Join Us Now

Air 3 Will Not Take Off

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
digitalphotocreations.co
Out of the many drones I have owned, I have never had this happen. I took the Air 3 to do a commercial real Estate Job and it wouldn't take off. The motors would not even spin regardless of the method used to start them (I tried the takeoff button and joysticks). After going through many troubleshooting ideas, I contacted DJI to see if I might have missed something. After answering all their questions, they are having me send it in for repair.

I'm writing this to see if anyone else has had this issue with the Air 3 or any other DJI drone for that matter.

The only time that I have ever had something like this happen was with my older Phantom 3 Pros... never with one of the newer aircraft. Since most of my flying time is commercial, you are making me think that I should go out on jobs with two of my drones for redundancy, just like I do with my traditional cameras.

Reactions: MotoSavy
The only time that I have ever had something like this happen was with my older Phantom 3 Pros... never with one of the newer aircraft. Since most of my flying time is commercial, you are making me think that I should go out on jobs with two of my drones for redundancy, just like I do with my traditional cameras.
I always take two with me. One is the Autel Evo Lite + in case I run into a GEO fencing issue. I have been using the Lite as my go-to drone but I really like the Air 3. Nonetheless, it's all good.

I was a bit taken aback by the DJI tech wanting me to use one of my Care Refresh cases for this. The drone is still under warranty and they will repair/replace it for free. Had I used the Care Refresh, I would have used up one and also had to pay a deductible.

Point of clarification.
As I stated above, I always take two drones with me. One is the Evo Lite+ in case of any GEO issues and to have a backup. However, I always go through the proper procedures for obtaining approval for any Airspace restrictions when I do a job. There have been times in the past that I have done so and even obtained an unlock code from DJI and get to the job and not be able to take off. This is what I'm referring to. In another thread, the above quote was taken out of context to say I approved of evading required approvals to fly in restricted airspace by using the Autel EVO Lite +. That is simply NOT the case!

Last edited:
Dumb Q for completeness... you're sure it was connected to the RC and showing the camera view? Also, no warning messages or anything?

Isn't that how it behaves if you're inside a geozone? Even if you weren't, the system has been buggy for many people, and the DB has errors some times.

If you still have the device you tried to fly it with, perhaps the logs might reveal something.

Curiosity piqued...

inside a |NFZ ?
No GPS and the drone on a dark surface resulting it thinking it will be taking off into ATTI mode.
Those are the two thoughts that come immediately to my mind, but I'd have thought the latter at least would give an interacyive warning

I always take two with me. One is the Autel Evo Lite + in case I run into a GEO fencing issue. I have been using the Lite as my go-to drone but I really like the Air 3. Nonetheless, it's all good.

I was a bit taken aback by the DJI tech wanting me to use one of my Care Refresh cases for this. The drone is still under warranty and they will repair/replace it for free. Had I used the Care Refresh, I would have used up one and also had to pay a deductible.
How do you like the Autel Evo Lite + ? I was thinking about getting one if only for the adjustable f stop Leica lens. 1" sensor.

How do you like the Autel Evo Lite + ? I was thinking about getting one if only for the adjustable f stop Leica lens. 1" sensor.
I love it. And it produces great images and videos

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Had this happen in Oregon. Motors would not start. I was in a Geo Fencing Zone. Thanks DJI.....

I've had the RID related no takeoff temporarily before, restarted the drone and it was fine after that. Sometimes I guess it either fails the RID check or the timing between starting and running the RID check is off.

Out of the many drones I have owned, I have never had this happen. I took the Air 3 to do a commercial real Estate Job and it wouldn't take off. The motors would not even spin regardless of the method used to start them (I tried the takeoff button and joysticks). After going through many troubleshooting ideas, I contacted DJI to see if I might have missed something. After answering all their questions, they are having me send it in for repair.

I'm writing this to see if anyone else has had this issue with the Air 3 or any other DJI drone for that matter.
This happens when the firmware on the drone and the controller are out of sync.

This happens when the firmware on the drone and the controller are out of sync.
I checked for updates and both were up to date. So, off to DJI it goes

Had this once with an Air 2S that wouldn't take off.
Rebooted the drone and controller, and the drone took off.

Had this once with an Air 2S that wouldn't take off.
Rebooted the drone and controller, and the drone took off.
I tried that. I also tried it in several different locations. DJI support chat had no clue and told me to send it in. I hope to hear from them what the problem was.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N