DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Imminent Danger ; Warning Flags and DJI emergency Tactics to the rescue.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
I am open to any Non Obvious ideas as to WT> Pete happened out there that night..

I realize I had some expectations that were a little over the top , it should be noted that the Unit was tested to 12000 ft before being sent back to me so I am fairly certain the install is a good one.

I dont think the Rain had anything to do with how the Drone was reacting
and when you compare it to my other Car Videos with the SC this makes no sense.

None the less this is DJI working at its Finest.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain / Snow land on Water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear

FYI : UPDATE Since changing the Signal on the Alien Dual Booster the Results have been Fantastic.
It should come with a warning not to use HD transmission with a Smart Controller .

Now the Alien 2 has surpassed any expectations I had for it.

Last edited:
A penguin that's lost from the Arc? Classic :p I guess take it up to about 100' step outside the car and see how far you get...I see far to many posts on these "Booster" antennas that install has screwed up and they get "Crap" range... I wouldn't expect my SC to get 1000' at your 10'-15' height either, but that steer wheel clip in just looks like your banging signal right off your gauge cluster/dash board, so might have not a good enough angle on it, but up on dash it should have been fine...not sure what ya got going on there. Was a nice present for sure, but ehhh on performance. Hope you get it figured out. ;)

If you get good line of sight outside the car and range issues working, go with a suction cup roof top mount for antenna array and get some longer cabling? I have seen that work for quite a few car cabin jockeys :) Just be advised that your set up is seriously focus output to the front and needs "Steered" directly at drone or there about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
A penguin that's lost from the Arc? Classic :p I guess take it up to about 100' step outside the car and see how far you get...I see far to many posts on these "Booster" antennas that install has screwed up and they get "Crap" range... I wouldn't expect my SC to get 1000' at your 10'-15' height either, but that steer wheel clip in just looks like your banging signal right off your gauge cluster/dash board, so might have not a good enough angle on it, but up on dash it should have been fine...not sure what ya got going on there. Was a nice present for sure, but ehhh on performance. Hope you get it figured out. ;)

If you get good line of sight outside the car and range issues working, go with a suction cup roof top mount for antenna array and get some longer cabling? I have seen that work for quite a few car cabin jockeys :) Just be advised that your set up is seriously focus output to the front and needs "Steered" directly at drone or there about.

I did see Roof top mounting and that is valid but if the Antenna is so fragile that it has to be pointed directly than its not going to be a good option unless I am just staying in one direction. I have written to the Alien Tribe and waiting for a Response but we are in Chinenesy new year which lasts a century . lol

Despite the Chinese Holiday , the Alien Tribe is reviewing my video

One mistake i would have made when the drone disconnected was to scramble to restart the Smart controller as fast as it can. I would have not considered just pressing the return to home button. I just now realize I panic allot and need to relax , and just not freeze but I do not understand why it worked ?

Sage

One mistake i would have made when the drone disconnected was to scramble to restart the Smart controller as fast as it can. I would have not considered just pressing the return to home button. I just now realize I panic allot and need to relax , and just not freeze but I do not understand why it worked ?

Sage
Good to hear from you Sage ,

So it was not the DJI app or drone that was failing it was the Alien signal not getting thru to the drone.
Pressing the RTH it got the signal thru to the drone past the Alien Antennas maybe on a different transmission signal.
There are times when the best thing to do is restart the controller but RTH is my go to first.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain / Snow

Good to hear from you Sage ,

So it was not the DJI app or drone that was failing it was the Alien signal not getting thru to the drone.
Pressing the RTH it got the signal thru to the drone past the Alien Antennas maybe on a different transmission signal.
There are times when the best thing to do is restart the controller but RTH is my go to first.

Phantomrain.org
So I'm having the same exact issues with mine, stock MA2, stock RC, new iPad mini 5. It never did this till the other day AFTER I updated the Fly app to 1.2.5 and updated the firmware on the bird! It happens to me on a clear day standing out behind the house where I've flown countless times without problems. It happens in the exact place I've flown before without problems, its out maybe 1000-1200 feet and if I try to get low to the ground to fly into the woods like I do I get that same exact warning... raise my altitude and it goes away... food for thought.

Yes raising alt will get you a signal , but I am use to going out over the Lake with a 5 ft alt and 1200 to 1500 ft out without any issues from inside the car.

I was completely taken off guard with this Alien Booster Antenna , I hoping to get an Email back from them explaining why it went so wrong, Now with you said about the Update that is the food for thought as I did not consider that as a possible part of the Equation until now, Thank you.

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: A.O.
Yes raising alt will get you a signal , but I am use to going out over the Lake with a 5 ft alt and 1200 to 1500 ft out without any issues from inside the car.

I was completely taken off guard with this Alien Booster Antenna , I hoping to get an Email back from them explaining why it went so wrong, Now with you said about the Update that is the food for thought as I did not consider that as a possible part of the Equation until now, Thank you.

Phantomrain.org
Yes it just seemed to fit in to what was going on with what you were experiencing

I am open to any Non Obvious ideas as to WT> Pete happened out there that night..

I realize I had some expectations that were a little over the top , it should be noted that the Unit was tested to 12000 ft before being sent back to me so I am fairly certain the install is a good one.

I dont think the Rain had anything to do with how the Drone was reacting
and when you compare it to my other Car Videos with the SC this makes no sense.

None the less this is DJI working at its Finest.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain / Snow land on Water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear
Sorry to see the Alien dropped the ball but you had a good attitude about it and better yet the commentary was great. :) I had a good chuckle on how you spoke to your drone. I'm sure many (if not, all) of us, take the same paternalistic attitude about our drones. Hopefully ,you'll figure out the mystery of the Alien Dual controller and get back to us. Good Luck and HFTA!

Sorry to see the Alien dropped the ball but you had a good attitude about it and better yet the commentary was great. :) I had a good chuckle on how you spoke to your drone. I'm sure many (if not, all) of us, take the same paternalistic attitude about our drones. Hopefully ,you'll figure out the mystery of the Alien Dual controller and get back to us. Good Luck and HFTA!
UPDATE : Some Alien Goodness :) with Alien Dual 2 Booster

Screenshot 02-13-2021 05.16.19.jpg

Changed the Transmission Setting on the Smart Controller and had a completely new Experience.

3000 ft out at 20 ft above the Penguin level on a frozen Tundra in the Black of Night over the Lake Erie .
Even Went sideways 2000 ft without issue , now were talking.

Kept the Alien Booster inside the Steering wheel with the Antenna blocked and had Fantastic Results this time.

Screenshot 02-12-2021 20.27.56.jpg

Screenshot 02-12-2021 20.49.41.jpg

Were always flying at Night in the Rain so will have to make a daylight video soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Snow and land on Water.

Last edited:
Great news, glad to see you have returned to fulfill the expected enjoyment of the previous night. Now the question for me is, which controller is considered best to buy (for MA2) the CrystalSky or Alien Dual II? Not including the DJI controller since it's considerably more expensive and with an assumed range better?
HFTA

Thats better, knew you'd get there in the end, i would never have thought
of changing the transmission setting. ?? The commentary of you talking to
the drone on the first night was priceless ?

• Haha
Great news, glad to see you have returned to fulfill the expected enjoyment of the previous night. Now the question for me is, which controller is considered best to buy (for MA2) the CrystalSky or Alien Dual II? Not including the DJI controller since it's considerably more expensive and with an assumed range better?
HFTA

If its between the Crystal Sky and the Smart Controller , It would be the Smart Controller which has some Great Features:

Excellent transmission ability to fly from inside the car and I mean excellent.
Fly other drones with the same Smart Controller , Such as Mavic 2 / Air 2 and Phantom 4 Advanced
Connect to TV
Very Weather Proof - Considering all the Rain It went thru in the last 2 years , No water damage inside .
Nice bright screen .

I hope that is what you meant .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain / Snow

Last edited:
UPDATE : Some Alien Goodness :) with Alien Dual 2 Booster

View attachment 123772

Changed the Transmission Setting on the Smart Controller and had a completely new Experience.

3000 ft out at 20 ft above the Penguin level on a frozen Tundra in the Black of Night over the Lake Erie .
Even Went sideways 2000 ft without issue , now were talking.

Kept the Alien Booster inside the Steering wheel with the Antenna blocked and had Fantastic Results this time.

View attachment 123771

View attachment 123740

Were always flying at Night in the Rain so will have to make a daylight video soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Snow and land on Water.
So what transmission setting did you change and from what to what?

So what transmission setting did you change and from what to what?

The Alien Team explained that I needed to change the HD to Smooth and to change the Signal to manual 5.8 , it was simple change but explosive at the same time as I doubt I will fully test the Range Capability of the drone now.

Keep me posted if that setting is a game changer for you in the woods.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Pouring Rain and Snow

Reactions: A.O.
The Alien Team explained that I needed to change the HD to Smooth and to change the Signal to manual 5.8 , it was simple change but explosive at the same time as I doubt I will fully test the Range Capability of the drone now.

Keep me posted if that setting is a game changer for you in the woods.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Pouring Rain and Snow
Will do, if it ever quits raining here... I know rain does not concern you but I'm still pretty new and haven't got there yet, I like sunny calm conditions!?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d