DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S vs M2P vs M3 -- Trying to choose the ideal option.

Maybe I am being stupid but I see nothing DJI related in that other than stuff saying it was never a contender for any contract and nothing discussing renders. Anyhow this is off topic so best leave it at that.

I was looking to get reactions like ‘the mavic design is already perfect’ in the same way that most people here are claiming above horizon shooting is not needed, weight dictates wind resistance and other similar general ‘knowledge’ (consensus).

Although I have to admit i fully expected mavic 3 to have this design.

It’s going to be really awkward once the mavic 4 comes around next year with regards to buyers remorse. For mini 2, air series and mavic series the gimbal is literally in the wrong position. mini 3 will be the first one to show this

For that use case... how about a Mavic 2 Zoom? (Just to complicate matters a bit more...)
Furthermore, money no object and in case you are going to get all the certification and trainings done anyway, latest is almost always greatest, trusting that all the teething problems of the M3 will be worked out within a couple of months.

So to get back on track,
For that use case... how about a Mavic 2 Zoom? (Just to complicate matters a bit more...)
Furthermore, money no object and in case you are going to get all the certification and trainings done anyway, latest is almost always greatest, trusting that all the teething problems of the M3 will be worked out within a couple of months.
I was originally looking at the Zoom vs M2P, and I was leaning more towards the M2P due to image quality. But I can see how the Zoom would have its inherent strengths as well.

At this point I am still leaning between the A2S or the M2P. I am thinking at this point I am in the death by over analysis stage haha...

Back on topic, for commercial use I can't see the point of 'something' and an M3. I suspect two drones of the same model would be a safer bet, it would mean you do not have to carry two sets of batteries and props if nothing else.
If you want different cameras a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom would offer the use of the same batteries, props and controllers and even allow for a pilot and separate cameraman, or at least that's the common reasoning given. I have not personally checked that they can simultaneously accept a pilot giving flight commands via one controller whilst the cameraman simultaneously commands the camera via the second controller. The M2P & M2Z have the same bodies but are fitted with differing cameras.
It may also be advantageous to have a swivelable camera, the M2P/Z do but I do not know about the other two.

Reactions: idave
Back on topic, for commercial use I can't see the point is of something and an M3. I suspect two drones of the same model would be a safer bet, meaning you do not have to carry two sets of batteries and props if nothing else.
If you want different cameras a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom would offer the use of the same batteries, props and controllers and even allow for a pilot and separate camera controller, or at least that's the common reasoning given. I have not personally checked that they can simultaneously accept a pilot giving flight commands via one controller whilst the cameraman simultaneously commands the camera via the second controller. The M2P & M2Z have the same bodies but are fitted with differing cameras.
It may also be advantageous to have a swivelable camera, the M2P/Z do but I do not know about the other two.
As for the first part, I would be getting one of the drones not 2 different types.

I didn't think about the camera on a swivel, that is 100% a huge asset that I had not seen mentioned where I was reading about these drones. And like you I am intrigued about the multiple operators, for camera + drone. I have a friend with an M2P that I can speak with to see if he can try it out. Unfortunately he is not on the same continent, so I won't be able to test it with him personally.

You might like to have a look at
I think you can safely ignore the first 2:45 sec of update etc. stuff, but it looks as if the rest is useful, though I only skimmed it, opening expressions such as I see put me right off.

Last edited:
As the title states, I am looking for the correct outfit for my next drone.

I am concerned about many of the reviews I have seen about the M3. Mainly software and features. I understand there was an update in January, but I have not seen many reviews post update.

I know the M2P is still an amazing work horse, but looking at the specs of the Air 2S I am almost leaning towards this over the M2P.

Can anyone break it down for who has used all 3?

Money isn't an issue as it will be purchased through my business as part of our expenditures for this financial year. But only 1 drone will be purchased, with remainder being used for digital SLR upgrades/accessories.
Tough call. YouTube has many videos explaining pro's and con's of each of those drones.
Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan