DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s for residential photography for Estate agents

Chapperz

Reactions
Hi all

I know it's a bit close to the wind but, do you think I could get away with using a air 2s to do residential work for say estate agents and property/roof inspections?

I know with the 50m limit it'd be pushing it a bit but???

Thanks

Regards

Hi all

I know it's a bit close to the wind but, do you think I could get away with using a air 2s to do residential work for say estate agents and property/roof inspections?

I know with the 50m limit it'd be pushing it a bit but???

Thanks

Regards
I've never had the 50m limit unless I was in beginner mode or accidentally logged out of my DJI account, but I have heard others that have had that. I think DJI fixed that issue with the latest DJI Fly app.

I've never had the 50m limit unless I was in beginner mode or accidentally logged out of my DJI account, but I have heard others that have had that. I think DJI fixed that issue with the latest DJI Fly app.
In the UK, with a drone between 500g and 2kg you're not allowed to be within 50m of people. Anything in the air series fits that bill... Here's my dilemma. I want to sell prints so want ideally 20mp and above but I also want to be able to use it in residential places for property photography etc.

I'm just wondering if anybody is using a air 2s or the likes for residential stuff and how they're finding it it.

Might just have to buy two drones. Which one do I start with though?

In the UK, with a drone between 500g and 2kg you're not allowed to be within 50m of people. Anything in the air series fits that bill... Here's my dilemma. I want to sell prints so want ideally 20mp and above but I also want to be able to use it in residential places for property photography etc.

I'm just wondering if anybody is using a air 2s or the likes for residential stuff and how they're finding it it.

Might just have to buy two drones. Which one do I start with though?
Ah... thought you were talking about that bug in dji fly that wouldn't allow anything past 50m in flight.

I think you can also get quality prints out of a mini 3 using some kind of upscale method in Lightroom or Photoshop. I use Gigapixel by topaz to increase resolution in the files.

Ah... thought you were talking about that bug in dji fly that wouldn't allow anything past 50m in flight.

I think you can also get quality prints out of a mini 3 using some kind of upscale method in Lightroom or Photoshop. I use Gigapixel by topaz to increase resolution in the files.
Ahhhh nice... Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to have to just settle for A3 size prints for now...

I know I could probably get away with bigger but the prints I will be doing will be for people's homes so I'd like for people to be able to walk right up close and still have the sharpness and detail..

I'm probably expecting way too much for my money. Funny thing is I always loved photography and would have loved to have a a go a long time ago but the price of entry was so high that I just didn't dare to dream.

Maybe that should be dji's tag line

DJI
Dare to Dream lol

Ahhhh nice... Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to have to just settle for A3 size prints for now...

I know I could probably get away with bigger but the prints I will be doing will be for people's homes so I'd like for people to be able to walk right up close and still have the sharpness and detail..

I'm probably expecting way too much for my money. Funny thing is I always loved photography and would have loved to have a a go a long time ago but the price of entry was so high that I just didn't dare to dream.

Maybe that should be dji's tag line

DJI
Dare to Dream lol
Funny thing... I used to print 11x19s from my nikon d700 12mp camera. But!!! that was a FX sensor. Now with my nikon z6ii I still print 11X19 prints. image quality is a lot better... but I think it has to do more with lens quality than anything else.
When people say they can't tell the difference between cell phone and professional camera pics.. I can prove that wrong, but it depends on what source they are viewing it from. Facebook, instagram, YouTube, any online photo site, or from a printer used for gallery wall prints.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Air 2s and my advise to you is too get a mini or both the 2s is a great drone but you will always be running into this problem from situation to situation best to have the little drone handy.

Reactions: Solsearcher
The standard for high quality print images is 300 ppl (pixels per inch) In the print. For close viewing in a home, 360 ppi is arguably better. You can get results at lower resolutions which are acceptable for some uses. Judging this on a computer screen doesn’t work, as computer screens have a resolution generally of less than 100 ppi.

The pixel dimensions of the sensor are used to calculate this. Assesments on YouTube are largely irrelevant as they reencode whatever you upload to a lower quality standard to facilitate streaming.

The standard for high quality print images is 300 ppl (pixels per inch) In the print. For close viewing in a home, 360 ppi is arguably better. You can get results at lower resolutions which are acceptable for some uses. Judging this on a computer screen doesn’t work, as computer screens have a resolution generally of less than 100 ppi.

The pixel dimensions of the sensor are used to calculate this. Assesments on YouTube are largely irrelevant as they reencode whatever you upload to a lower quality standard to facilitate streaming.
Would 12mp not be good enough for a A3 print then?

Would 12mp not be good enough for a A3 print then?
Depends on what you mean by good enough.
For years I used professionally a Nikon D3S (12 MP) and was happy with the image quality. Then Nikon lent me a D3X (24 MP) and I did some thorough tests in real life situations, not brick walls or Siemens star charts. I printed some photos in A3 size, all shot with the same high quality lens. I showed the photos to several people, both photographers and non-photographers. Everybody saw a big difference - more detail in general, better shadow details, and a feeling of depth in the photo, almost three-dimensional compared to the 12 MP photo which had a flat digital look.
I bought the D3X immediately.

So yes, 12 MP is good enough for A3 print for the majority of people. But higher resolution is better, and the difference is clearly visible when you compare them directly.

Depends a little on the sensor dimensions. Doing the math a 12 mp sensor is often 4000 vx 3000
That gives a a 242 ppt horizontally, which is 81% of the desired spec, and 351 psi vertically which is more than the target spec.

For the gallery shows I have done, that are viewed from 18" to 24 inches from the viewer, this isn't enough resolution. I prefer a DPI, or PPI off 360, based on these experiences. It also corresponds to the range of eyer solutions present in a large sample of eyes. Some eyes have higher resolution than others.

In the end, you will need to decide what standards are acceptable for you.

Attachments

• 1689349103276.png
    1689349103276.png
    176 KB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne