DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice on FPV upgrade

mar10029

Reactions
Hi,

I got a Mavic Air a year and a half ago and I loved it. Recently, was setting up for a low shot over the incoming surf, and a big wave hit it. The drone returned to home, but was clearly water damaged with salt water. I tried a few things (distilled water rinse, alcohol, drying chamber with silica gel), but it looks like it's not coming back. Spoke with DJI, but it seems like it would cost a lot to repair and it's an old model, etc....

So since I still had the controller, two batteries, etc.. I decided I could just replace the drone itself, I found a used one for around $300. Now I'm thinking maybe I should upgrade?

I really like the idea of FPV with some sort of goggles, so my questions are -

1) Do you guys recommend trying to do this with the original Mavic Air? Or would I be better off upgrading to a more current model. Cost is clearly a concern, but I don't mind putting some money into the project.

2) If possible, I would like to get a headset that I could also use for those VR boxing / exercise games like they have on Oculus. Any recommendations? The DJI Goggles RE? Or maybe the Cinemizer OLED?

Thanks!

Hi,

I got a Mavic Air a year and a half ago and I loved it. Recently, was setting up for a low shot over the incoming surf, and a big wave hit it. The drone returned to home, but was clearly water damaged with salt water. I tried a few things (distilled water rinse, alcohol, drying chamber with silica gel), but it looks like it's not coming back. Spoke with DJI, but it seems like it would cost a lot to repair and it's an old model, etc....

So since I still had the controller, two batteries, etc.. I decided I could just replace the drone itself, I found a used one for around $300. Now I'm thinking maybe I should upgrade?

I really like the idea of FPV with some sort of goggles, so my questions are -

1) Do you guys recommend trying to do this with the original Mavic Air? Or would I be better off upgrading to a more current model. Cost is clearly a concern, but I don't mind putting some money into the project.

2) If possible, I would like to get a headset that I could also use for those VR boxing / exercise games like they have on Oculus. Any recommendations? The DJI Goggles RE? Or maybe the Cinemizer OLED?

Thanks!
The Mavic Air is compatible with the DJI goggles but most of the newer drones aren’t.

First of the DJI goggles kind of suck. I never use mine. They are just too bulky and I’m convinced they weren’t designed to fit on a human head. The one nice thing about them is the head tracking which you can only get with the Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, and Mavic 2.

You could use any goggles you want but only with a remote that has HDMI out like the Phantoms or Inspire or with a device that has an HDMI out like the smart controller or Crystal sky which I believe is only for drones that use DJI Go 4 so the mini or Mavic Air 2 won’t work at all.

Reactions: mar10029
The Mavic Air is compatible with the DJI goggles but most of the newer drones aren’t.

First of the DJI goggles kind of suck. I never use mine. They are just too bulky and I’m convinced they weren’t designed to fit on a human head. The one nice thing about them is the head tracking which you can only get with the Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, and Mavic 2.

You could use any goggles you want but only with a remote that has HDMI out like the Phantoms or Inspire or with a device that has an HDMI out like the smart controller or Crystal sky which I believe is only for drones that use DJI Go 4 so the mini or Mavic Air 2 won’t work at all.
Thanks so much! So the stock controller that comes with the Mavic Air doesn't have HDMI?

If I just wanted to try FPV out with my current setup at minimal cost (assuming that I get that used Mavic Air to replace mine), I can use the DJI goggles and not need anything else? If I bought any other goggles, I would have to buy a different remote to use with the Mavic AIr?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks so much! So the stock controller that comes with the Mavic Air doesn't have HDMI?

If I just wanted to try FPV out with my current setup at minimal cost (assuming that I get that used Mavic Air to replace mine), I can use the DJI goggles and not need anything else? If I bought any other goggles, I would have to buy a different remote to use with the Mavic AIr?

I appreciate the help.
The Mavic Air is special in that it can use the USB port on the remote to connect to the goggles so that’s all you’d need. To connect the Mavic Air to some other type of goggles you’d have to get a Crystal Sky. Mavic Air may also work with the Epson Moverio BT glasses but I’m not sure and it seems like a bit of a finicky set up to me. Another thing I like about the DJI goggles is you can continue using your normal device as well as the goggles which you couldn’t do with the Moverio Glasses.

If you can get over the bulkiness and poor fit of the DJI Goggles they are the best option. You really don’t need the RE edition. It looks cooler but there’s not really any difference in this scenario. At the top on the headband on the DJI goggles is a plastic plate and if you remove this they are much more comfortable but not 100%3FA6A3BF-E252-4915-8064-CDD5B1F95D0A.jpeg

I will say that with the Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 the ability to use the goggles wirelessly is really nice.

Great, thanks again! So maybe a good way to start would be:

1) Get the used Mavic Air to replace my dead one.

2) Get the DJI goggles (Does the better latency in the RE version make much of a difference?)

3) If I like this, I can upgrade to a better drone and goggles.

I appreciate your help

Great, thanks again! So maybe a good way to start would be:

1) Get the used Mavic Air to replace my dead one.

2) Get the DJI goggles (Does the better latency in the RE version make much of a difference?)

3) If I like this, I can upgrade to a better drone and goggles.

I appreciate your help

The DJI Goggles are not compatible with VR games e.g. Oculus titles
I don't believe there are any model of goggles that can do a cross over without a lot of faffing around.

The new model epson BT-40s will probably have the ability to run both DJI G04 and DJI Fly as it's 64bit, but since they have not been released just yet this hasn't been tested.

The older BT-300 which you should be able to pick up second hand runs DJI Go4 and I often use mine to fly the Mavic Air, Spark, Phantom 4 pro and Mavic Pro Platinum, with the lastest version of Litchi you can even use the BT-300's with the Mavic Mini 1 and maybe in the future the MA2.

I've found the flying experience with the BT-300's much better than the goggles as you can see through the glasses for vlos as well as your surroundings. They are also lighter and less bulky than the DJI goggle form factor. You can even turn then into a fully enclosed unit like goggles by buying a housing. I also use my goggles for watching 3d movies like Avatar etc.

This older video, gives you an idea what you can do with the BT-300's and a Mavic Air 1, even though they are flying a Mavic Pro.

Last edited:
Gotcha, thanks! That would be a BIG advantage, to be able to see the world as well.

Any downside to these? Problem if you wear glasses? Do the DJI goggles give you a more immersive experience by blocking out the outside?

Gotcha, thanks! That would be a BIG advantage, to be able to see the world as well.

Any downside to these? Problem if you wear glasses? Do the DJI goggles give you a more immersive experience by blocking out the outside?

If you wear glasses you can use prescription inserts, but some people get away without using them.

If you want that FPV goggle type experience you can get a housing to completely seal out the outside light and still have VLOS through the glasses, the type of shade you use on the front determines the amount of ambient light transmission, the darker the shade the less you can see through the glasses. A full black cover will mean you will only see the DJI Go4 screen, the main point is that with the glasses it's adjustable.

Strictly speaking with the DJI goggles you should legally have a spotter while flying as you don't have VLOS.

You might want to wait a little bit as the rumor mill says DJI might be releasing new FPV drone soon.

You might want to wait a little bit as the rumor mill says DJI might be releasing new FPV drone soon.
Good point. I could just pick up the used Mavic Air replacement for $300 and fly that for now...

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair