DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 RTH landing off

Unless some kind of optical visual assist is used (precision landing), GPS is only specified with an accuracy of -+ 16 feet, 95% of the time. Often is produces a much better result, but that is the spec.

I hope you guys got some help with RTH. Just curious, did you try switching drones and controllers to see what would happen?

Last edited:
before this thread looses its way ,i would just like to add a couple of points ,in regards to the sentence in blue in @Yorkshire_Pud' s post #2
as the drone hoveres at around 21ft the camera takes a picture of its surroundings in its field of view,this is stored in the drone ,which is then used as a reference once the drone starts its descent to the home point ,if this is not allowed to happen ,then the drone relies on its GPS home point coordinates, to establish where it took of from ,due to the nature of the GPS info ,this accuracy can vary, and although it is pretty good, landing a foot away ,as mentioned in the OP , is perfectly acceptable ,if having the drone precision land, is something that doesn't bother you, then just wait for the homepoint message ,take off and do whatever

To add a little more detail regarding the Precision Landing feature:
  • The drone must ascend to around 7m straight up without any other control input other than the throttle. ANY yaw, roll, ot pitch will cancel the PL initialization, and the feature will not be available again until the drone has landed and the motors stopped.
  • While the manual doesn't call for it, I always pause a few seconds hovering at 20', no control input at all, still having only ascended with the throttle, no other control inputs. In my imagination that's when it's capturing the LZ image from the VPS sensors 😁
This works for me 100g of the time. When PL setup has failed in the past, it's usually because of inadvertent yaw from the left stick while your trying to do a moderate, controlled ascent with the same stick.

I can read, can you?
They wrote "I go up 2530 feet after I hear home point established then I fly off I ........"
I doubt they would have used the phrases "go up 2530 feet" and "then I fly off" in the same sentence if they meant "I fly it out to 2530ft and then fly it further away" .

Besides, they were replying to a post in which I explicitly mention two things
1) the height of the initial climb necessary to activate Precision Landing, 7m.
2) The fact that that climb must take place BEFORE the drone is flown horizontally away from the home point.
Their responding to my post would be out of context if they were attempting to describe the events you suggest.

Sadly I lack your supposed mind reading abilities and I can only go by what they actually wrote.
I was saying 25-30’

The simple answer is that one is properly using the Precision Landing feature and the other isn't, but is using GPS alone, which is less accurate.
I had to return the home button and it should come by the land on the pad. But it doesn’t it’s at least 2 to 10 feet away most times.

I can’t remember reading anything about hovering in my manual but I have read that my drone will take a pic of its surroundings on take off so why not give it a chance to do so. I am never so much of in a hurry to just take off and go. I always take MP2 up about 7 meters to see how it’s acting with each and every battery, yaw left and right backwards and forwards to make sure I have control at least at that moment…it only takes a few seconds.

This isn't unusual.
GPS accuracy is only +/- a couple of feet.
At best, and a minority of the time.

Typical accuracy is 7-14 ft, which we've all experienced 😀

Consider the surface that drone is climbing above. If there are no distinct features and patterns, the drone can't get a good sense of where the exact home point is. Featureless surfaces and surfaces with repeated patterns can reduce the accuracy of the RTH landing.

The root of the difference in RTH landing accuracy between the two drones just may be the takeoff surfaces.

Precision landing is great. Make sure you have full satellite, take off, ensure you get home point updated, do not touch right stick until after you hover at about 20 feet for a couple seconds and ensure you are over something with a unique landing picture, take off pad, etc. I did six flights in a row from the middle of a sidewalk square. In each case I put a dime centered under the drone for take off. In 4 of the 6 landings, the dime was under the fuselage, and in all flights (all of at least 1000 feet before RTH) the dime was within an imaginary circle drawn around the 4 drone legs.

Reactions: Dbez1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas