DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AIR 3 PICTURE QUALITY PROBLEM

marliwspace

Reactions
Hello guys!

I have a quote with my new drone AIR 3.

I have upgraded from AIR 2S and I was expecting to be a better decison. But unfortunatelly I have been shooting Panorama's with it and I have been really dissapointed. It looks like that the pixels in the images are almost the same but the quality of them is left.

Is there a possibility to be a bug or the overall settings of the camera sucks?

I have uploaded 2 panoramas in the link as follows for you guys to help me to understand is there a general problem or it is the problem only in my drone.

LINK: 03.03.2024. - Google Drive

I would highly appreciate if you can help me to resolve this problem.

Thank you all in advance!

I have upgraded from AIR 2S and I was expecting to be a better decison. But unfortunatelly I have been shooting Panorama's with it and I have been really dissapointed.

Is there a possibility to be a bug or the overall settings of the camera sucks?
The biggest problem I see is that the images are over exposed, making them look washed out.
They would look better with about one stop lower exposure.
The composition with half the frame being white overcast sky and a darker foreground isn't helping either.

Reactions: hiflyer201
The biggest problem I see is that the images are over exposed, making them look washed out.
They would look better with about one stop lower exposure.
The composition with half the frame being white overcast sky and a darker foreground isn't helping either.
I understand you mate, but I see significant difference in the texture qualitiy, when I zoom in to 100% or 200%, there is no single detail, while in the AIR 2S pictures is very detailed. I appreciate what you are mentioning about the exposure, but I will upload other images with normal exposure and the results are the same.

Reactions: Xi Zhou
I understand you mate, but I see significant difference in the texture qualitiy, when I zoom in to 100% or 200%, there is no single detail, while in the AIR 2S pictures is very detailed. I appreciate what you are mentioning about the exposure, but I will upload other images with normal exposure and the results are the same.
You'll have to compare similar subjects and lighting.
The Air2S camera has a larger sensor and is going to give better results in low light than the smaller sensor of the Air 3, which needs good light to give its best results.

Hard detail like walls will always look better than soft detail like the trees.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I downloaded your images and I think that you have not converted the DNG files before stitching.
So you have stitched the thumbnails and not the full images.
1709557156299.png

Your files after opening in RawTherapee and saviing as a JPEG
1709557515567.png
Detail at 300dpi is better than 96dpi.
PANO_0001.jpgPANO_0002.jpg
Where did you get the images from. I do not have an Air 3.
With my Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom I take the JPEG and DNG files dowloaded directly from the MicroSD Card into my PC.
JPEG files can be stitched as is but the DNG files first need to be Processed to bring out the detailed image within and not the front thumbnail.

I downloaded your images and I think that you have not converted the DNG files before stitching.
So you have stitched the thumbnails and not the full images.
He only posted the individual images and no stitched panoramas, so there's nothing to indicate that he stitched the thumbnail images.
Where did you get the images from.
The images are the full-sized dng files, so they can have only come from the SD card.

He only posted the individual images and no stitched panoramas, so there's nothing to indicate that he stitched the thumbnail images.

The images are the full-sized dng files, so they can have only come from the SD card.
Yes I agree that they are the full DNG files but the images as posted are only 960x720 so they are just the front thumbnails and not the full expanded images.

I think that marliwspace is saying that his PANO looks like this
PANO_0001_stitch_From_Originals.jpg

View attachment 173136
1709561520508.png
But he wants it to look like this:-
Sorry the better PANO is too large to upload in full

1709561592327.png

Last edited:
Here is the verticle pano from the Google Drive converting the DNG files to uncompressed TIFF then PhotoMerged using Photoshop CS5 Extd.

VertPanoCrop.jpg

Attachments

• VertPano.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think that marliwspace is saying that his PANO looks like this
You've posted a 2364 x 1285 pano that you've created.
If he had actually stitched the 960 x 640 thumbnails, it would be smaller and look worse than that.
Until he posts any stitched panoramas, there's no way of knowing what he's done.

Yes I agree that they are the full DNG files but the images as posted are only 960x720 so they are just the front thumbnails and not the full expanded images.
You've confused yourself.
He didn't post any 960 x 720 images.
The images he posted are all 4032 x 3024

You've confused yourself.
He didn't post any 960 x 720 images.
The images he posted are all 4032 x 3024
Open the images in the link on google drive and click on the three vertical dots to open the image in a new window. Click the three vertical dots in the new window and choose details. The returned information shows that the images are 960 x 720.
All of the images he has posted are 960 x 720 images and you are correct that he has not posted any panorama derived from the images on the google drive.
You and I both know that the full image resides within the 25MB files but needs to be processed by something like Adobe Digital Negative Converter before it can be seen, but does marliwspace know this?

All of the images he has posted are 960 x 720 images
No ... as I said in post #11, he didn't post any 960 x 720 images.
The images he posted are all full-sized 4032 x 3024 dng image files.
If you use software that can't read the dng file to show the details of the files, it will show the details of the jpg thumbnail because that's all it can read.
That's what you've done when you talk about clicking on three dots etc.

But there's no evidence that this is the problem the OP is facing.
It's just a guess.
There is no evidence that the OP stitched the tiny thumbnails inside each dng file.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehomer
Brought into Photoshop CS5 Extd and stitched using PhotoMerge with perspective correction then converted to a JPEG for display on the forum. Here is a link to the uncompressed TIFF version I placed on my Google Drive FestivalPanoCrop.tif which has better detail especially in faces.

Attachments

• FestivalPano.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I downloaded the first picture and opened it in LightRoom. Then zoomed in to the top-center and cropped. This is pretty doggone good. The yellow circle is the zoom.PANO_0001.jpgPANO_0001 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: davidarmenb
I shoot panoramas all the time with my Air 3 and I have no issues with the quality, and I am a professional photographer who sells images to commercial clients. I always download the raw DNG files and process them in Lightroom and Photoshop for optimal quality.

I have no issues with my Air 3 when creating panoramas using dedicated software. I’m not sure what happened here but they are indeed 12MP DNG so they could have only come from the SD card as a member already said. I think the issue here is that perhaps the built-in pano stitcher doesn’t produce high quality panos?

The Air2S camera has a larger sensor and is going to give better results in low light than the smaller sensor of the Air 3, which needs good light to give its best results.
My apologies but this is just untrue. Although a slightly smaller physical sensor (1” vs 0.77”), the Air 3 uses a state-of-the-art stacked and backside illuminated sensor, which can gather a ton more light than standard sensors of the past, which stacks the individual components in separate wafers to dramatically increase sensor read speed, and which has 48 physical megapixels that are pixel-binned (4 pixels become 1 huge pixel) to 12MP using a QuadBayer design when recording video and when in 12MP photo mode. In every measurable way, the Air 3 sensor performs better than the Air 2S, especially with regards to noise and the speed of the sensor due to the stacked design. One only has to shoot video at night to see the clear difference in the quality. Sensor size is only one variable when it comes to overall picture quality, there are many, many other variables.

IMG_3868.jpeg
Example of stacked sensor, showing separation of components into individual wafers that are then stacked together.

IMG_3870.jpeg
Differences between a regular (FSI) sensor and a BSI sensor, which the Air 3 uses. The main difference is all the electrical wiring is now underneath the photodiodes as opposed to above them, so they are no longer blocking any light from reaching the photodiodes, allowing the sensor to receive dramatically more light than it could before. BSI sensors can receive a similar amount of total light as much bigger sized FSI sensors, which the Air 2S uses.

These two huge physical upgrades to the sensor combine to make the Air 3 sensor an incredible piece of technology and a huge upgrade to the Air 2S.

My apologies but this is just untrue. Although a slightly smaller physical sensor (1” vs 0.77”), the Air 3 uses a state-of-the-art stacked and backside illuminated sensor, which can gather a ton more light than standard sensors of the past,
Do you know if the sensor used in the Air 3 the same as the 1/1.3″ sensor in the short tele camera of the Mavic 3 pro?
DJI hasn't said anything about it.

Do you know if the sensor used in the Air 3 the same as the 1/1.3″ sensor in the short tele camera of the Mavic 3 pro?
DJI hasn't said anything about it.
I do not have hard data but I do know that the specs themselves are identical: 48MP 1/1.3” (0.77”) sensor combined with a 70mm equivalent F2.8 fixed aperture lens.

However, I believe the short tele sensor in the Mavic 3 Pro is the same sensor they used in the Mini 3 Pro because the Air 3 was the first drone DJI released that featured a stacked, BSI sensor (as far as I am aware).

The only two drones that I am aware of that have the new sensor tech is the sensor used in Mini 4 Pro and the 2 sensors used in the Air 3.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Meta4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne