DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 attacked by big birds and crashed

boblui

Reactions
Reported by a local pilot today :

Involved was this species. White bellied sea eagle. Absolutely gorgeous creature. I hope they are not hurt in the incident .

1614685897281.png

1614685981481.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Petey
Ditto.
I dont understand why people keep their drone 'hanging about' when birds of prey start getting interested in the drone.
I came across a very amenable buzzard some time ago with a Phantom3 and spent a couple of minutes 'near it' but I suppose it eventually decided enough was enough and made what looked like a flyby.
I brought the drone back at that and the buzzard carried on hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MA2 survived the first attack and it speaks volumes on its toughness. Too bad another attack came. Sorry for the crash and I hope you were able to recover your drone.

In my neck of the woods, I do not have these magnificent birds. I have the garden variety crows and once the MA2 is in the air, the flock starts circling around it, getting ready to pounce. I keep the MA2 in VLOS and once I sense the flock getting closer and more daring, I immediately descend and return to home.

Last edited:
It's said that your best defense against an impending bird attack is to rocket vertically, a maneuver impossible to birds.

I also have a glittering holographic skin on my MA. So far, so good, but I can't claim it's a perfect shield. I think it may help scare off birds, but it only takes one fearless eagle.

Appreciate the problem. Sorry about your drone.
I Aborted this mission after 4 progressively closer passes

Have buzzards and crows round my area, they don't seem to want to tackle the drone (as yet), but in summer I do have swallows buzzing me, so I quickly descend. Wouldn't want the birds to be hit by a prop, or legs removed if a buzzard decides to attack.

Dont have any sea eagles here in my part of the UK but the drone will sometimes wind the local gulls up. Usually they dont do much beyond making a lot of noise. However, watch out for Oystercatchers. Been attacked twice by these. They are fearless and will go in hard, also they get organised bringing their mates in for a coordinated attack. Got away by a rapid ascent, fast sideways move and landing. Still, the birds were there first and I try always to give way to them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54