DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S RC crapped out

Trumpetturner

Reactions
I was flying a photo shoot of tornado damage yesterday. The drone was about 1/4 mile from me when the radio controller went totally dead. The message said "RC not connected to your mobile device. The RC was totally dead after that. I unplugged the RC from the phone, tried to turn off the RC but it wasn't responding. Turned the phone off and then back on, but nothing. So, I'm standing there wondering how I'm going to get the drone back home, and in a few seconds I can hear it getting closer, and it lands right on the home point!!! Thank the LORD!!!! I've put the RC on the charger and there is no response. So, what do I do now. I purchased the bundle when Amazon had a sale last September. Obviously I could by a new RC, but any other suggestions are welcomed.

A 100% win for RTH. A brilliant built-in function for sure.

I'm a bit uncertain whether you are referring to the RC-N1 controller or the DJI RC controller, but for future peace of mind, might I suggest you find a cheap-ish second hand RC-N1, keep it charged and pack it with your day gear as a failsafe.

This is something I do with my own drones JICOE (Just In Case Of Emergency). That way, at least there's another controller to hand to keep you in the game on the day.

Have you still got a copy of the transaction with Amazon? By my reckoning, you've still got two months before your 12 month warranty is void - raise the issue with the vendor. Normally Amazon is pretty good dealing with customer problems. Failing that, open a customer services ticket with DJI before your 12 month Grace period is up.

The failure may be due to something simple to rectify like a faulty battery pack, or one of the boards having faulty components (not so simple), but the fact it's less than 12 months old would dictate that the vendor takes one for the team on your behalf.

Best of luck for an acceptable resolution.

Last edited:
In the 5 years I have been flying thru storms I have never had a RC fail so that does not happen often.
My advice because the RC are so reliable is just get one off of Ebay if DJI does not offer you a Coupon code .

Phantomrain.,org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Your recounted event is an important testimonial for ensuring the home point is accurately set at take off. Well done.

Having a second controller available would help? How can you link the emergency controller to the drone in the air? I’ve been under the impression that if the controller in hand dies only RTH saves the day. If I’m wrong great to know.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Having a second controller available would help? How can you link the emergency controller to the drone in the air? I’ve been under the impression that if the controller in hand dies only RTH saves the day. If I’m wrong great to know.
Certainly helps get the drone back in the air and flying after RTH brings your bird back to your feet.

Apart from that: with my Mavic 2's, the 2nd remote can be used as a secondary RC that initially controls the camera while the primary manoeuvres the drone, but when stick input from the primary ceases: the secondary takes over stick function as well.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Open a ticket with DJI Support, can almost guarantee a seamless no-cost replacement. They supply shipping labels and in less than 2 weeks a new remote arrives at the door. Even when out of warranty this is the way to go..fast and cheap.
As said, a backup RC-N1 is cheap insurance just in case. I keep spares rc's for my Mavics and Phantoms, occasionally the sticks or batteries get wonky at the worst times.

Last edited:
I have the DJI RC that I use with my 2S, as well as the original RC-N1 that came with it. Can I have both bound to the 2S at eh same time? Not using both at the same time of course, but if I go to a site that I know I may have signal issues, could I use the RC-N1 but still have the RC "bound" to it? Hope that made sense...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellmorrissey