DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Combo Batteries Discharging from 100% to 58% in 30 Days?

Can someone tell me if the auto discharge feature damages the batteries?
Leaving batteries fully charged for long periods damages them.
The auto discharge feature was introduced to reduce damage to batteries.

On the contrary: auto discharge will keep the battery in a state where its long term performance is less likely to become degraded.

It can be annoying when you have stored your kit for a few days, decide to head out on the spur of the moment and find that all your IFB's are only showing 3 LED's... but I'd rather have that and face watching them charge for an hour than end up with a set of very expensive bloated (gassed) batteries that I daren't use.

Originally, DJI programmed the flight batteries to hold charge for 10 days before significant self-discharge (Mavic 2 batteries still have that option in the GO4 app), then the firmware updates altered that to a 2 day threshold.

Last edited:
I noticed for the Air3 mentioned earlier in the thread the instructions say they drop to 60% after 9 days -

1728847921192.png

For mini 2 etc they drop to 72% after 9 days -

Smart batteries allow you to charge the batteries and store them safely so they are ready for your next outing if that is within 9 days you will not need to charge them again.

Read #2 below - they drop to 96% after one day then stay at 96% for a further 8 days when they discharge themselves to 72%.

1728847429396.png

Last edited:

No, it does not. In fact, it preserves them.

As others have pointed out, though, you can still engage a charging pattern that will reduce life.

Charging to 100%, allowing self-discharge, then charging up to 100% again when you actually fly is a wasted charge cycle. Charging stresses the battery. More than discharge per watt-hour. That's why charge and discharge current ratings are asymmetric.

No it will not BUT you not checking on the condition of your batteries for a few months- CAN. the Batteries still are using power even after they discharge to a certain amount. If you let this go for to long you will have a battery that wont charge.

Reactions: Erk1024
Thanks guys for all your answers.Glad to hear that I haven't damaged my batteries by letting them discharge automatically, as this has happened to me more than once.

The problem comes from those who charge and forget! not that the batteries discharge on their own. Just remember they will keep discharging until you use them. You will be fine doing it your way.

Charging to 100%, allowing self-discharge, then charging up to 100% again when you actually fly is a wasted charge cycle

That is correct but as discussed several times if you know you are going to fly again in the next 9 days you won't need to charge again as the battery will be at 96%, if you are not going to fly in the next 9 days charge them to 75%.

If your batteries are very low when you have been out flying and you plan to fly in the next 9 days why not charge them fully then they are ready rather than wait until the day you plan to fly and you have to charge them from a very low charge state which can take quite a while if you have more than one, if you also keep them charged they are ready in case you decide to go out on an unplanned flying session.

The reason is that the degradation happens over time while they are at full charge. So if you charge them to 100% and then go fly, they aren't spending much time at 100%. But ... having said all this, if you cycle the three batteries in your fly-more combo 500 times each, then you've gotten your use out of the drone. At which point you're probably due for an upgrade, or you can always pick up fresh batteries. So feel free to ignore all this advice.

That is correct but as discussed several times if you know you are going to fly again in the next 9 days you won't need to charge again as the battery will be at 96%, if you are not going to fly in the next 9 days charge them to 75%.

That's not what I was talking about.

Here are my concerns and questions:
  1. Is this normal? I doubt it. If not, what could explain such a large discharge in relatively new batteries? During all my flights, I’ve only received low battery landing warnings 2-3 times. Airdata shows the battery health at 98-99%, which makes this steep drop puzzling.
  2. What could be causing this discharge? Do others have similar experiences with their batteries?
  3. Why is there such a big discrepancy between the "Times Charged" reported by Airdata and the Log Files?
@Max Headroom @Cafguy @Felix le Chat @Meta4

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the valuable tips on charging and discharging. I found the information both educational and helpful.
Could someone please address my Point 3?
Thank you!

Attachments

• BAttery info 2.jpg
    BAttery info 2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2
No it will not BUT you not checking on the condition of your batteries for a few months- CAN. the Batteries still are using power even after they discharge to a certain amount. If you let this go for to long you will have a battery that wont charge.
Yes! 100%. I killed two Mavic 2 Pro batteries this way. o_O

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mertyaldiz