DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 panoramic top 1/3 missing.

Mavic-Max

Reactions
Morning folks. Any of you seen this before. The top third of my panoramic images is just a blur. Can’t figure out why.
1857045e746df35f756ca613bdb5a85d.jpg

That's because the camera's up-tilt angle is limited to something like 30 deg so that part of the sky cannot be captured.

That's because the camera's up-tilt angle is limited to something like 30 deg so that part of the sky cannot be captured.
Actually, it's only 13° when shooting the Auto Pano, so the camera does a crude content aware fill of the ceiling that is necessary for a full 180°. You'll get more with a manually shot spherical pano, but you'll have to still clone in a ceiling on your own, and do a better job than DJI does.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Morning folks. Any of you seen this before. The top third of my panoramic images is just a blur. Can’t figure out why.
Don't shoot blue skies with clouds. Either all blue skies or all overcast, but blue skies with lot of puffy clouds won't work well, because of the content aware fill used to stitch in the ceiling of the 360x180 pano outside the field of view at 13° up. To preview the 360° pano field of view, tilt up 13°, instead of the maximum of 30°. Make sure any building tops and tree tops are fully visible at 13° up from horizontal, or they will be smudged, too! Make sure to have a clear unobstructed top of the field of view at 13° up, because anything on the edge at the top of that field of view will get smudged, whether clouds or buildings or trees.

Last edited:
Were you low on the battery it almost looks like to me that it did not finish processing. I dont have that in my pictures with the Pano so the tilt should not be the issue.

I see that a lot I mine.

Don't shoot blue skies with clouds. Either all blue skies or all overcast, but blue skies with lot of puffy clouds won't work well, because of the content aware fill used to stitch in the ceiling of the 360x180 pano outside the field of view at 13° up. To preview the 360° pano field of view, tilt up 13°, instead of the maximum of 30°. Make sure any building tops and tree tops are fully visible at 13° up from horizontal, or they will be smudged, too! Make sure to have a clear unobstructed top of the field of view at 13° up, because anything on the edge at the top of that field of view will get smudged, whether clouds or buildings or trees.

That part is supposed to be just cropped if the photo is to be viewed in this way.

View the 360 panos in a 360 viewer (what they were meant for). You will only see the drone create sky when "looking up" and it won't be a problem. Or, as noted, clone your own....

View the 360 panos in a 360 viewer (what they were meant for). You will only see the drone create sky when "looking up" and it won't be a problem. Or, as noted, clone your own....

Thanks for the info. Can you recommend a 360 viewer.

Actually, it's only 13° when shooting the Auto Pano, so the camera does a crude content aware fill of the ceiling that is necessary for a full 180°. You'll get more with a manually shot spherical pano, but you'll have to still clone in a ceiling on your own, and do a better job than DJI does.

Thanks for the info. Also the images don’t line up correctly. Is there a setting that works better at aligning up each image. See Image.
IMG_9136.JPG

You can use Google Photos or Facebook for a 360 viewer, but the easiest thing is SkyPixel, since it is DJI. There are also a number of browser plugins that should be easy as well.

As far as the photos not lining up, that does happen with the Drone stitched photos sometimes --its stitching is not perfect, particularly if the drone moves a little. If you also keep the jpg or dng files, (you need to select this or they aren't saved by default) you can stitch the individual photos yourself in a number of software packages. Microsoft ICE is free and does a better job than the drone. If you stitch yourself, and keep it flat (like you posted here) it is fine. If you want to make it a real 360 pano, you'll need to expand the image and create your own sky.

You can use Google Photos or Facebook for a 360 viewer, but the easiest thing is SkyPixel, since it is DJI. There are also a number of browser plugins that should be easy as well.

As far as the photos not lining up, that does happen with the Drone stitched photos sometimes --its stitching is not perfect, particularly if the drone moves a little. If you also keep the jpg or dng files, (you need to select this or they aren't saved by default) you can stitch the individual photos yourself in a number of software packages. Microsoft ICE is free and does a better job than the drone. If you stitch yourself, and keep it flat (like you posted here) it is fine. If you want to make it a real 360 pano, you'll need to expand the image and create your own sky.

Thanks for info. So much to learn

Thanks for the info. Also the images don’t line up correctly. Is there a setting that works better at aligning up each image. See Image.
View attachment 108155

I got bad stitching in the pano straight out of my M2P occasionally. Microsoft ICE is better and is FREE. Left is the crop of pano produced by the drone, right is that by ICE . There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube on how to use ICE :

1595106471344.png

Reactions: GadgetGuy
View attachment 108155
If you keep reshooting it, it will likely eventually get it right when there are clear lines like in your example. Otherwise, save the originals (jpg is fine) and stitch on a computer in a 3rd party stitching program for best results.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty