DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

After 3 months I finally took my first flight(s) with my Mavic Pro! Pics!

Mavic_Pete

Reactions
Hello Pilots,

I bought my Mavic in June but living in AZ the temps have been 110+ almost everyday. Not only is that too hot for me but it is also above the recommended flying temp of 104 degrees by DJI. Regardless of the temps I still decided to take this $1600 purchase slow. I spent many hours reading the manual and watching countless YouTube videos as well as checking this forum daily. I learned a TON of helpful information that made me feel more than confident while flying today. I highly recommend taking your time if you are a new pilot. I have flown Hubsan drones before but this drone is on a different level! I also bought all the accessories I wanted before attempting my first flight (fly more combo, hard shell case, iPad mini 4 WiFi with anti glare screen protector, mavmount, anker cable, bomber/ID sticker set, and most importantly State Farm PAP). After feeling confident and AZ finally in the high 70's/ low 80's until about 9am I installed the app, updated the drone, checked all the settings, and took 2 flawless flights this morning! I didn't take any video but I did take some pictures below! I was so impressed with how the drone handled. My first battery I used return to home feature to see how well it worked. The drone returned to the exact position it was launch from on a beach towel..very impressive!! On the second flight I did a pilot controlled landing and once again it worked flawless. The iPad mini 4 had no issues either. I never lost video, app never crashed, catching of the map worked perfect. I highly recommend it! I also highly recommend the mavmount. It made the controller feel very balanced and was not heavy at all. I was also very impressed with the picture quality! I didn't even take these pictures off the SD card I just emailed them to myself from the DJI Go 4 app editor on my iPad mini 4. So far I have nothing bad to say about this set up or this drone! This was just at my park but I can not wait to get this into the desert and on vacations to the beach! If you want any links to my accessories just drop a comment! Thanks for reading!! Enjoy!!

The drone and all accessories!

Pictures from today's flight! (The first basketball court pic is already my favorite picture haha!!)

Last edited:
You did it right by putting time in to study before flying. I have a hubsan h501c which was a step from toy quad. But you're right - this is a different animal. I've only logged about 1:15 flying time and I'm still trying to learn to quickly access all the settings on the controller and go 4 app. Congrats on a successful start! There's much to learn and there's some good help here. I'm still learning to upload the video to my pic. It's sort of hit and miss.

Thanks for the replies! It was definitely hard not to get out there and fly right away but I am glad I did. I had the hubsan x4 previously but that was good learning drone and wasn't worried to lose $40 I even crashed it into the pool a few times and it still worked fine lol. Now I know what the drone would feel like in atti mode and be ready to control it myself.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
Welcome AZ flier I'm also in the hot state. My new mavic arrived in July and I find myself flying extremely early in the morning. Welcome to the forum you will find a wealth of info here.

Congrats on your 1st flight.. Great shots.. Looks like you were ready to go. Great to see you got your aircraft covered by Statefarm.. Makes flying a little less nerve racking :) Enjoy the Mavic Pro
Did you get any filters?

Thanks I appreciate it! Yes I am glad I was able to get it covered as well. At least I know I have one Mavic on them if something ever happened to this one.

I did not get any filters. I didn't even download the pics from the originals on the micro sd card. I just saved them to my Ipad from the DJI Go 4 app editor and emailed them to myself. I still need a 64gb micro sd to replace the standard 16gb one that came with the Mavic so thats why I am sticking to pictures for now.

So why did you decide to go with the mavmount? The iPad can fit on the controller directly

So why did you decide to go with the mavmount? The iPad can fit on the controller directly

More so a personal choice. I don't like how the iPad fits into the bottom of the RC. Seems tight and makes the controller feel more bulky since the arms are spread out to the side. I don't want to break off one of my arms trying to fit the iPad mini that just barely fits.I believe the arms should be straight up and down at a 90 degree angle not pointing out to the sides at maximum width.With the mavmount the controller feels great and very well balanced when in hand. Some people don't like them because it blocks the RC screen. I had no problem seeing the screen on the RC by looking below or above the iPad if needed. Its not like you really need to see the RC screen anyway since all of that info is on your iPad screen.

I mean doesnt this look so much better...

...Than this.....

Very nice setup. I am from AZ too and Got my bird in June. I usually fly really early in the morning to escape the heat. Your pics look really awesome. What are the camera settings you have on it? Did you have any ND filters on the cam?

Hello Pilots,

I bought my Mavic in June but living in AZ the temps have been 110+ almost everyday. Not only is that too hot for me but it is also above the recommended flying temp of 104 degrees by DJI. Regardless of the temps I still decided to take this $1600 purchase slow. I spent many hours reading the manual and watching countless YouTube videos as well as checking this forum daily. I learned a TON of helpful information that made me feel more than confident while flying today. I highly recommend taking your time if you are a new pilot. I have flown Hubsan drones before but this drone is on a different level! I also bought all the accessories I wanted before attempting my first flight (fly more combo, hard shell case, iPad mini 4 WiFi with anti glare screen protector, mavmount, anker cable, bomber/ID sticker set, and most importantly State Farm PAP). After feeling confident and AZ finally in the high 70's/ low 80's until about 9am I installed the app, updated the drone, checked all the settings, and took 2 flawless flights this morning! I didn't take any video but I did take some pictures below! I was so impressed with how the drone handled. My first battery I used return to home feature to see how well it worked. The drone returned to the exact position it was launch from on a beach towel..very impressive!! On the second flight I did a pilot controlled landing and once again it worked flawless. The iPad mini 4 had no issues either. I never lost video, app never crashed, catching of the map worked perfect. I highly recommend it! I also highly recommend the mavmount. It made the controller feel very balanced and was not heavy at all. I was also very impressed with the picture quality! I didn't even take these pictures off the SD card I just emailed them to myself from the DJI Go 4 app editor on my iPad mini 4. So far I have nothing bad to say about this set up or this drone! This was just at my park but I can not wait to get this into the desert and on vacations to the beach! If you want any links to my accessories just drop a comment! Thanks for reading!! Enjoy!!

Pictures from today's flight! (The first basketball court pic is already my favorite picture haha!!)

Reactions: Mavic_Pete
Thanks I app
Very nice setup. I am from AZ too and Got my bird in June. I usually fly really early in the morning to escape the heat. Your pics look really awesome. What are the camera settings you have on it? Did you have any ND filters on the cam?

Sweet, always nice to meet another AZ pilot! As of right now early mornings are the way to go. It's beautiful out. Can't wait till it drops a little more! I have no clue what my camera was set on. It was definitely auto but I slid the wheel a few times and thought it looked good on my screen so went with it lol!! I had no ND filters either. I dont even have any yet.

Have you found any spots to fly yet for good pics or video?

Thanks I app

Sweet, always nice to meet another AZ pilot! As of right now early mornings are the way to go. It's beautiful out. Can't wait till it drops a little more! I have no clue what my camera was set on. It was definitely auto but I slid the wheel a few times and thought it looked good on my screen so went with it lol!! I had no ND filters either. I dont even have any yet.

Have you found any spots to fly yet for good pics or video?

Great!! My camera do not take good pics/video as yours for some reason. I will probably reset all settings on it and try again. Coming to ND filter I have one on all the time. Just to protect the camera. I had a crash and my old ND filter took a hit and shattered. If not for the filter, I will not be looking for a replacement part.
I live in North Phoenix and surrounded my Desert in most of the directions, mainly behind my house. I usually fly there. I haven't still tried going out to a location and fly.

Where in AZ are you from?

Great!! My camera do not take good pics/video as yours for some reason. I will probably reset all settings on it and try again. Coming to ND filter I have one on all the time. Just to protect the camera. I had a crash and my old ND filter took a hit and shattered. If not for the filter, I will not be looking for a replacement part.
I live in North Phoenix and surrounded my Desert in most of the directions, mainly behind my house. I usually fly there. I haven't still tried going out to a location and fly.

Where in AZ are you from?

Hmm interesting I wonder what's different in our settings. I live in Chandler by 101 and Elliot. Was thinking of taking my mavic down to Tempe Town Lake and trying to get a few shots of ASU stadium while empty. It doesn't look like a NFZ just a green warning zone.

you do realize that you can shoot 4K video continuously for an entire battery (20+ min.) on a 16gb card, right? Instead of getting a 64gb, grab several 16gb cards for the same or less. Change the card each time you change batteries, then in the worst case scenario (i.e. your Mavic goes down and you can't locate it), you've only lost one flight's worth of footage, not several flights worth

Reactions: BikerBuster
you do realize that you can shoot 4K video continuously for an entire battery (20+ min.) on a 16gb card, right? Instead of getting a 64gb, grab several 16gb cards for the same or less. Change the card each time you change batteries, then in the worst case scenario (i.e. your Mavic goes down and you can't locate it), you've only lost one flight's worth of footage, not several flights worth

Yes, I do realize that. Ill stick with a 64gb. I'm not trying to mess with my flap and change cards every flight. I'm also not looking to record 20+ minute videos. I'll probably record 30 seconds to 5 minutes at a time and maybe do that a few times each battery. I don't see the point of recording your whole flight. Never seen a 28 minute drone video before. And the 64gb will be more than fine for all 3 batteries plus some and if not I'll have a spare 16gb. I'll take the chance and hope I don't lost my mavic haha!

I'm in AZ too (Tucson area). The summer monsoon season with high temps are not very conducive to flying but do produce some great sunsets. Here are a few of mine:

Attachments

• E16E6BAE-585E-4C9B-96EE-EC7FA791D4C4.JPG
    E16E6BAE-585E-4C9B-96EE-EC7FA791D4C4.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
  • DJI_0078_HDR.jpg
    DJI_0078_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
  • DJI_0118_HDR.jpg
    DJI_0118_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
I'm in AZ too (Tucson area). The summer monsoon season with high temps are not very conducive to flying but do produce some great sunsets. Here are a few of mine:
Amazing pics..u should start teaching fellow forum members..[emoji39]

Hello Pilots,

Great picts! That tennis court is a like a nice private CopterPad to takeoff and land. I wanted to wait like you until I watched all the YT vids and read forums like this, but I had to bite the bullet and bring it to Cancun with me after only 4 days of owning it (Yikes!). I was very careful flying it in Mexico and never let it out of LOS. Welcome to the club!

Reactions: Mavic_Pete
Great picts! That tennis court is a like a nice private CopterPad to takeoff and land. I wanted to wait like you until I watched all the YT vids and read forums like this, but I had to bite the bullet and bring it to Cancun with me after only 4 days of owning it (Yikes!). I was very careful flying it in Mexico and never let it out of LOS. Welcome to the club!

Thank you! I bet you got some great shots in Cancun! I have a timeshare in Cabo and can't wait to take it there. Going to Hawaii this summer and I'm also excited about that. I feel the same as you, no reason to let it go out of LOS, especially when just getting use to it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman