DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

After a flight do you format SD (after saving media)

I just select all the video and picture files and move them over to a folder on my computer and never format again. really no need to, unless your SD card is so small that the data files take over. Certainly not required every time though.

Reactions: Maxxpsoft
After each flight I hook up my cable from the mini, connect it to the PC and transfer videos and pictures.
When I am finished with that I unplug it all, power up the mini and format the SD card.
Except nowadays I wash my hands after each task. ?

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Wondering what the best way, after a flight, to do with the SD. Obviously save the pics and video, do you then format it? Noticed there is some large log files in there as well, are they any use if it was a successful flight? I know they are important if have a crash or problems.

Do you just delete the media manually, or format?

Thanks
Every recommendation I've seen over the years is to reformat after each use.prevents errors,while rare,can ruin your day.

This is what I do as well. I have only once tried to fly and had the bird tell me my card was full.

I always format in the bird. I had problems when I tried to format outside.
Same here, I have never taken my card out except to change from 32GB to 128GB. I send photos and videos to Mac and when I have flown a few times I format in the AC. After a year and a half I have never had a problem.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I just transfer files to a folder on my computer and delete the files on the card then put it back in the drone. Not sure why there is a need to reformat the card each time. I suspect if you don't reformat they are still really there and with certain software are available but the available space when I check it shows a full 32GB.
The 32GB is what is available but if you don't reformat the SD card there are old files still there which the appropriate software may be able to restore if none of their sectors have been overwritten by newer files.

After each flight I hook up my cable from the mini, connect it to the PC and transfer videos and pictures.
When I am finished with that I unplug it all, power up the mini and format the SD card.
Except nowadays I wash my hands after each task. ?
And do not touch your face!

I fly weekly and find that formatting my cards shortens the life of the card, so I just remove the files on the card and they seem to last longer

256GB card so no need to format every time. I have an Olympus camera and their software recognises the card as a photo store and imports only the new & updated files from the card. That's saved to a OneDrive folder and Microsoft do the job of copying to the cloud. I also have a scheduled job to copy my OneDrive photo library to Google photos, the free version but still a decent 2nd backup solution.

I fly weekly and find that formatting my cards shortens the life of the card, so I just remove the files on the card and they seem to last longer
The in drone format is only a quick format, not a true low level format. It will not degrade the card in any way. It simply removes the index, and allows the files to be overwritten as needed. Removing the files essentially does the same thing. They aren't truly deleted. The quick format creates a new index file, so no corruption in the prior index file is carried forward.

I delete the files off the card after transferring them to my network storage, and then every so often, I will reformat the SD card while I check the Mavic over as it hovers after take-off.

Opening and closing the SD door or the usb door in the Mavic too much can result in breaking the small pins of this door. Then it closes no so good any more and you will have to use tape. IMG_20200221_161612.jpg

I have had the same 2, 128 GB SD cards for 2 years now and I simply pull the cards out put in my PC card reader and move (Not Copy) to local Solid State HD. I have rarely ever reformatted...I am just lazy, i guess but I have never had any issues.

Reactions: Thomas B and iglou7
I just remove the files, make sure they are all there, move to the trash, reinsert card into the drone.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian