DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Wide Angle Panorama problem

remotehorizons

Reactions
Site
remotehorizons.com
I am having problems with stitching panoramas taken with the Air 2s In wide-angle panorama mode. Whilst vertical panoramas stitch really well in Lightroom, I can’t get the wide-angle to work at all. You will see the jpeg below which the drone produces after the panorama is taken, and then the one Lightroom produces with the banana shaped horizon. I have tried all of the different perspective modes in Lightroom, and also other apps like Affinity Photo. Nothing seems to be able to replicate what the drone can do itself.

How do I make a wide-angle pano with a straight horizon?

F8C842DF-F806-4FED-AEF5-3E4EA2420B9F.jpeg

CE422B17-B62E-4857-9469-2BFB5ED4B431.jpeg

Reactions: jwp721
How do I make a wide-angle pano with a straight horizon?
That wide panorama "feature" is too clever for itself.
And how does it take those angled side shots?
It's better to just shoot manually and stitch it yourself.
With a little practice, it's fast and easy and gives you more control than the automated way.

I'd suggest to try PTGui. Lightroom's panorama stitching doesn't give you enough control to address those horizon issues, but it should stitch with no issues in PTGui.

I'd suggest to try PTGui. Lightroom's panorama stitching doesn't give you enough control to address those horizon issues, but it should stitch with no issues in PTGui.
It doesn't matter what stitching program you use, there's something screwy about DJI's way of shooting panoramas.
See this thread:

It doesn't matter what stitching program you use, there's something screwy about DJI's way of shooting panoramas.
See this thread:
I can't speak to every instance, but in both the hundreds of panoramas I've shot in person (both drone and regular camera) and seen in workshops, it's typically user error with camera/position or stitching. The drone really removes most of the opportunity to mess up the camera/position aspect, leaving the problem with stitching. PTGui can successfully stitch things that Lightroom will just throw an error on when Photomerging, to say nothing of the greater control over projection/perspective/etc.

Canting the horizon in the stitch isn't optimal, but it should be able to be compensated for in a program, Lightroom just might not like it.

I can't speak to every instance, but in both the hundreds of panoramas I've shot in person (both drone and regular camera) and seen in workshops, it's typically user error with camera/position or stitching.
I thought so too.
But did you read the link?
You cannot get a good result stint thing the shots from the automated 9 shot piano.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. If you shoot a "wide angle" pano, the composite JPG that is produced is perfect. But reconstructing the the pano from the native DNGs always produces a distorted image. Why? PTGui is not the answer because it is too expensive for this simple fix and way too complex. And incomprehensible UI. [yes, I know you are not having that problem]

Here is the source of the problem. The DNGs that are produced for wide angle views (not 180) are tilted! Why does it do that? So the internal DJI software can correct that. LR or PS cannot correct. It is trying to compensate for axis of revolution, but poorly.

For single shots, I always edit from Raws, but for 360 and wide angle panos, I find the DJI stitched JPGs remarkably good. I usually shoot -0.3EV to preserve the highlights, and just do light editing in LrC. On 360s, I occasionally have to retouch minor horizon glitches, but often perfect. The way the Air 2S shoots panos by tilting the camera and varying the exposures between shots makes it very hard to stitch in external programs.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie