DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s night safety for four-way obstacle avoidance detection

snapdog

Reactions
Site
www.snapdog.com
When flying at night I feel the Air 2s four-way obstacle avoidance detection may not be effective. What do you consider in your experience is the best settings for four-way obstacle avoidance detection system at night? On? Off? Other? Thanks!

When flying at night I feel the Air 2s four-way obstacle avoidance detection may not be effective. What do you consider in your experience is the best settings for four-way obstacle avoidance detection system at night? On? Off? Other? Thanks!
I'm pretty sure obstacle avoidance doesn't work at night. I personally just turn it off.

BSauce955 is correct. The Obstacle avoidance system doesn't work at night. The drone is supposed to warn you of this when the light is too low for the obstacle system to work. I'm suprised you never notied.

BSauce955 is correct. The Obstacle avoidance system doesn't work at night. The drone is supposed to warn you of this when the light is too low for the obstacle system to work. I'm suprised you never notied.
I gotta say. You've joined later than I did and have like 5 times as many messages as I have. lol. I need to start saying more...

• Haha
Reactions: monteolsen1
Thanks. Yes, I saw the warnings, and yes I know what they mean. Been flying for about ten years, and just started flying at night now that it's legal for FAA Part 107 certified pilots. I had an issue landing which prompted the question. I forgot to turn off the four-way obstacle avoidance detection system, and realized it was not letting me land where I chose. Finally got it down safely. Just wanted to see what others had experienced. Be safe out there :)

Thanks. Yes, I saw the warnings, and yes I know what they mean. Been flying for about ten years, and just started flying at night now that it's legal for FAA Part 107 certified pilots. I had an issue landing which prompted the question. I forgot to turn off the four-way obstacle avoidance detection system, and realized it was not letting me land where I chose. Finally got it down safely. Just wanted to see what others had experienced. Be safe out there :)
I fly at dark and do get the light / OA warning; but never had an issue when landing. Not sure what you mean it does not land "where" I want it to. I fly mine straight overhead and full down stick and it lands fine. Maybe toggle the landing light to come on at 40-50 ft versus the approx 10-20 ft above ground in auto. Some light is better than none.

Reactions: snapdog
I fly at dark and do get the light / OA warning; but never had an issue when landing. Not sure what you mean it does not land "where" I want it to. I fly mine straight overhead and full down stick and it lands fine. Maybe toggle the landing light to come on at 40-50 ft versus the approx 10-20 ft above ground in auto. Some light is better than none.
Thanks for your answer. Yes, the issue I had was it wouldn't land where I wanted it to land and kept trying to crash into a wall. I think the obstacle avoidance detection system may have woke up. I think I just need to be sure to shut it is off at night.

Even though it says the obstacle system doesn't work in low light. It sometimes does. So if your landing in a closed space with objects around it, the drone may still detect them. I've had to turn my obstacle avoidance off at night a few times, just to get over my landing spot, which was to close to a wall. The obstacle sensors noticed the wall and wouldn't let me get close enough.

I notice my Air 2S will drift around more when hovering at night as well but other than that I’ve never had any real issues. While I keep the avoidance systems on just in case I do put up with the warnings to keep them active. But when flying at night I look for an even more open space to land and fly even further clear of any obstacles I can see with my own two eyes. Also more emphasis on VLOS flight only and I would never fly without VLOS especially at night.

Mine gave a "Vision Sensors Blocked, Fly with caution" alert a couple times when it was up in the air. I thought it was the laser army who are notorious in my area for shining laser lights onto manned aircrafts

Even though it says the obstacle system doesn't work in low light. It sometimes does. So if your landing in a closed space with objects around it, the drone may still detect them. I've had to turn my obstacle avoidance off at night a few times, just to get over my landing spot, which was to close to a wall. The obstacle sensors noticed the wall and wouldn't let me get close enough.

I've had several situations with my Air 2S when landing where the obstacle sensors kept me from getting close to objects, like me or the car. One solution is to rotate the drone 90 degrees so the front and rear sensors aren't seeing the obstacle and then crab sideways.

It's quicker and simpler than switching the sensors off.

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO