DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S 5.4K video playback problems

Wow, same issue here. I only have one out the box, W10 player, that can play my hi bitrate Air 2s videos dead smooth. That is the built in Movies and TV app with the free, now .99 cent, HEVC codec. I can no longer use my old standbys mpc-hc64 or newest version VLC, all set to hardware decode, that do not have random jumps is playback.

Yesterday I tried Pot player that crashed not matter what I tried, searching the net shows I'm not alone.

My PC is Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, 16G ram, RTX 2060 super.
For VLC it seems contradictory, but the situation varies since users have different systems and hardware environment. Toggle GPU acceleration on or off? Enabling GPU acceleration works for some users and disabling it works for others.

For VLC it seems contradictory, but the situation varies since users have different systems and hardware environment. Toggle GPU acceleration on or off? Enabling GPU acceleration works for some users and disabling it works for others.
Thanks but nothing but grey screens with my 3600x. It seems that anything above 91 kbps I have to switch to Movies & TV. Wish I had a newer Mac just to check for same issues, but moving my clips to older back intel machine to recheck tomorrow.

• Sad
Reactions: Tufargon
Thanks but nothing but grey screens with my 3600x. It seems that anything above 91 kbps I have to switch to Movies & TV. Wish I had a newer Mac just to check for same issues, but moving my clips to older back intel machine to recheck tomorrow.
Anything is worth a try right?

Anything is worth a try right?
Lol, my old Intel i5 460 and GTX970 BD server was a complete fail with hi-bitrate video. I knew that ;) Until I get to test other players, Movies & TV will do for smooth quick checks: after download off the Air 2s 128 Extreme v3 card using a usb 3.0 card reader. I used the VLC record function to snip my 2.7k 60fps clips. I need to do more checks, but they seem to play back fine on my 3600x desktop.

Reactions: Tufargon
Wow, same issue here. I only have one out the box, W10 player, that can play my hi bitrate Air 2s videos dead smooth. That is the built in Movies and TV app with the free, now .99 cent, HEVC codec. I can no longer use my old standbys mpc-hc64 or newest version VLC, all set to hardware decode, that do not have random jumps is playback.

Yesterday I tried Pot player that crashed not matter what I tried, searching the net shows I'm not alone.

My PC is Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, 16G ram, RTX 2060 super.
im on latest vlc no issues at all,,,,,what hard drives ? ssd ,m.2/nvme or old hdd ?

im on latest vlc no issues at all,,,,,what hard drives ? ssd ,m.2/nvme or old hdd ?
970 pro nvme Asrock MB. I can only use Movies and TV app to play theses clips dead smooth : Video: HVC1 3840x2160 59.94fps 152609kbps [V: English [eng] (hevc main L5.1, yuv420p, 3840x2160, 152609 kb/s)]

Anything else gives me micro stutter randomly thru clips. Your using Air 2s as well? Thx

970 pro nvme Asrock MB. I can only use Movies and TV app to play theses clips dead smooth : Video: HVC1 3840x2160 59.94fps 152609kbps [V: English [eng] (hevc main L5.1, yuv420p, 3840x2160, 152609 kb/s)]

Anything else gives me micro stutter randomly thru clips. Your using Air 2s as well? Thx
mmm could be driver issues ..i know AMD are a bit of a pain with drivers,something not right though.

mmm could be driver issues ..i know AMD are a bit of a pain with drivers,something not right though.
Sorry, missed your specs. Yeah, If you and others have no issue with VLC, I can only wonder what the Movies & TV app did right, AMD drivers or not. I assume my RTX 2060S drivers are great? At any rate I will be shooting 5.4 in photo mode to compliment my DSLR 24MP stuff. Without having to dink with ND filters, for now, I like the 60fps clips the Air 2s can produce. Cheers

An interesting read.

Having only ever had playback issues with the Air2S, only use micro sd v30 cards.

What ever settings twiddled with on VLC, made little difference to the play back problems when playing Air 2S files.
VLC plays all recordings at any setting from Mavic Pro 1, and Mini 2, but it won't play footage from the Air 2S .

Rendering said footage would allow VLC to play footage.

MPV player would play AIR 2s footage.

Windows media player, plays all footage from all 3 drones , regardless of settings. without problems,
So can only summarise the problem lies with VLC player.

PC spec , old but aging well , i7 4790K , Sabertooth MB, 32GB , GTX980ti , NvMe .

Reactions: LayinLo
Unless you have a display that has the resolution necessary to view 5.4K natively, don't bother using that mode. To make it viewable more generally it has to be downconverted to 4K. In my experience, the quality of the resulting 4K video is not at all better than direct 4K recording yet difficult to process.

A little bit of arithmetic may help demonstrating the reasons why:
The A2S records 4K (24fps) video at 105Mb/s. It records 5.4K (24fps) at 125Mb/s. This is an increase of recording bitrate of about 19% however the amount of data to record increases by over 100%. Consequently the degree of video compression increases by about factor 5. This means that most of the extra fine detail that should be available in 5.4K is compressed down/out.

You are writing here that the A2S records 5.4 at 125Mb/s... Just to be sure, you mean Mbps and not MB/s, right? Because elsewhere I see that A2S writes at a maximum of 150Mbps, which should equal 18.75 MB/s.

I'm asking because I encountered the same problem as other people in this thread and I want to exclude that I'm using an improper SD card. I just checked my SD card and it's a SAMSUNG PRO PLUS MICROSD CARD 128GB with read speeds up to 160 MB/s and write speeds up to 120 MB/s, which I think should be sufficient in order to record at 5.4. Is this correct?

Last edited:
That GPU will never play 5K smoothly, it's too old even for true 4K HDR 60FPS (10 bit) content.

I have the same problem. Micro stutter on VLC and fine with Movies and TV. Air2s 4k files.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
ASRock X570 PG MB
AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT 16GB GPU
32GB Ram
SanDisk Extreme Plus V30 SD

Have updated codec and drivers, problem still exists.

So, bought a new media computer, Intel Celeron N5095 mini cube T8 from Amazon $135. Wow, 4k and Air 2s video now smooth using VLC or MPC-HC. This ain’t the old Celeron of past. Oh the irony, Movies and TV refuses to play without the licensed HEVC codec from M$! Old intel 4460s now in garage.

My Ryzen based machines with Nvidia GPU’s must use the $1 HEVC codec from M$ for best playback using the Movies and TV junk. That codec corrupts playback from both VLC and old favorite, MPC-HC. Oddly the Intel HD audio codec’s work with old Denon 988 Receiver for audio pass-thru where the Ryzen HD codec will crash, but ok on newer receivers. I was blindsided by being told the GPU did the heavy video lifting along with built in codec. I’m looking hard now at Microsoft as my iPad plays same Air 2s just fine. Cheers

So, bought a new media computer, Intel Celeron N5095 mini cube T8 from Amazon $135. Wow, 4k and Air 2s video now smooth using VLC or MPC-HC. This ain’t the old Celeron of past. Oh the irony, Movies and TV refuses to play without the licensed HEVC codec from M$! Old intel 4460s now in garage.

My Ryzen based machines with Nvidia GPU’s must use the $1 HEVC codec from M$ for best playback using the Movies and TV junk. That codec corrupts playback from both VLC and old favorite, MPC-HC. Oddly the Intel HD audio codec’s work with old Denon 988 Receiver for audio pass-thru where the Ryzen HD codec will crash, but ok on newer receivers. I was blindsided by being told the GPU did the heavy video lifting along with built in codec. I’m looking hard now at Microsoft as my iPad plays same Air 2s just fine. Cheers
Try this - Download K-Lite Codec Pack

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78