DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S vs. Mavic Air 2 - What’s the Difference?

@dronekilleremir
Thank you so much for the overview. I literally JUST bought my Air2 FMC, "just" as this past Friday. Spent the evening watching videos on how to fly, setup, etc., then was practicing flying on Saturday... I'm a newbie and the recreational user. Mostly will be shooting videos on vacations. I wish I discovered this forum earlier, and knew that A2s was coming out. I decided on buying DJI drone only last week. However, at this point, since already have MA2, I'm not sure if I want to exchange it for A2s. With your throughout overview, I don't think I can justify spending extra money, especially as some users here said, the FMC price is $100 more for, pretty much, the exact same kit, on a top of the $200. I haven't even tried all the functions, or zoom to see if I'm ok with it. Honestly, I did not even know MA2 has a zoom ?‍♀️ yes, I'm the kind of girl that buys car based on the color ?‍♀️ don't judge ;)
Well welcome to the forum. You won't be unhappy with the MA2 as your first drone so don't worry about having pulled the trigger at the wrong time. The $300 you saved can go a long way towards accessories for your new found addiction and the drone will fly like a champ for a good long while. Maybe well past the release of the M3P or whatever it gets called whenever it comes out. And not for nothing but they're all shades of gray when it comes to Mavics now so no matter what you chose you'll have fun?

Well welcome to the forum. You won't be unhappy with the MA2 as your first drone so don't worry about having pulled the trigger at the wrong time. The $300 you saved can go a long way towards accessories for your new found addiction and the drone will fly like a champ for a good long while. Maybe well past the release of the M3P or whatever it gets called whenever it comes out. And not for nothing but they're all shades of gray when it comes to Mavics now so no matter what you chose you'll have fun?
Thank you :) I will post videos from my vacation in August! I have 5 months to practice.

Reactions: Droniac
I’m so tempted. MAV2Pro stops me to regain my composure and realize that I can’t buy everyone that comes out as long as what I’m using is already beyond my current talent. Which I feel is a lucid way of seeing this from my perspective. I’m literally thrilled the smart controller is cross compatible. Thanks for your take. Interesting observations. Thanks Godspeed. Now that I’ve said my peace I’m going to order 1. Lol.
Here's a tip: REFURBISHED Mavic 2 pro or zoom. The Mavic 2 Pro refurb sells for $1279 currently and the zoom a couple hundred cheaper than that! DJI's refurbs are indistinguishable from "new". I know because that's the route I took. I made a package deal with an authorized dealer and saved almost $500 with a refurb and couldn't be happier.

The one thing that that M2P has is the ability to pan the camera. Does the zoom have that feature as well? Additionally, Litchi, DroneVR and other apps already support the Mavic 2. The SDK won't be out for the Air2s for some time I imagine.

I'm looking for something to upgrade from my Mini 2. I was looking at the m2 pro but only because it would be allowed to be used on drone base is there any information to suggest that this drone would be useable on drone base missions.

The one thing that that M2P has is the ability to pan the camera. Does the zoom have that feature as well? Additionally, Litchi, DroneVR and other apps already support the Mavic 2. The SDK won't be out for the Air2s for some time I imagine.
Yes, the M2Z, Air 2 and 2S can pan as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a refurb pro includes 3x batts, charging hub, more props, etc, like the Air 2S FMC for $1299.
Then there's Occusync 3, greater flight range, and future Goggles V2 support and 8.5x digital zoom.
Don't get me wrong I love the bigger, quieter birds, and will prob jump on the Mavic 3 like a good little consumer ;D

@dronekilleremir
Thank you so much for the overview. I literally JUST bought my Air2 FMC, "just" as this past Friday. Spent the evening watching videos on how to fly, setup, etc., then was practicing flying on Saturday... I'm a newbie and the recreational user. Mostly will be shooting videos on vacations. I wish I discovered this forum earlier, and knew that A2s was coming out. I decided on buying DJI drone only last week. However, at this point, since already have MA2, I'm not sure if I want to exchange it for A2s. With your throughout overview, I don't think I can justify spending extra money, especially as some users here said, the FMC price is $100 more for, pretty much, the exact same kit, on a top of the $200. I haven't even tried all the functions, or zoom to see if I'm ok with it. Honestly, I did not even know MA2 has a zoom ?‍♀️ yes, I'm the kind of girl that buys car based on the color ?‍♀️ don't judge ;)
So I just recently purchased the MA2 as well and only discovered the zoom this week (Bonus!!). It definitely helps when you are using active track.

Aside from the name change that is the norm in previous DJI product releases, the newly launched DJI Air 2SS has some significant changes both inside and out. But is it for you, and would it be worth your money to upgrade? Here’s what you can expect with the DJI Air 2S.

The DJI Air 2S has pretty much the same dimensions as its predecessors so some accessories may be compatible with each other. It’s slightly heavier at 600 grams, which is probably because of the 1-inch sensor, the biggest upgrade of the Air 2S over the Mavic Air 2.

While the Mavic Air 2 had the half inch sensor, the Air 2S has the one-inch sensor size 20MP CMOS camera. This sensor size is seen in other DJI drones like the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 and even in the Autel Evo 2 Pro. However, these drones are considered to be professional-level drones and not intended for the prosumer market like the Air 2S.

He4fdMqwB86gpRJd9XShJlla7OiUKP3U5yaUoMBRBMIVDrISUOugXe9PNHVMeWdAON9u3yrxkPoP__s3w0fGhIM1_4nZSgCgR2pRf5Mq3THbjCTlym6v-JNhvqjoApkiLxVcUMNt

The 1-inch sensor allows for better shots in low-light conditions as well as to shoot videos in 5.4k at 30 fps. The Air 2S can also shoot up 4k up to 60 fps and 1080p at 120 fps. It has also a f/2.8 fixed aperture which should give you more control over your shots.

Another difference between the Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is the zooming capability. At 5.4k, the Air 2S can zoom up to three times and up to 8 times at the lowest resolution. This is a big step from the previous version that can only zoom up to six times.

Other smart features and upgrades have been added to the DJI Air 2S to make it a much more adaptive shooting tool. Among these are the 150 max bitrate of the Air 2S versus the 120 bit rate of the Mavic Air 2, and 10-bit D-log over 8-bit of the previous version.

The Air 2S offers improved Panorama and Timelapse function, the latter of which takes advantage of improved footage in low-light situations due to low-light situations plus the ability to stabilize footage after recording, as well as upgraded functionalities on features like FocusTrack and Quickshots modes.

Three big changes in the DJI Ai2 are Mastershots which, based on available material, may be like the Air 2S’s version of the DJI Mimo’s Story Mode. APAS 4.0 is a big step when it comes to obstacle avoidance as the AIr 2S now has additional top sensors that will make flying and utilizing the upgraded ActiveTrack 4.0 that much safer so you can focus more on content creation rather than keeping your bird safely in the air.

Lastly, the DJI Air 2S has O3 transmission, the upgrade from OcuSync 3.0, that was last seen in the recently released DJI FPV Drone. With this feature, you can get a transmission range of up to 12km FCC (8km in CE), an honestly insane range that you can probably reach in perfect conditions.

Speaking of range, the good news is that Mavic Air 2 batteries are compatible with the Air 2S. Flight time is slightly lower, though, and there is no news whether battery swapping will affect the total flight time. There’s also a rumor that the Air 2S will be able to provide users with a more immersive flight experience with FPV goggle and motion controller compatibility, but that has yet to be confirmed.

E6VZLDV6O4eVZ6cuRDzLGHpkUOAsHRt5aqJusdnxi7z5GnNuGFSQ9cfaUGPQ7GFkNgP7AmJWr408h__6Pkod48YEdRFmpWFQoEqBcxqBYN5byB-TzkXXbo6wGopPIoyg4ox4ec_q

All in all, I can say that the difference between the DJI Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is quite impressive, especially with the improved 1-inch camera, ActiveTrack 4.0, OcuSync 3.0, and the new Mastershots mode. I’m sure to upgrade from the Mavic Air 2 and you should too if you want to create better quality content using the best camera--to-weight/price prosumer drone in the market today. For me, it’s perfect for content creators, aerial photographers on a budget, and for those who travel a lot (sorry Mini 2!).

Of course, MA2 is still one of the best drones out there right now so ultimately it’s going to be your choice depending on your needs.

Air 2(34mins) have more flight time than the Air 2S(31mins). But longer range on Air 2S.
Show us where YOU can get 34 mins flight time. Does not happen in real world. Even at full charge right off the charging base - my Air2 may have 30 mins battery life. That is not flight time. By the time the critical battery warning hits and landing commences around the 3 minute mark - more or less, you have maybe 25-27 mins of real flight time. Add in some wind, sport mode, and other factors - and you're down to well below 25 mins max.

Marketing pitches in the non real world seem to fool a lot of people.

@dronekilleremir
Thank you so much for the overview. I literally JUST bought my Air2 FMC, "just" as this past Friday. Spent the evening watching videos on how to fly, setup, etc., then was practicing flying on Saturday... I'm a newbie and the recreational user. Mostly will be shooting videos on vacations. I wish I discovered this forum earlier, and knew that A2s was coming out. I decided on buying DJI drone only last week. However, at this point, since already have MA2, I'm not sure if I want to exchange it for A2s. With your throughout overview, I don't think I can justify spending extra money, especially as some users here said, the FMC price is $100 more for, pretty much, the exact same kit, on a top of the $200. I haven't even tried all the functions, or zoom to see if I'm ok with it. Honestly, I did not even know MA2 has a zoom ?‍♀️ yes, I'm the kind of girl that buys car based on the color ?‍♀️ don't j

Aside from the name change that is the norm in previous DJI product releases, the newly launched DJI Air 2SS has some significant changes both inside and out. But is it for you, and would it be worth your money to upgrade? Here’s what you can expect with the DJI Air 2S.

The DJI Air 2S has pretty much the same dimensions as its predecessors so some accessories may be compatible with each other. It’s slightly heavier at 600 grams, which is probably because of the 1-inch sensor, the biggest upgrade of the Air 2S over the Mavic Air 2.

While the Mavic Air 2 had the half inch sensor, the Air 2S has the one-inch sensor size 20MP CMOS camera. This sensor size is seen in other DJI drones like the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 and even in the Autel Evo 2 Pro. However, these drones are considered to be professional-level drones and not intended for the prosumer market like the Air 2S.

He4fdMqwB86gpRJd9XShJlla7OiUKP3U5yaUoMBRBMIVDrISUOugXe9PNHVMeWdAON9u3yrxkPoP__s3w0fGhIM1_4nZSgCgR2pRf5Mq3THbjCTlym6v-JNhvqjoApkiLxVcUMNt

The 1-inch sensor allows for better shots in low-light conditions as well as to shoot videos in 5.4k at 30 fps. The Air 2S can also shoot up 4k up to 60 fps and 1080p at 120 fps. It has also a f/2.8 fixed aperture which should give you more control over your shots.

Another difference between the Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is the zooming capability. At 5.4k, the Air 2S can zoom up to three times and up to 8 times at the lowest resolution. This is a big step from the previous version that can only zoom up to six times.

Other smart features and upgrades have been added to the DJI Air 2S to make it a much more adaptive shooting tool. Among these are the 150 max bitrate of the Air 2S versus the 120 bit rate of the Mavic Air 2, and 10-bit D-log over 8-bit of the previous version.

The Air 2S offers improved Panorama and Timelapse function, the latter of which takes advantage of improved footage in low-light situations due to low-light situations plus the ability to stabilize footage after recording, as well as upgraded functionalities on features like FocusTrack and Quickshots modes.

Three big changes in the DJI Ai2 are Mastershots which, based on available material, may be like the Air 2S’s version of the DJI Mimo’s Story Mode. APAS 4.0 is a big step when it comes to obstacle avoidance as the AIr 2S now has additional top sensors that will make flying and utilizing the upgraded ActiveTrack 4.0 that much safer so you can focus more on content creation rather than keeping your bird safely in the air.

Lastly, the DJI Air 2S has O3 transmission, the upgrade from OcuSync 3.0, that was last seen in the recently released DJI FPV Drone. With this feature, you can get a transmission range of up to 12km FCC (8km in CE), an honestly insane range that you can probably reach in perfect conditions.

Speaking of range, the good news is that Mavic Air 2 batteries are compatible with the Air 2S. Flight time is slightly lower, though, and there is no news whether battery swapping will affect the total flight time. There’s also a rumor that the Air 2S will be able to provide users with a more immersive flight experience with FPV goggle and motion controller compatibility, but that has yet to be confirmed.

E6VZLDV6O4eVZ6cuRDzLGHpkUOAsHRt5aqJusdnxi7z5GnNuGFSQ9cfaUGPQ7GFkNgP7AmJWr408h__6Pkod48YEdRFmpWFQoEqBcxqBYN5byB-TzkXXbo6wGopPIoyg4ox4ec_q

All in all, I can say that the difference between the DJI Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is quite impressive, especially with the improved 1-inch camera, ActiveTrack 4.0, OcuSync 3.0, and the new Mastershots mode. I’m sure to upgrade from the Mavic Air 2 and you should too if you want to create better quality content using the best camera--to-weight/price prosumer drone in the market today. For me, it’s perfect for content creators, aerial photographers on a budget, and for those who travel a lot (sorry Mini 2!).

Of course, MA2 is still one of the best drones out there right now so ultimately it’s going to be your choice depending on your needs.
I bought my MA2 days ago before I even knew about the MA2s. Tried to return the MA2 and would have to pay for the return shipping. I haven't even launched my MA2 yet. I know there's always going to be the next great release. I'm thinking I'll just enjoy my MA2 until I get real good and then upgrade accordingly to the right aircraft. At least that's what I'm telling myself to keep from getting pissed at myself! ?

Yes, the M2Z, Air 2 and 2S can pan as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a refurb pro includes 3x batts, charging hub, more props, etc, like the Air 2S FMC for $1299.
Then there's Occusync 3, greater flight range, and future Goggles V2 support and 8.5x digital zoom.
Don't get me wrong I love the bigger, quieter birds, and will prob jump on the Mavic 3 like a good little consumer ;D

I wasn't aware that the MA2 could pan, but I expected the M2Z to be able to.
I think greater "range", considering the VLOS rules is unneeded in the US. I've flown out to 10,000 ft at night with unobstructed view and still had plenty of signal, but any further would have put the return trip into jeopardy with a battery potentially running out of gas (over water).

To be speculative, I'm not sure the M3 is coming. they might created a niche that replaces the M2 series but an M3?. The M2 was due for replacement/upgrades, but what did DJI do? They bridged the gap between the M2 which is still selling by updating a drone that was released only a year ago! They've abandoned the Mavic name so would have to come up with a new moniker, stopped updating Go4 and really worked on DJI Fly, which btw runs the FPV drone. As anyone who is saavy at analysis, DJI's push has been boosting margin with minimal tooling and out of pocket startup costs. The one feature that the M2 Pro has over all the other prosumer/consumer drones is variable aperture. My guess is that DJI might have something to replace the M2 but at a much higher price point because there isn't anything between the M2's and the Inspire.

Show us where YOU can get 34 mins flight time. Does not happen in real world. Even at full charge right off the charging base - my Air2 may have 30 mins battery life. That is not flight time. By the time the critical battery warning hits and landing commences around the 3 minute mark - more or less, you have maybe 25-27 mins of real flight time. Add in some wind, sport mode, and other factors - and you're down to well below 25 mins max.

While it's true that the 34 minutes isn't real world and most of us see anywhere from 20 to 27 minutes depending on the situation and our personal comfort zone for reserve/ desire not to damage our batteries if the Air2s is advertised at 3 minutes less than the MA2 in the theoretical its safe to assume the same will hold true in the real world under those same conditions. And maybe even less flight time if the pilot is maximizing the use of all the new features. Personally I don't record much and just enjoy the flight so I normally eek out an extra minute or 2 compared to others might.

That is based on the specs provided by DJI!

as wonderful as these new drones are ,there is only one reason i would purchase a new DJI drone ,and that is if it complies with the new C marked drones, to take full advantage of the recent changes to the rules in the UK ,and benefit from my A2 C of C ,until then i will stick with what i have

as wonderful as these new drones are ,there is only one reason i would purchase a new DJI drone ,and that is if it complies with the new C marked drones, to take full advantage of the recent changes to the rules in the UK ,and benefit from my A2 C of C ,until then i will stick with what i have
Good call Old Man Mavic. I'm of the same mindset where I have plenty to fly right now and have fun so until I'm sure my next bird meets the new rules here I'm done buying.

Im staying with my air2 there is no reason for me im just a recreational flyer. I'm happy with the air 2 plus the fly more package is $1.300. That's more than I care to spend. But for the professional photographer is probably worth it just my opinion. Have a great day all
I'm with you not a big picture movie taking guy just fly and have me some fun, will wait for something else....maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac and RMS001
I'll use myself as an example but I think a lot of people here could see the similarities with themselves. I already have the Air2, with the FMC, and I've bought an additional charger, battery( maybe 3 if I'm really in to it) and a bigger/ better bag or case over the last year. So now I have batteries and more ways to charge them along with a spare bag. Since everything that's been upgraded is in the device and controller I don't really need the FMC so if I'm upgrading it'll be the base kit. But in the past they made it so that the VALUE of the FMC made it pretty much a no brainer. For the price of just 2 new batteries, or maybe a little higher sometimes, I got the extra props, a bag, the hub and so forth at almost no extra cost to DJI but a lot of value to me. Now 3/4 of the retail for the individual pieces is built in to that FMC price so it loses value to me because where before "the bag is free so it doesn't matter if it not the biggest or best" it's now if I'm paying for it I want something bigger, more durable or a different style. If I'm paying for something I want to pay for what I want/ need.
Now, as you say, amateurs will look at the price and go cheaper, but that's not exactly always true. They often look more for value than price when things are close. They'll look at how much do they get for what they pay. The Air2 offered almost $440us(retail pricing off dji site) in its FMC for $210 while the Air2s only changed out the ND filter set( $35 differential based off dji retail pricing on their site compared to the Air2) adding 1 additional filter and increased the price by $100. That $35 change could be argued to be massively inflated in spite of the size increase and additional filter. Do most of us use the kit ND filter set or, after a short period of time, do we go out and buy a better set of Freewell or Tiffen at the same or lower price? And I dont think I've ever used the battery pack adaptor because let's be honest here you can charge your phone almost anywhere and however you want but need a high capacity pack and specialized charger for your drone batteries. So now it comes to cost. Basic kit 1k, plus 2 batteries at 115 each but maybe I don't want to buy them at once, a charging hub( I think I'll go with the highly rated Hanotora with car charging option, parallel and smart discharge for $55) a Mavic2 bag for $50 and some MAS props 2 sets at $25 each along with a 4 pack of Freewell for $60( had to use prices for MP2 but should be similar). Now my cart is actually over, by a fair margin inching in on the advertised value of the contents, than the $300 FMC cost but I have 2 full fledged chargers that can do 5 batteries simultaneously instead of 3 batteries in series, better props( in my opinion at least) better filters and by using the M2 bag a lot more space to carry and protect than the MA2(s) bag offers. If you wanted to trade something out, like the hanorota hub at $20 vs the charging hub example I used, a cheap set of filters for $30 instead or go with some other bag/ case that fits your needs better you can and in doing so drop the price more but still get what you want instead of a 1 size fits some approach. And my pricing is retail, not the oem cost, so you know it doesn't hit their bottom line the same way I'm illustrating it beating up our wallets.
I think you would like what I am waiting for !
Sell me the Air2S Drone only ! nothing else, no controller, maybe 1 batt, no cables, no charger etc etc.
It might be 600-700usd but that's ok. I am only buying what I need!!!

Give me a few options - Do the shopping cart thing.
e.g.
I want the drone so that goes in the cart
Maybe 1 batt - in the cart. That's it. ship now !

I think you would like what I am waiting for !
Sell me the Air2S Drone only ! nothing else, no controller, maybe 1 batt, no cables, no charger etc etc.
It might be 600-700usd but that's ok. I am only buying what I need!!!

Give me a few options - Do the shopping cart thing.
e.g.
I want the drone so that goes in the cart
Maybe 1 batt - in the cart. That's it. ship now !
Something like that would be great but you know it'll never happen directly from DJI. Maybe Rotorlogic or someone will breakup the kits on to eBay and we can do just that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000