DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air actual range to expect

If you're not worried about the extra features for the M2 vs the M1 (namely Active Track 2.0 and no tilted horizon when yawing or turning) get the M1 and tweak it to use "FCC Boost", that's probably going to give you the best possible range at this time (FCC Boost is not available on the M2 AFAIK).

I agree that the Mavic Pro is still a great best bang for the buck.

What is your specific task?
If your property is square it’s about 4100 feet deep. So how many times do you need to traverse the property for your purpose?Advertised flight time on the M2s is about 30 min at max of 30ish mph and this will be with no wind and not much hovering... figure about 10% to 20% less in practice.... 8 miles or so max if done safely.
The MA will give you about 2/3 of this at extreme best.

Should I expect more than 1200 ft of distance in an open field?
A lot depends on your location. If you are in a location that gives you FCC Mode, then yes, it is possible. If you are in a location where CE Mode is forced, then probably not, unless you mod it to use FCC Mode.

Would the mavic 2s range be worth the extra cost? I'm trying track cattle on about 400 acre area, there are trees in some areas.

I would try with the Air first, from your first post it should work out well. I have flown mine out to about 1600' in a rural setting, plenty of trees, hills and a few houses. At that point I started to get video issues, so returned home. More than 1,200' in an open field should be easily doable.

I'm looking at 5500 ft in one area. I was hoping to cover the area I need in 3 sweeps.

I am sure you can easily do that with the Air, the longest round trip I have flown is a little over 15,000' doing 5,500' in 3 sweeps should be well within the capabilities of the Air. If you find it does not work out for you, then look into the larger Mavics.

I would try with the Air first, from your first post it should work out well. I have flown mine out to about 1600' in a rural setting, plenty of trees, hills and a few houses. At that point I started to get video issues, so returned home. More than 1,200' in an open field should be easily doable.

I am sure you can easily do that with the Air, the longest round trip I have flown is a little over 15,000' doing 5,500' in 3 sweeps should be well within the capabilities of the Air. If you find it does not work out for you, then look into the larger Mavics.
Define “sweep”. Is that 5500’ one way or 5500’ out and back?

It doesn't sound like you need a compact drone, just get the MP1, better range, battery life and price probably the same if you look around.

It sounds like the Air should have the range needed, but you might need more flight time. You state that you want to track cattle and there are some trees in the area. You may need to take more time looking in the tree shade for bedded down cattle or if you see something that needs more inspection. You could also use it to inspect fences, which would call for a perimeter flight. The MP/MPP & M2 are also quieter, especially with some MAS stealth props.

In open country (center-pivot ag land, zero wifi interference, launch from higher ground, no trees or nearby power lines), I can easily run my MA out to 7000' or more without loss of connection (indeed, continued good signals for both video & control). In my suburban neighborhood, I can get interference warnings barely 500' away. For the most part, I'm a strictly rural pilot so I don't really care about wifi interference. But I kinda don't think the Mavic Air is a great urban drone for exactly this reason. Doubtless others will have different opinions.
That is consistent with my experience as well. Anywhere beyond 1000' (sometimes closer) in an urban area I start getting interference warnings. I've never lost contact entirely (I've had the video disconnect for a second but still had control) but it's not a fun feeling. That said I've gotten out 1500' in urban areas from time to time too (though in parks without a lot of houses around, but otherwise in the middle of a city).

Thank you for your help. I'm going with the mavic 2 zoom, hope it can do the job a few times a week.
Glad you were able to make your decision.
I would recommend putting strobes on your bird for visualization at a mile away. There are many. I use Firehouse ARC2s, red, green, and 2 whites in aircraft type position on the drone. Aerial Pixel makes great mounts, but many just use Velcro.
Enjoy your new bird and the steps it saves you!

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Whats the difference in the Occusync in the M1 versus the Occusync in the M2, does it have more range or other features mine lack in the Platinum?

This is from my Airdata. My personal distance. I started losing video at this point so came back. It was down a straight river channel. I fly a Mavic Air.

Whats the difference in the Occusync in the M1 versus the Occusync in the M2, does it have more range or other features mine lack in the Platinum?
Good question. I think I read that O2 used both 2.4 and 5.8 for better overall range. Having said that it's possible that an M1 with the Force FCC mode would give better range. Meant to look up comparisons's on YT but haven't had the chance yet.

Features, yes :
Active Track 2.0 (follows downhill, avoids on the side)
Gimbal less prone to tilted horizon
Asteroid Quickshot
Hyperlapse
Side and top sensors
heavier

My own personal experience since buying the Air is about 1000-1200ft park flying next to a shed load of WiFi and interference and just over 6000ft in open countryside.

Glad you were able to make your decision.
I would recommend putting strobes on your bird for visualization at a mile away. There are many. I use Firehouse ARC2s, red, green, and 2 whites in aircraft type position on the drone. Aerial Pixel makes great mounts, but many just use Velcro.
Enjoy your new bird and the steps it saves you!
I agree with your recommendation. Even with strobes like Firehouse, keeping an eye on any Mavic at one mile will be very difficult, unless perhaps at night. I find that even at 1000 ', with the strobe, in daylight, it's difficult to find after looking down at the controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU