DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 or Mavic 3 Classic?

kbdrone

Reactions
Hey all - I am a new hobby drone flyer and recently picked up the mini pro 4 and absolutely love flying and taking photos and video. My only issue with the mini 4 pro is the handling/stability in the wind. I live in a very windy area and as I now know this is a hobby I will continue I am willing to spend a little extra on a larger drone and a fly more combo. So the general question is if you would recommend the Air 3 or the Mavic 3 classic. My main concerns are wind stability, longevity, and image quality. I have watched lots of reviews and still undecided and hoping your feedback could be helpful.

We fly the Air 3 and the Mavic 3 Classic and the Mavic 3 Pro in some Extreme Weather and there all able to Negotiate the winds well

If you could get a used Mavic 3 Pro that is what I would Recommend. If your in this hobby your always going to be jumping up to the next new drone so Resale value should be considered.

You should also consider what accessories a drone has to offer, such as we make the Wet Suit and Rescue Jacket for these drones , making them even more functional in severe weather or landing on the water.

If your in heavy winds , no matter what drone you have you want to use the Manual Pano and edit elsewhere , this way you wont get warnings the your picture cannot be completed. The results are still brilliant.

If your not worried about Resale value and not concerned with the extra zoom that the mavic 3 Pro offers than I would consider the Mavic 3 Classic.

The only thing I really enjoy about the Air 3 is the Foot Print being smaller and when your flying from inside the car, that smaller footprint is nice to have as your are problably aware of how easy it is to set on a table compared to daddy long legs.

As far as picture quality , there all very close , there is no way to tell what drone I shot this with .

View attachment DJI_20230703070544_0055_D (1).jpg

Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain, Land on the Water.
Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
Great points above.

Would say Mavic 3 Classic if you don't have a need for 70/166mm lenses from Mavic 3 Pro. Air 3 is a beast though honestly and does phenomenally. I have both M3P and Air 3 and usually grab the Air 3 because its a great middle ground. RC 2 is pretty darn good too. All around though, M3 classic may fit the bill based on what you were looking for.

Happy to hear there are solutions for bad weather or for mishaps in the water. Is the Rescue Jacket effective for accidental ditching in the ocean ? (granted not in a storm) . Will be in touch depending what drone I settle on.

I am also contemplating an Air 3. I currently have an original Mavic 3 (with 2 lenses) but heard Air 3 or M3Pro are superior on the telephoto lens for still photographs. I dont want to spend 2k+ on another Mavic unless i sell my existing one. Sounds like you dont agree with there being a significant difference in the quality of the optics?

Last edited:
Hey all - I am a new hobby drone flyer and recently picked up the mini pro 4 and absolutely love flying and taking photos and video. My only issue with the mini 4 pro is the handling/stability in the wind. I live in a very windy area and as I now know this is a hobby I will continue I am willing to spend a little extra on a larger drone and a fly more combo. So the general question is if you would recommend the Air 3 or the Mavic 3 classic. My main concerns are wind stability, longevity, and image quality. I have watched lots of reviews and still undecided and hoping your feedback could be helpful.
I have the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic 3 Classic. Having been a professional photographer most of my life, I bought the Classic for one main reason. It has a camera designed by Hasselblad, one of the top professional cameras in the world.

Reactions: Speedster 1966
Cameras on Air 3 are like toys compared to the Hasselblad on the Mavic 3 Classic.

I had an Air 3 and I returned. Big disappointment in photographic quality.
I definitely disagree with this. The Hassy is good, but it's not mind-blowingly better than the other cameras. IMHO, the utility of the 70mm camera outweighs any loss in quality you get not having the Hassy lens on the Air3, so I would get an Air3 over a Mavic 3 Classic any day of the week. The 70mm is probably what I use most often on my Mavic 3 Pro because you can make it wide with pano shooting *and* get the compression effects of the telephoto.

As another poster mentioned, you get the best of both worlds with the Mavic 3 Pro.

I can’t really add much first hand information to this thread, but wanted to say that’s a really nice shot in post#2 Phantomrain. Understanding it’s usually the guy behind the camera that’s the most important element, what did you shoot that with?

I definitely disagree with this. The Hassy is good, but it's not mind-blowingly better than the other cameras. IMHO, the utility of the 70mm camera outweighs any loss in quality you get not having the Hassy lens on the Air3, so I would get an Air3 over a Mavic 3 Classic any day of the week. The 70mm is probably what I use most often on my Mavic 3 Pro because you can make it wide with pano shooting *and* get the compression effects of the telephoto.

As another poster mentioned, you get the best of both worlds with the Mavic 3 Pro.

That's the beauty of living in regions like USA or European Union. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I am sure you will enjoy whichever model you choose. Have fun!

Reactions: kbdrone
I did :)

Anyway, just saying, don't be so sure about what other people will or will not enjoy.
That wasn't my intent at all. We all end up sooner or later finding something that we like. My point is be positive and have fun. Life is short. Peace be with you.

Not an expert on either, but I would think the Air 3 having OS 4 would be preferable.

Hey all - small update to the post. I ended up getting the Air 3 primarily due to cost. Unfortunately I had some unforeseen and rather expensive medical bills that made the decision rather easy. I was somewhat undecided to start with but recent events made my choice for me if I wanted a larger new drone in the near future. I think the Air 3 will serve me will for the foreseeable future and honesty very happy I was able to get anything at the moment. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne