DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

After 8 days at 80 feet in the cold waters of Puget Sound

Rice is good to fill your belly but not for drone drying after salt water immersion. It only takes seconds of immersion to ruin a mavic. I speak from bitter experience.
The best you could do with any electronic device is to rinse it well in fresh water then blow dry as much as you can, then let it dry out by itself. Source: I was an electronic technician in the Navy.

Reactions: MS Coast
Hi there,

Just wanted to share some photos of my Mavic 2 Pro that I crashed a while ago. After shooting some footage for an hour, I was feet away from landing. As I was coming around a large boat, I pushed a stick by accident and slammed into the dock. It was a cold November day and my hands were freezing. That clearly contributed.

Anyway, I lost an hour of work and that was the last day of good weather for a while. For days I pondered what to do, and on day 8 I called a diver shop and had them dive in in hope that if they located it, I could perhaps recover my footage. Before they dove in they told me the chances were slim and that currents had likely carried it to the middle of Puget Sound. Fifteen minutes later they found it. It sat at the depth of 80 feet for 8 days. And most importantly, I recovered every single file from my SanDisk card, rated to survive several hours at 10 ft. The plastic at the bottom of the drone that's missing did not brake upon impact. It's the salt that ate through it.

Hope you don't go through this ;)

View attachment 161181View attachment 161182View attachment 161183View attachment 161184View attachment 161185View attachment 161186View attachment 161187View attachment 161188View attachment 161189

The best you could do with any electronic device is to rinse it well in fresh water then blow dry as much as you can, then let it dry out by itself. Source: I was an electronic technician in the Navy.
Actually if your going to use water you're better off with distilled water. They thought us that in the private sector 😉

Reactions: MS Coast
Actually if your going to use water you're better off with distilled water. They thought us that in the private sector 😉
Rinse out with distilled water for better salt removal, and then add some isopropyl alcohol to help it dry out faster .

Rinse out with distilled water for better salt removal, and then add some isopropyl alcohol to help it dry out faster .

Thumbswayup

Yep, isopropyl (as pure as possible) will displace the water instantly, then evaporate very fast, and won't damage pretty much anything I can think of.

Trouble is it's getting hard to find (and $$$ to buy), as it's used in hand sanitiser.
Since covid it's really gotten difficult to get.

I use it as a solvent for removing hot glue tabs in auto repair.
To date I have had no trouble finding 99% pure (pre covid).
Not sure what I'll find when I need it in perhaps 12 months time.

Reactions: AMann
Thumbswayup

Yep, isopropyl (as pure as possible) will displace the water instantly, then evaporate very fast, and won't damage pretty much anything I can think of.

Trouble is it's getting hard to find (and $$$ to buy), as it's used in hand sanitiser.
Since covid it's really gotten difficult to get.

I use it as a solvent for removing hot glue tabs in auto repair.
To date I have had no trouble finding 99% pure (pre covid).
Not sure what I'll find when I need it in perhaps 12 months time.
You know what’s really wierd about isopropyl alcohol? Mix it with water in equal volumes, and you end up with more liquid volume than the two original volumes added together!

• Wow
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
You know what’s really wierd about isopropyl alcohol? Mix it with water in equal volumes, and you end up with more liquid volume than the two original volumes added together!
C'mon, you can't drop info like that and not explain why.

C'mon, you can't drop info like that and not explain why.
@AMann got it backwards... it's the opposite.

When 50 milliliters of water are added to 50 milliliters of alcohol, the volume of the two mixed together is only about 96 or 97 milliliters. When mixed together, the combined molecules fit together better than when they are alone, so they take up less space. Water and alcohol mix to form a solution.

Reactions: AMann
@AMann got it backwards... it's the opposite.

When 50 milliliters of water are added to 50 milliliters of alcohol, the volume of the two mixed together is only about 96 or 97 milliliters. When mixed together, the combined molecules fit together better than when they are alone, so they take up less space. Water and alcohol mix to form a solution.
Oops, thanks! Sorry about that, I’m just used to getting more for less and really hate getting less for more! 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: slup
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31