DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Captures Frankenstein Lighting in the Pouring Rain

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
50 miles away the Storm took down buildings in Sandusky Ohio but we just got a few fast winds and a pouring rain.
We purposely let the Air 2 Sit in the Rain for about 10 minutes , than we start and stop , start and stop as part of the testing process in the rain.

Once the Lightning started we flew right out into the heart of the Storm.
Lighting happens quick, I have slowed this down to 5% - than 50% and than 100 % and this is why you want to have those Extra frames to work with...

Note: We are struggling with the Connection to the Air 2 using the Iphone 11 Pro Plus Because of this we have to turn the IPhone off and kill all other programs to get the Air 2 to connect , its no fun.

Im praying the Smart Controller update comes soon.

The Full Lightning video we shot will be posted on Phantomrain.org
Where I will post the color graded Pictures and video.

if you blink you might have missed them , but the 4K frames shows the monster behind the storm. :oops:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in and out of the Storm.

Thought I would show just how many different pictures of Lightning i got in that single flash of lightning down below.,

Last edited:
Frame by Frame by Frame they start to tumble out :

Unreal how many pictures I have from the Single Split second of Lightning.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 In and out of the Storm.
Coal

You should see these on a larger scale, very nice.

In no particular order
Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.43.15.jpg

Screenshot 06-10-2020 23.27.21.jpg

Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.39.02.jpg

Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.39.42.jpg

Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.47.22.jpg

Here our some Pictures of the last Tornado Watch we had captured again in the pouring rain.
The video is on the website.
Phantomrain.org

Ligntning-strike-5cac00912ce5c-1381x763.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-54-35-PM-5dd4e6bb349bb-1381x778.png

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-57-06-PM-5dd4e6ca0a2e7-1381x771.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.42.43.jpg
    Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.42.43.jpg
    937.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.46.58.jpg
    Screenshot 06-11-2020 02.46.58.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 14
Holy cow! (I just cleaned that phrase up). I know you guys sell rain jackets but this is insane!

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
50 miles away the Storm took down buildings in Sandusky Ohio but we just got a few fast winds and a pouring rain.
We purposely let the Air 2 Sit in the Rain for about 10 minutes , than we start and stop , start and stop as part of the testing process in the rain.

Once the Lightning started we flew right out into the heart of the Storm.
Lighting happens quick, I have slowed this down to 5% - than 50% and than 100 % and this is why you want to have those Extra frames to work with...

Note: We are struggling with the Connection to the Air 2 using the Iphone 11 Pro Plus Because of this we have to turn the IPhone off and kill all other programs to get the Air 2 to connect , its no fun.

Im praying the Smart Controller update comes soon.

The Full Lightning video we shot will be posted on Phantomrain.org
Where I will post the color graded Pictures and video.

if you blink you might have missed them , but the 4K frames shows the monster behind the storm. :oops:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in and out of the Storm.

Thought I would show just how many different pictures of Lightning i got in that single flash of lightning down below.,
W0W, I'm impressed. Especially flying with the sideways driving rain! If your rain suit will protect the MA2 in that, I should have no problem in lessor rain and snow.

W0W, I'm impressed. Especially flying with the sideways driving rain! If your rain suit will protect the MA2 in that, I should have no problem in lessor rain and snow.

Thank you for your interest.
Will be posting the Wet Suits on the website soon.

Thank you for your interest.
Will be posting the Wet Suits on the website soon.
My concern is the camera. I know it still works, but it must be sealed from the factory? One more, what about the vents, what's keeping the water out of them?

My concern is the camera. I know it still works, but it must be sealed from the factory? One more, what about the vents, what's keeping the water out of them?

We have been testing the Wet Suit for a Few years now and the Vents do not take on water , not even when flying, The Camera does have an excellent seal as we have the tested the Camera under water.
With that said , its the Battery and Power Button is the Weak Link, All you have to do is fly for about 2 minutes in the rain and you will have water in the battery , this was the reason for the Wet Suit as it happens in both the Mavic 2 and Mavic pro and now the Air 2 is the worst of the bunch. Than you have the Power Button that takes in water and that leads to an Error : Battery not able to communicate with the Drone and than a crash.

You should also keep in mind the added benefits of the Wet Suit besides flying in the rain.
Provides a nice professional appearance , little different that a skin.
Your one step closer to a Search and Rescue Drone.
provides a nice non slip secure hold on the drone for catch and carry
Secures the legs in so no back and fourth movement occurs from wear and tear.
Protects your batteries from being compromised.

If you have in climate weather conditions the Wet Suit is the way to go as its easy to get caught in a down pour.
Phantomrain.org Email me at [email protected] We offer a nice Discounted package for the Forum Members only.
Coal

Screenshot 06-06-2020 09.44.44.jpg

For those asking about how it flew after the next day using the same battery: It was an amazing flight test. Air 2 is looking more brilliant all the time.

So this is the video after the Air 2 sat for 20 minutes in the Pouring Rain and flew into the storm to capture the lightning.

I did not even wipe the camera lens just let it dry on it own no wipe down and
Flew today, 1 day after the mayhem Raw 4K footage of the test flight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada