DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Map- RED LINE HOME is GONE

kidologist

Reactions
Got the new Air 3, took my first flight. So far, I like it. BUT on the map (got the new remote with built in screen) there is no RED LINE pointing the direct route back home. This is very handy in situations where it isn't so obvious from surroundings which is the way home. Is this a setting that has to be turned on? I couldn't find it anywhere. I will be more nervous flying if I can't tell quickly and easily the route back, that red line always pointing the way home was VERY HELPFUL. Why would that be removed. The trace line is there, but it's not like you are going to retrace your route back, and that line is faint and hard to see on the screen.

I sure hope this is a setting I just need to turn on.

THANKS for any help!

Reactions: Xitor
Is this a setting that has to be turned on? I couldn't find it anywhere.
I don't have that model to know if the red line is there or not, but it shouldn't be a big problem.
Switch to this display and you can easily tell when the drone is pointing towards home (H).
i-W9L5SpS-L.jpg

Click on the red-circled icon and you will have it. (I took the image from Meta4 above)

Attachments

• i-W9L5SpS-L.jpg
    i-W9L5SpS-L.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 62
Click on the red-circled icon and you will have it. (I took the image from Meta4 above)
He did specifically refer to the map, rather than the radar, and stated the red line back to the RC is no longer depicted. I know it is now so faint as to be almost useless. It used to be very clear in GO 4 (I think it was bright yellow, though, and as long as you kept the line vertical, with the map orientation unlocked, you knew the RC was pointing directly at the drone at all times. The radar view has now replaced that.

Reactions: tdkeim2
@kidologist , i can concur the red line from drone icon to home point is indeed still there ,i just leave the mini map display on ,dont bother with the so called Radar screen myself, and that red line will always take the drone back to the home point ,if the arrowhead of the drone icon points directly along it

Reactions: EmsAir
I miss the toggle switch on the phantom standard controller-- flip the switch then the orientation of the drone was meaningless and you could just pull the right stick back and it would come back. Was perfect if for some reason the phone crashed or you lost your view.

I don't have that model to know if the red line is there or not, but it shouldn't be a big problem.
Switch to this display and you can easily tell when the drone is pointing towards home (H).
i-W9L5SpS-L.jpg
I love this message 1st time I'm like wait what??? DJI never told me this would happen :oops:

I love this message 1st time I'm like wait what??? DJI never told me this would happen :oops:
It's just one of DJI's poorly worded screen messages.
It should read: Your drone might have difficulty returning home.
It will even show when the drone is upwind of the homepoint and will have no trouble at all coming back.

Reactions: old man mavic
i-W9L5SpS-L.jpg
Thank you, that's true. I don't use it just to return home, but just to keep my bearing as i fly about, nice to always know which way is back. RTH make it to "up" and then back, but yes, it does point it in the right direction, so that is always a good backup. I have used that when conenction drops. Otherwise, I like to fly back. Thanks again.

Reactions: cneedelman
Reactions: blackbirdsr72
@kidologist , i can concur the red line from drone icon to home point is indeed still there ,i just leave the mini map display on ,dont bother with the so called Radar screen myself, and that red line will always take the drone back to the home point ,if the arrowhead of the drone icon points directly along it
Hmmm... on mine the red line is no longer there. I am referring to the map, not the radar. As another poster said, the radar is helpful for point the way back to the H icon, but I will try again. Perhaps as someone else said it is more faint now and with the new controller it is hard to see in sunlight? Will be checking tonight flying in dusk instead of full light. It may be that flying with iPad mini 6 the bigger display was an advantage. will see!

By the way, i LOVE your profile icon! Huge Muppets fan since I do puppets professionally.

UPDATE: Indeed it IS there, it's just not RED any more, its LIGHT GREY and barely visible. So far the only thing I really NO NOT LIKE about the Air 3 - otherwise, i am really enjoying it. It's invisible in daylight - on the previous remote it was THINK and BRIGHT RED. Doh. But yes, you can switch to the radar and rotate until your little drone icon is pointing toward the H or just use RTH. (which I only use as a last resort)

QUESTION: How do you do the screen shots? Can one of the bottom buttons be programmed for that?

@kidologist well that is strange, because on my screen using the DJI RC 2 controller, in the Mini map, the line that is going back to the home point,is most definitely red ,

Reactions: DirtyDrone
UPDATE: Indeed it IS there, it's just not RED any more, its LIGHT GREY and barely visible. So far the only thing I really NO NOT LIKE about the Air 3 - otherwise, i am really enjoying it. It's invisible in daylight - on the previous remote it was THINK and BRIGHT RED. Doh. But yes, you can switch to the radar and rotate until your little drone icon is pointing toward the H or just use RTH. (which I only use as a last resort)

QUESTION: How do you do the screen shots? Can one of the bottom buttons be programmed for that?
Screenshot and recording is done via a swipe down from the top of screen, in the menu outside of fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_