dji assistant 1. I wish the assistant 2 was a app..

The recorded flight data shows exactly what the sensors were detecting and what the drone was doing for the full flight.
It often shows things the flyer didn't notice or misunderstood.
I'm pretty sure that the cause of what you described will be shown very clearly in the recorded flight data.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929