DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S battery taking 3+ hours to charge

1jaques

Reactions
Hi all,

I am a retailer of DJI drones, and I have a customer who states the first charge of his Air 2S batteries (not on charging hub - directly to charger) took 3+ hours for each to fully charge. Is this normal? The fact that all three batteries took approximately the same time, and assuming that is not a normal length of time for a first-time charge (I've certainly never experience it), then the problem would have to be either the charger, or the voltage / current going into the charger, right? Just looking for some insight into what could be causing this.

Thanks.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Good afternoon 1jaques,

I searched the forum for an answer but I could not find one. The most logical answer I could find suggested that (maybe) the wrong cables and charger was used. I have personally made this mistake plugging into a standard USB charger and it took forever (equaling 3+ hours).

The other issue I read seemed to be around the batteries hibernating and can't seem to wake up for a charge.

I really hope someone can offer some helpful solutions for you . . .

Reactions: 1jaques
I've experienced this in the past when a battery ends up too unbalanced after a flight. I guess it takes longer for the balancing phase of the charging cycle to complete and hence the delay.

It may point to a faulty battery, where one of its cells is of different capacity than the others.

I'd ask them to drain the batteries and try again, the manual states 1h 35min (page 7) but I am not sure if that's for a routine charge or the first charge.
I do however have the recollection of reading that with probably the Mavic Mini or Mavic 2 P/Z the first charge can take some time.
Alternatively could you ask them to drain them and bring them and the charger into the shop for you to try on your supply?

Last edited:
Appreciate the answers, everyone. This is a brand new unit, and all three batteries are taking a long time. Have confirmed it's on the correct charger.

I'm thinking it's a bad charger, a bad circuit in the house (not enough voltage / current) or that the second time they're charged all will be fine.

Thanks again for quick and thoughtful replies.

If this were an EV (car), I would tell someone to try a different "charger" and/or location. Once you isolate/try one or the other, I suspect you will find the answer. Hint: I don't think all 3 batteries could be bad.

Reactions: MS Coast
If this were an EV (car), I would tell someone to try a different "charger" and/or location. Once you isolate/try one or the other, I suspect you will find the answer. Hint: I don't think all 3 batteries could be bad.
I totally agree. It can't be the batteries. It has to be the charger or the power entering the charger. Or - the batteries are fine and just a long time on the first charge. Thanks for the reply.

wrong cable , had the same experience

Appreciate the answers, everyone. This is a brand new unit, and all three batteries are taking a long time. Have confirmed it's on the correct charger.

I'm thinking it's a bad charger, a bad circuit in the house (not enough voltage / current) or that the second time they're charged all will be fine.

Thanks again for quick and thoughtful replies.
You can discard a mains voltage issue here, since we're dealing with a switching power supply. It'll work on a wide range of voltages, or not work at all due to under/overvoltage.

I've experienced this in the past when a battery ends up too unbalanced after a flight. I guess it takes longer for the balancing phase of the charging cycle to complete and hence the delay.

It may point to a faulty battery, where one of its cells is of different capacity than the others.

I read where they said all 3 batteries were at the same charge time. I doubt it's the batteries, but I'm not an expert so I won't be offering any opinions.

Did you try charging all three on the strip at the same time? If I remember correctly, the first charge on the new batteries MUST be done individually on the single cable, not the multi charger strip to correctly wake them up and charge properly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent