DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 S went nuts on second flight.

Last post... I promise... here are pics of fore and aft sensors on "Lucky" (2S) and "Jackpot" (M2P)

M2P after down... should have read M2P Aft down... thanks auto correct.

Something definitely different in 2S down sensors... trouble ticket submitted to DJI today.. nonresponse yet.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• 2S fore down sensor.jpg
    2S fore down sensor.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 28
  • M2P fore down sensor.jpg
    M2P fore down sensor.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 2S aft down sensor.jpg
    2S aft down sensor.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 24
  • M2P after down sensor.jpg
    M2P after down sensor.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 28
Definitely something wrong with those sensors. I just checked my brand new 2s and my sensors do not look like that at all. Hopefully DJI will take care of this for you.

Definitely something wrong with those sensors. I just checked my brand new 2s and my sensors do not look like that at all. Hopefully DJI will take care of this for you.
Thanks, glad to get confirmation... I did an online support yesterday... so far haven't heard anything... not even an acknowledgement... is there a better way to report problems to DJI?

Joe

Thanks, glad to get confirmation... I did an online support yesterday... so far haven't heard anything... not even an acknowledgement... is there a better way to report problems to DJI?

Joe
Maybe try giving them a call at +1 (818) 235 0789. They're available M-F, 7am - 5pm PST. I'm sure you have but did you check your spam folder?

I had something similar happen to me yesterday: hovering at a higher altitude with no obstructions below, I pushed down the left stick to descend and land, but it refused to go down! Keeping the stick down, and it won't move at all! So I switched to Sports Mode, and then it went down as normal. Switched back to Normal Mode, and again it wouldn't descend! So back to Sports Mode, and I was able to land it safely. Seems some sort of problem with the downward sensor being fouled, as they are disabled in Sports Mode. This didn't happen in previous flights, apparently it's an intermittent problem.

Yes it looks that way in pic... but what you are seeing is a small rubber band (o-ring?) That forms the circle in the left side of the sensor. The lense of the sensor appears to be OK... but is partially blocked by the right edge of the circular band like object between the sensor lens and the protective glass cover. I believe it to be a small O-ring that is there to prevent water migration into the sensor... perhaps they were dislodged in shipping from China?

Joe
I don't have any useful info to help, but wanted to say; "Thanks for sharing the problem". It help keep other users aware of potential problems.

Reactions: MMPerrish
DJI sent me UPS tags for transport to California for repairs. The next day DJI advised they had received my 2S and it would be evaluated. A day later they advised that it was a free repair... and they were replacing the lower cover of the A2S. Today I got Email from DJI advising repair complete... and I should receive the repaired A2S in a few days.

Hopefully it will be working great... I will advise once I have received and tested the repaired A2S and we can close the thread.

Conclusion: "Lucky" Flies again (Incarnate)

I received my "Repaired" 2S today, but it wasn't "Lucky" it was an imposter! Apparently, because it involved the sensors, and thus was a "Safety" issue, they replaced my A2S. Please understand, I'm not complaining at all.
I updated my Smart Controller to latest version, and put the props back on, re-labled it with FAA numbers and my name and phone, On the body of the new unit (had all the stickers on the arms and gimbal, they had taped my memory card, and ND filter that I forgot to take off (oops).

They replaced my battery, because there was a small ding (cosmetic) in the battery shell.

I took it out side, it was just around sunset, I got some velcro and put my lume cube on... and took off straight up
and took a few shots of the Las Vegas Strip their was enough light so I could get a good crisp shot without any graininess.

The old A2S, with the partially obstructed sensor, was very "Jerky" when taking off, not having a A2S before, I thought well, I guess I can't expect it to be as smooth as my M2P. But it is... man, this thing flies like a dream! Before, I had to be very careful on takeoffs and landings to not have it drift toward objects... This baby is rock sold, I took off from the center of my landing pad... waited until the home point updated, and went straight up 250 feet... took my pictures, then "looked around in a circle got some video of cars driving down the road by my house, and then landed the craft without using RTH... and it came down right dead center on the landing pad.

My conclusions are:

1. I think the A2S actually flies smoother than my M2P.
2. The customer service from DJI was OUTSTANDING!
I sent it off with their call tag, UPS on the 21st.
They received it on the 22nd in California (I'm in Nevada)
They Identified the problem on the 23rd.
"Repaired" it (Replaced) on the 24th, and shipped it.
Received at my door on the 25th.

3. They gave me a new battery, the old one only had 1 flight on it.
4. The new Bird "Lucky 2" arrived well packed, with all the things (Card and filter) taped on it.

So Welcome "Back" to the fleet Lucky, who joins "Tony the Ant" (Mini 2) and "Jackpot" M2P.

This Concludes this thread. Thanks to all who replied, I learned a bunch of things about flight data that I didn't know before.

This is truly a great group of Drone Enthusiasts.

All the best from Las Vegas,

Joe Sands

Attachments

• Vegas Strip A2S.jpg
    Vegas Strip A2S.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
…then landed the craft without using RTH... and it came down right dead center on the landing pad.

Without using RTH the aircraft would have landed exactly where you put it. That’s not the aircraft, that’s piloting skills.

Glad DJI got this resolved so quickly and you’re back flying again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom